Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control on new Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pruitt

Pontificating the obvious
Jun 27, 2014
Casper WY
I did a demo drives of non-plaid Model S and X yesterday. One thing that kinda shocked me was that cruise control can't be used without autopilot. Is this true?

On my 2016 S I can flip the stalk once to active cruise control (which I use all the time), and twice to activate autopilot (AP1). There are many occasions where AP1 isn't usable because lines on the road are faded / absent, but I still have cruise control. I asked the sales manager about using cruise control without auto steering, and his response was "It's all based on vision now." HUH? I know, but...that's not what I asked. After several tries he seemed to comprehend what I was asking and said you can't activate cruise control without the auto steering. Again, is that really true?
If so, then by extension, if one purchases a basic S or X without autopilot, does it not have any cruise control at all?

Just on our first road trip for a while in our 2019 Model 3. Also surprised that we can not engage cruise control without autosteer. So very annoying and quite dangerous. A big fail Tesla!
I use adaptive cruise control without auto pilot every day. Auto pilot puts me to sleep at 3:30 in the morning. The Christmas update had a feature where one push could engage autopilot. Maybe a previous owner turned that on? You should be able to turn it off in settings.

It's called 'dumb cruise control' and no, it's not an option.
All Tesla’s have 'dumb cruise control', that’s when everything is turned off and the driver is driving manually.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All Tesla’s have 'dumb cruise control', that’s when everything is turned off and the driver is driving manually.
No, all Teslas have TACC. "Dumb cruise control" doesn't slow down for the vehicle in front of you, TACC does. The only Teslas that ever had "dumb cruise control" were pre-AP2 Teslas that didn't have AP1. Most vehicles with TACC have the option to disable it, but for Tesla, TACC has been the minimum available on any new (vs inventory) vehicle since AP2 was out in production.

Upvote 0