Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control not available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update from my previous post...It did seem to fix itself after it entered deep sleep. For me, that meant charging overnight and it fixed itself by morning.

Also, a bit off topic, I tripped/overloaded the 12v socket the other week and it stopped outputting power. That too fixed itself by morning. Just in case anyone ever tuns into that too.

I got 2019.16 a few days ago and for the first time today now I don't have Autopilot, same as others report, no lines, cruise control, etc. Also no auto high beams.

I'll go to the car later and see if it's any different after a short sleep. I'll also try the usb key, but sentry mode did show it's working this whole time (although maybe the files are empty?).

Got the car to sleep, and had AutoPilot again for the return trip (~400mi), thank goodness, but while driving, AutoPilot just went out, and the lane markers went away, too, and it magically came back 2 minutes later. Man, not a huge fan of this unreliable behavior. :/

Tell me about it.
This morning I found this weird bug.
More of a minor issue but my auto headlights would not turn off this morning at 820am. So I turned the lights off. Then pressed fog lights to on. Then pressed the headlight to AUTO. It cleared the bug.
Oh and my blind spot detection wasn’t working on a bumpy road. A restart and sleep helped it get working again.

Same symptoms over here (2019.16.2 , MX100D, MCU2, was built in march 2018): also files on USB with 585 byte size. Simple reboot of car didn't work. Then Tesla NL advised me to "turn off the car" when I was inside the car, and stay in the car for 5 minutes. After that, you should be able to boot the car with the brake pedal? It didn't work, but when I opened the driver door, the car booted. After completion of the booting-process, cruise control (and EAP) was available again.

Last edited:
I got a reply on 5/13 from email about “Cruise not available” I sent to Tesla Support 5/6. When the support rep asked for details, I sent him a version of my long post #9 here. His response:

“In this instance I would recommend scheduling service at the closest Tesla service center to you so we can bring in the vehicle and run a full diagnostic on the issue at hand. Our expert technicians will be able to pinpoint the exact cause of your concern and will be able to further assist in getting it addressed in service.”

I’ve had a 5/16 Tesla Service appointment scheduled (via mobile app) since 5/6 (independent of this Tesla Support email incident), and was going to take the Model 3 in tomorrow, but 10 minutes ago I get this text message:

“Good morning Ellsworth ,
This is Saeed with Tesla Motors, diagnosing your Model 3 remotely.
Regarding the autopilot and cruise control issues, I reviewed your vehicle data and noticed a known firmware bug caused this issue. It is going to be fixed in firmware version 2019.16.
At this time there is no need to bring the vehicle to the service center and the firmware will be sent to your vehicle when it is available to release.
Do you like me to cancel your appointment?
Looking forward to hearing from you.”

So this is Tesla acknowledging that this is a software bug that they think they can fix. I’ll recap that our Late 2018 Model 3 LR RWD is currently running 2019.12.1.2 5c87371.

I’ve canceled the appointment and am hoping for the best.

For what it’s worth, my “Cruise not available” condition has never returned since 5/6. But its resolution and absence may turn out to be completely coincidental.

I now have 2019.16.2 and ran into this issue yesterday. Not immediately after upgrade but maybe a day after. I have the same empty video files on my hard drive. No cruise, no sentry. I will see what happens when I drive it after removing the hard drive.

This just happened to us this morning. 2018 Model X 100D 2019.16.2. A few days since last update. No simple cruise control or auto-steer. Auto headlights not auto.

Tried two-button reboot. No change. Ejected flash drive properly, two-button reboot, no improvement. Did discover all files in the RecentClips folder all dated today, all 595 bytes.

Did complete power-down sitting in car, waited more than 5 minutes, re-power with brake pedal. Freaked out a little when it didn’t seem like it had actually powered up, but the screens did wake when I open the door. Still no improvement. I have an appointment for June 6.

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl
@dennisvab: Did you Stop the DashCam software before pulling the drive (by holding down its icon until it’s red indicator extinguishes)? If you reinstall the USB drive, does it still write empty MPEG-4 files? Also, have you tried soft/hard rebooting the car since pulling the DashCam drive? I didn’t, but maybe it’s worth an experiment.

If no one else reports that removing the DashCam USB drive has resolved this problem for them, it will suggest: a) that it may not be a cause, but merely a system affected; and b) that my problem resolved overnight without any apparent action on my part. @Rottenapplr says Tesla “pushed a firmware reinstall” - I hadn’t heard of them doing that. Because I posted a few Bug Reports from the car (by voice); had scheduled a service appointment with the symptom described; and because our cars probably report system errors back to Tesla, it may be that Tesla “fixed” my car remotely - but without informing me in any way. I’d certainly want to know about any such changes, but I can imagine Tesla choosing not to draw attention by acknowledging the error. (Not suggesting that they have... I’m just looking for a plausible cause for the symptoms.)
I have also removed the USB drive and done a hard reset. Still have the problem. Tesla service on the phone were unaware of the problem. They will try and send a software update (or reinstall push). I am not really confident that is it...

I have also removed the USB drive and done a hard reset. Still have the problem. Tesla service on the phone were unaware of the problem. They will try and send a software update (or reinstall push). I am not really confident that is it...
Try removing the USB/turning off Sentry Mode, and letting it sit overnight?
EAP Missing after 2019.16.2
Hard reset might not be enough.

I used the Autopilot nicely while going to work in the morning. When I was coming back from work, I could not use the cruise control or the autopilot. I was getting the error message that cruise control not available. I tried the chat support in Tesla customer support but they could not help, at least at the level 1. they referred my case to next level. I was told that my Tesla Model 3 that was delivered to me on March 15 had 2019.4 software version. Did any one have this issue on Model 3 recently?

My cruise control quit working earlier this week. Turning off Sentry Mode fixed issue for me.

The following is an email I received today from my Tesla service representative:

"I am aware of this issue, it does not have anything to do with overheating of the processor, it is a firmware bug that is currently under investigation and has affected the majority of the fleet. Engineering is working to resolve this issue, currently it is listed as p1 or “critical” priority . This issue has been present since late last week and the amount of activity I have seen around it I would speculate that rectification, in the form of a new firmware release, is around the corner. The temporary work around would be letting the vehicle sleep, this will allow the DAS module to reset and it should resume normal activity on the next drive cycle, the issue will most likely reoccur though .Turning sentry mode off will allow the vehicle to sleep so this must be disabled in order for the module to reset."

My cruise control quit working earlier this week. Turning off Sentry Mode fixed issue for me.

The following is an email I received today from my Tesla service representative:

"I am aware of this issue, it does not have anything to do with overheating of the processor, it is a firmware bug that is currently under investigation and has affected the majority of the fleet. Engineering is working to resolve this issue, currently it is listed as p1 or “critical” priority . This issue has been present since late last week and the amount of activity I have seen around it I would speculate that rectification, in the form of a new firmware release, is around the corner. The temporary work around would be letting the vehicle sleep, this will allow the DAS module to reset and it should resume normal activity on the next drive cycle, the issue will most likely reoccur though .Turning sentry mode off will allow the vehicle to sleep so this must be disabled in order for the module to reset."
Really informative post. Maybe that’s why pulling out the usb cables can fix these issues since it allows the car to sleep.

Reactions: davedavedave
Great to hear that support can confirm a sleep will fix it.
Now... I would love to see a support-confirmed process on:
a) how to sleep the car
b) how to confirm the car has actually slept
Currently, the only feedback I get from attempts to sleep and successful sleeps are via TeslaFi. While I love the service, there ought to be a way to do the above items without a 3rd party service.

Also, I just had the "no cruise" happen on my drive to work today, where I suddenly lost everything (lane markings, pedestrian/bike/car markings, forward collision, lane departure, autopilot, cruise, etc), and it came back 5 minutes later.

So... it seems as though it's worse that I initially thought. At least on 2019.12.1.2...
Good: sleeping usually fixes it, if you can figure out how to properly sleep it
Bad: it can recur, and if it does when you're leaving for work, there's usually no quick fix (sleep/deep sleep take time)
Ugly: it can recur while *driving*

Great to hear that support can confirm a sleep will fix it.
Now... I would love to see a support-confirmed process on:
a) how to sleep the car
b) how to confirm the car has actually slept

This is what Tesla Service Center Eindhoven - The Netherlands advised me to do.
What I know, you can confirm the car is sleeping, when the airco stops working (and the very low background noise stops in the car). And when you try to hit the brake-pedal, it has very firm resistance, until the car gets out of sleep (that's what I experienced last two days). Curious if thee are other ways to know: the Tesla app on your phone cannot connect to the car, but that happens more often (no network connectivity, for example).

Maybe there’s hope in the deep sleep theory.... Got in my M3 today and had no cruise and no AP... so tesla advised me to go under software and security and power down, wait 90 seconds and press brake to wake up again. No luck. So I pulled the flash drive used for sentry and did the power down again, still no luck. I’ll get it do a sleep cycle tonight and see if it makes a difference.

This is what Tesla Service Center Eindhoven - The Netherlands advised me to do.
What I know, you can confirm the car is sleeping, when the airco stops working (and the very low background noise stops in the car). And when you try to hit the brake-pedal, it has very firm resistance, until the car gets out of sleep (that's what I experienced last two days). Curious if thee are other ways to know: the Tesla app on your phone cannot connect to the car, but that happens more often (no network connectivity, for example).

I saw your post, and have tried that, but was hoping to find a positive confirmation of sleep, since the amount of time we're expected to wait until it sleeps has been reported as anywhere from a few to 10 minutes, and I would really like to know for sure when I'm pulled over on the side of the road trying to reset it. :) Granted, on my normal commute, I can live without it, but if I'm on a roadtrip, I definitely want AP and all my safety features. Good to know about the resistance in the pedal; I will look for that when I try to sleep the car.

It does seem like my car goes to sleep when it loses all network connectivity when it goes into the underground garage at work every day, but I guess there's no good way to confirm it's gone to sleep unless I stay in the car and test for brake pedal pressure. :p