Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control no longer safe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks but I was not moving into the left Lane, just trying to drive straight on

Sounds like the same root problem to me. Same cause, different effect. A lorry incorrectly detected as moving from left to middle of lane - a phantom lorry.

When driving on the motorway in the fast lane and passing a lorry which is in the slow lane the display shows the lorry jumping into the middle lane. If this happens when you are passing a lorry the car violently cancels any lane change because it thinks the lorry is changing lanes when it isn’t.

However, I noticed that while I was overtaking the lorry, its depiction on the screen moved from the far left lane to the middle lane and went red as I was overtaking (the lorry itself remained in the far left Lane). Having noticed this it happened quite a lot

2020.8.1 (~March 2020) - the lorry on left lane is suddenly detected as being mostly in the middle lane (shadow mis interpreted?). That causes all sorts of false behaviour.

upload_2020-12-22_7-15-53.png

Last edited:
The purpose of this thread is two fold.

1) To share something I noticed to see if others have seen something similar, and to see if that helps 'whoever' to fix it.

2) How to get Tesla to recognise the issue and fix it?
1) done. +1 from me. I rarely use TACC, let alone AP, because it is so poor.

2) Apart from trying to coordinate a Twitter campaign on Elon, I don’t know what might be effective.

Reactions: Giri99
The thing that bugs me is that loads of people have reported this to Tesla over the past year or more, some taking the time to highlight how damned dangerous it can be, yet we hear nothing back from them about it at all, not even an acknowledgement that there are major safety flaws within the cruise control system. I understand that everyone tends to cut Tesla some slack, and that there's an assumption that, being who they are, it's OK to continue to release beta, safety critical, software in a mature product, but I can't help but feel that if this was happening with any other manufacturer there would be a clamour to get a recall to fix it.

I put in a service request because of it. After a lot of investigation they just said it was expected behaviour.

I think there's a bond spot in the cameras on the left, coupled with about 10cm over-estimation of proximity (it's overly cautious with hedges/cars/anything in the left).

It seems to me like we keep raising service requests for this. Log the time it happens over a number of trips, and then raise the request, quoting the times.

Reactions: Giri99
I put in a service request because of it. After a lot of investigation they just said it was expected behaviour.

I think there's a bond spot in the cameras on the left, coupled with about 10cm over-estimation of proximity (it's overly cautious with hedges/cars/anything in the left).

It seems to me like we keep raising service requests for this. Log the time it happens over a number of trips, and then raise the request, quoting the times.

I wonder if some of the online or TV consumer programs would be interested? Someone is going to get rear-ended at some stage. If the Tesla SC are publicly stating that this is "expected behaviour" then a decent solicitor or lawyer will have a field day with them.

Have started to get annoyed with TACC now - was fine for me until either the 44.10 or 48.x updates.

Yesterday had 2 strong braking events with a car approaching in oncoming lane, no danger whatsoever just a passing car in the opposite direction.

Will recalibrate cameras but if it carries on I just won’t use the system. If my wife had been in the car she would not have been happy.

My wife just won't let me turn cruise on. The moment she hears the "bongs" she tells me to turn it off. She feels so strongly about the adverse effects of some of the car's behaviour that it's now got to the point where she won't drive the car. I've been gently trying to convince her that a smaller EV would be ideal for her driving needs, but I feel that she's now associating behaviour she doesn't like from the Tesla with all EVs. It's not very rational, but I can see her logic - she feels that she's not in control when driving the Tesla, and isn't prepared to try and second-guess the odd behavioural traits the car has, she just wants to drive a car without worrying that it might do something unusual.

Reactions: Wol747 and Giri99
Have started to get annoyed with TACC now - was fine for me until either the 44.10 or 48.x updates.

Yesterday had 2 strong braking events with a car approaching in oncoming lane, no danger whatsoever just a passing car in the opposite direction.

Will recalibrate cameras but if it carries on I just won’t use the system. If my wife had been in the car she would not have been happy.
Agreed mate, this is a dangerous safety faux pas and should not be dismissed so easily

Reactions: Wol747 and Giri99
Sounds like the same root problem to me. Same cause, different effect. A lorry incorrectly detected as moving from left to middle of lane - a phantom lorry.

2020.8.1 (~March 2020) - the lorry on left lane is suddenly detected as being mostly in the middle lane (shadow mis interpreted?). That causes all sorts of false behaviour.

View attachment 620017
Looks the same. Thanks

Reactions: MrBadger
Is this specifically a Model 3 issue or all Teslas? I ask because I really don't have this problem on my 2018 X with EAP. Not saying I don't ever get phantom braking events, but they are infrequent enough and usually benign enough not to really bother me. I have learned over the years though to hover my foot over the accelerator rather than the brake pedal when using AP/TACC just in case!

I have a 2017 X with upgraded HW3 CPU and FSD. Phantom braking has made AP/adaptive cruise control useless, virtually every other car I pass will trigger a slow down. Its getting worse with every software update.

I look at FSD beta videos with envy, as the software in the beta is clearly much better than the software in the current AP system.

If you are been cynical you would almost think Tesla is trying to slowly 'break' non FSD AP before the new FSD software goes into wider release, and than hope people will get fedbup of duff AP software and upgrade to newer FSD code.......

It's not only the PBs: the lane changes on the S are iffy in the extreme from the viewpoint of a"normal", careful driver.
Sometimes the car ignores the command, sometimes (actually every time) it swerves across the lane and swerves into the other one, and sometimes it starts to change lanes then suddenly lurches back into the first lane.
99% of the time there's no reason for the behaviour. The lunges are particularly stressful. That and my wife's screams. And the subsequent conversation.....