Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control Disabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use CC all the time, in various scenarios (freeway, 45 mph streets) and have never seen it. CC has been flawless for me. Maybe some of you with issues have a component with an older firmware version that hasn't updated and something needs to be flashed? I'd mention it to the service folks to have them take a look the next time your car's in for service.

Maybe a 'rolling reboot' would cover it, if you're brave enough. [not me!!]
--

It does not. If the cruise control system is disabled, the car must go into the "power off" state (butt lifted from seat such that "Car Off" shows on the center display). Reboots of both the dash display and the center screen systems do not solve this... I tried it when mine did it.

In theory, you could probably put the car into neutral, use the "power car off" button on the center display, then wake it back up, but my observation is that when you do this, the car goes into "park" when you wake it up and applies the parking brake. If you're moving, you're going to stop right where you are! Not a good thing, I wouldn't recommend trying it.

Had this happen to me for the second time yesterday (first time on 44).

Pulled off the highway onto the shoulder, came to a complete stop and put the car in P, and then hit the Power Off button in the settings display. Did not have to get out of the car or lift out of the seat.

Shifted into D - car immediately started - and cruise control was back.

So this happened to me for this first time. Was cruising at 69, 70. Wasn't doing anything in particular at the time; cruising along along the highway. When the cc gave out, it was quite disconcerting as at high speed, your car is actively braking once you exit cc. Since we were in "cruise mode" mentally, our disorientation to the situation was probably higher than normal, but having been in two AMGs that died on the highway (fuel pump failures) within 3 yrs of each other (and causing major highway blockage as they died where there was no shoulder on highway connectors), i'm kinda paranoid of highway failures. Also, driving home the rest of the way with the warning symbol on was annoying. So, no root cause available yet, I presume?

Last edited:
Those that have Mercedes/?? experience- all this is 2nd nature.

Btw, I only tripped out the CC once, when I actually wanted to continue to use it. As opposed to all those times when it cancelled out due to illogical/mis use. I had accidentally somehow discovered that the MS CC can be set below 30mph (the Roadster limit). Great news as this is often a better speed to cruise thru a town. To see how much lower it could be set I moved the lever toward the floor to lock in the next lower speed. 25 held but somewhere below that it failed and CC DISABLED screen appeared. I should go back & find out the exact failure point. I'm guessing 23??
--

In my Dad's Mercedes M class, the minimum speed for cruise control is 18.64 mph.
Below that, the car keeps any set speed in memory and you can restore the set speed after you accelerate over 18.64 mph.

So this happened to me for this first time. Was cruising at 69, 70. Wasn't doing anything in particular at the time; cruising along along the highway. When the cc gave out, it was quite disconcerting as at high speed, your car is actively braking once you exit cc.
What version of the software are you running? I have version 4.5(.48), but since version 4.4 I have not seen this problem again and I have put about 4k miles on the car with mostly cruise control.

Last edited:
It happened to me for the first time ever on the way back home from Rochester, NY to Amherst, NY. Light rain, temp in the 40's. I might have tried to activate CC by pulling back on the stalk without having previously set a cruise speed during that leg of the trip. When I then tried to set a speed I got the CC Disabled message. I'll see if the situation is resolved tomorrow. A reboot while rolling did not resolve. I just turned over 43,000 miles.