Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control on new Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pruitt

Pontificating the obvious
Jun 27, 2014
Casper WY
I did a demo drives of non-plaid Model S and X yesterday. One thing that kinda shocked me was that cruise control can't be used without autopilot. Is this true?

On my 2016 S I can flip the stalk once to active cruise control (which I use all the time), and twice to activate autopilot (AP1). There are many occasions where AP1 isn't usable because lines on the road are faded / absent, but I still have cruise control. I asked the sales manager about using cruise control without auto steering, and his response was "It's all based on vision now." HUH? I know, but...that's not what I asked. After several tries he seemed to comprehend what I was asking and said you can't activate cruise control without the auto steering. Again, is that really true?
If so, then by extension, if one purchases a basic S or X without autopilot, does it not have any cruise control at all?

I did a demo drives of non-plaid Model S and X yesterday. One thing that kinda shocked me was that cruise control can't be used without autopilot. Is this true?

On my 2016 S I can flip the stalk once to active cruise control (which I use all the time), and twice to activate autopilot (AP1). There are many occasions where AP1 isn't usable because lines on the road are faded / absent, but I still have cruise control. I asked the sales manager about using cruise control without auto steering, and his response was "It's all based on vision now." HUH? I know, but...that's not what I asked. After several tries he seemed to comprehend what I was asking and said you can't activate cruise control without the auto steering. Again, is that really true?
If so, then by extension, if one purchases a basic S or X without autopilot, does it not have any cruise control at all?
As others have pointed out, TACC and Autopilot are both standard today. Your sales manager may not have realized you were asking about your 2016. All cars now have both. But you activate TACC without engaging auto-steer.

Upvote 0
They all come with autopilot standard now. ... Not sure about the new S/X but 3/Y still has TACC without auto steer

There's still TACC, which is traffic aware cruise control and it still uses vision, but Autopilot comes on all vehicles...
Thanks. I did not know that. Still have the question about cruise control without auto steer, though. I tried several times but could not engage just cruise. When I activated auto steer and turned the wheel just a bit to disengage it, it disengaged cruise as well.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I did not know that. Still have the question about cruise control without auto steer, though. I tried several times but could not engage just cruise. When I activated auto steer and turned the wheel just a bit to disengage it, it disengaged cruise as well.
That's an option. I have TACC disabled on my MS. One click activates FSD/AP, but you can set it to 2 clicks activates FSD/AP and 1 click is TACC.

Upvote 0
It's called 'dumb cruise control' and no, it's not an option.

I had a slow down for an invisible man just the other day while using TACC to remind me ;-)
I think you're misunderstanding. Teslas have never had dumb cruise control. Cruise on my 2016 is traffic aware. The question is, is it possible to activate cruise without activating auto steer?
As others have pointed out, TACC and Autopilot are both standard today. Your sales manager may not have realized you were asking about your 2016. All cars now have both. But you activate TACC without engaging auto-steer.
Thanks! How do you do that? When I pressed the cruise icon on the wheel on the X it activated auto steer as well, and I could not figure out how to activate just cruise control.

Upvote 0
I think you're misunderstanding. Teslas have never had dumb cruise control. Cruise on my 2016 is traffic aware. The question is, is it possible to activate cruise without activating auto steer?

Thanks! How do you do that? When I pressed the cruise icon on the wheel on the X it activated auto steer as well, and I could not figure out how to activate just cruise control.
It's in the settings menu. 1 Click or 2 Click to activate Autosteer.

Upvote 0
Teslas did have "dumb" cruise control IF you bough them without the AP1 package, so up until sometime in 2016 or 2017, you could get a Tesla configured that way. I don't think you could have gotten the correct answer out of the showroom guy no matter what you asked, but it looks to me like your question was actually answered in #7 prior to you finding it in the manual... Since I'm replying to #8, maybe you overlooked that due to timing (you were probably typing #8 when #7 posted)?

Upvote 0
Sounds like Pruitt found his answer. For the rest of the folks, I've had a 2017 X (AP2) and a 2023 X. Both have TACC (without using autosteer). In the 2017, you pull the stalk towards you once for TACC, twice for autopilot. In the 2023, you need to set the setting in the Autopilot menu --> Autosteer Activation --> Double Click. I have no idea what the default is any more.
20230518_150033.jpg

Reactions: taldric
Upvote 0
I am picking up new MXLR next week, going from stalks on my S to stalkless, is going to be a significant adjustment, during my demo drive, I had such a hard time with the basic turn signals, kept having to look down (but think I will build muscle memory in a week or so).

What I was not able to test was TACC and autosteer (the sales folks were useless in this regard when I asked questions)

I have a basic question, and I hope you can help. Assuming I set double press for autosteer, how do I change from TACC to autosteer without disengaging TACC? Couple of scenarios I may find myself using this is 1.) When changing lanes (my 2016 Model S has AP and changes lanes) 2.) On some highways where I know autosteer does not work well and I want to disengage autosteer without having to break.

ps: I liked the green light chime at the lights, and glad it is free.

Upvote 0
I am picking up new MXLR next week, going from stalks on my S to stalkless, is going to be a significant adjustment, during my demo drive, I had such a hard time with the basic turn signals, kept having to look down (but think I will build muscle memory in a week or so).

What I was not able to test was TACC and autosteer (the sales folks were useless in this regard when I asked questions)

I have a basic question, and I hope you can help. Assuming I set double press for autosteer, how do I change from TACC to autosteer without disengaging TACC?
Press the button twice. It (double press) works with TACC engaged or not.
Couple of scenarios I may find myself using this is 1.) When changing lanes (my 2016 Model S has AP and changes lanes) 2.) On some highways where I know autosteer does not work well and I want to disengage autosteer without having to break.
The easiest way to disable autosteer while leaving TACC on, is to turn the yoke/wheel slightly.

• Helpful
Reactions: aiorbroke
Upvote 0