Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me tacc works well on the highways, apart from exceptions where the database is wrong. Speed sign recognition should fix that. Tacc on any other road is bad and will brake for "no" reason and scare me to death. I would also take a dumb cruise, unless they can stop the crazy braking...

Reactions: cdswm3
Are you guys serious that current system is good? Or that when activating TACC it can set +50kmh above speedlimit is safe? Or that it limits use of autopilot 30kmh below the limit is preferable?

Funny thing is that with any other manufacturer I would just accept it as it is. Because what else there is to do other than buy something else as next car if it's too annoying. But one of the best thing about Tesla is that the product I bought years ago is evolving over to a batter car. Some of these improvements come from complaints. Like automatic windscreen wipers that were rubbish at first, but now they are pretty decent and absolutely usable.

Of course you can't, but now we are talking with an option to settings which would take 5min to code. When activating TACC set either present speed or speed limit (+offset). I understand if you have accurate speed limit data and your driving habits are very constant, then the current system might be enjoyable.

Like this.

So sorry but those limits are not in the US cars. The only speed limit on the cars in the US is on local roads, the autopilot limit is ~10km (5 mph) above the posted speed limit. I wish the limit was 10 mph but they might change that some day.

It is pretty bad when other cars change lanes. I can understand that TACC doesn't understand yet when a car puts its left flasher on to go in front of you (which is quite bad, but understandable for a beta) but when cars are moving to another lane, it waits way too long before increasing the speed: the car is completely in the other lane and TACC continues to wait a little more, just to be sure you notice it is very bad at this... Also if a car in the other lane touches the line, then let's go hard on the brakes.

It is also too aggressive on the brakes. It should see things coming more in advance and gently slow the vehicule, but instead it goes hard on the brakes often. a 12 years old would be better at braking than TACC.

Cornering is also an issue: it is not able to see that it is not that bad of a corner and again doesn't need to go hard on the brakes

I live in the Appalaches which is a chain of small mountains and every time we arrive at the top of an hill, TACC isn't able to see enough forward for its liking, so again, let's go hard on the brakes.

There's also phantom braking.

Every cruise control has a way to "resume" the speed it was last set at. Tesla TACC doesn't have that, so every time you have to take over because of the previously said issues, you can't easily resume.

I was first impressed but over time I came to prefer the dumb cruise control I have in our other car.

• Love
Reactions: metamix
I also wish there was a "dumb" cruise control option, that just stuck with a speed. Braking on hills and corners where it can't "see" drives me nuts. I was hoping it would learn it was OK and be fine, but it does the same thing every time I hit certain spots. Now I have learned and keep my foot on the go pedal to maintain speed to avoid annoying driving behind me.

• Love
Reactions: metamix
Since the 2020.36.3.1 update and the one just prior (speed limit sign reading) I'm using AutoPilot much less due to the fact that it thinks the speed limit is 35 mph when its actually 65 mph. I pass speed limit signs hoping the car will see them so that I can engage AP again, but seldom does it seem to read the signs. Prior to the update the car would use the map data which is much more accurate than the sign reading ability of the car's software.

Hoping for a fix sooner than later.

Reactions: PianoAl
Tesla’s adaptive cruise control is terrible! It’s dangerous. It’s scary. I won’t use it anymore unless it’s wide open freeways. To many times the car slams on the breaks and scares the heck out of me and for no reason other than the system can’t recognize the difference between a safety issue and a normal curve in the road.The Tesla system gets confused and slams on the breaks.

FSD, lol. No way will that come to pass. Snake oil.

I also don't have much patience for TACC nor do I like how sensitive it is. I would prefer a dumb cruise control and I can speed up/slow down with the scroll as needed based on cars ahead. But it's probably because of my impatient nature and driving here in CA.

Many posters in this thread are correct -- TACC can sometimes work well, other times it's absolutely unusable. Here in Houston, it's completely unusable on the northwest freeway (US 290). It will constantly bump down your set speed from 70 MPH to 50 MPH and brake hard. It's too dangerous to use.

It frequently stops speeding up when it's unsure of itself. I'll have it set to 70 MPH, and a car I'm behind that was going 60 MPH moves over and is now out of my way. Yet TACC then won't speed up. It'll sit there at 60 MPH forever for no reason.

I've worn out the bug report button on my car, and I don't think anyone hears/reads those. TACC just keeps getting worse with every software version.

And to the poster that said that speed limit sign recognition will help, well that's great if you have HW3. Those of us with EAP and HW2.5 won't get that. We're gonna end up getting shafted because we paid for Nav on Autopilot and our cars can't even drive on TACC alone without being dangerous.

Many posters in this thread are correct -- TACC can sometimes work well, other times it's absolutely unusable. Here in Houston, it's completely unusable on the northwest freeway (US 290). It will constantly bump down your set speed from 70 MPH to 50 MPH and brake hard. It's too dangerous to use.

I have similar experience in SF when the speed limit suddenly changes to lower limit. I've encountered this at the same spot every time. So now I put my foot on the accelerator and anticipate a quick slow down. Worked well. But the car trying to be safe but it actually cause a lot of irratic braking for other drivers behind me.

It frequently stops speeding up when it's unsure of itself. I'll have it set to 70 MPH, and a car I'm behind that was going 60 MPH moves over and is now out of my way. Yet TACC then won't speed up. It'll sit there at 60 MPH forever for no reason.
Annecdotally, it will slowly speed up for me UNLESS I get impatient. I tap the accelerator and the car goes into launch mode and speeds me the way up where I find it dangerous. So I stopped doing this but ya I can see this isn't perfect.

After two 650 mile trips each way to N GA from S FL, freeway all the way, I have been happy with navigate on autopilot...I usually have trailing distance set to 4 or 5, speed to +5 except in Atlanta (+whatever there). 1 or 2 abrupt slowdowns in construction zones or for weird truck things (flapping tarps, large truck driving on the lane marker). Little squirrely letting it take off ramps with really sharp circles (they need to recognize truck tilting over warning signs :)). I do have warnings set to early as possible.

in town I use autopilot occasionally but then end up being first off a light and just have to turn it off, obviously. But really I enjoy driving so treat autopilot as something to play with in town and a massive stress reliever for long trips...love feeling refreshed after 12 hours in the car than peeling my fingers off of the steering wheel after driving through Atlanta during rush hour 10 hours into a trip :).

Only current annoyance is that autopilot doesn’t recognize the car pool lane in Atlanta..keeps trying to get you out of that lane.

Reactions: DDHEverything
TACC of TM3 is maybe the worst I have driven. I admit that one reason for being is that Tesla could easily fix these issues (which many are just preferences) unlike any of the previous cars that I've owned. Most of the issues are related to speed limit data which is wrong more often than right. The newest update is step to the right direction now that the car can see at least some of the speed limit signs.

Arbitrary max speed for autopilot is just stupid. Because speedlimit can be off even +40kmh I'm now able to drive +50kmh above the speed limit with AP on which of course is not very smart. But the system allows me to do it. And of course I can always accelerate more with pedal and system still allows it to autosteer. On the other hand autopilot is useless on roads where the actual limit is more than the car thinks because the max offset is not enough. Max allowed speed should be what the autopilot thinks is best it can do related to the road curvature, width, weather and what ever parameters they use.

Why the fck it doesn't catch the present speed when activating. Drives me nuts. Again 2020.36 makes things tiny bit better when I can touch present speed and it transfers to the TACC target, but it's still annoying and unnecessary to do every time I activate AP if the speed limit data is wrong. Now it even resets every time when changing lanes and reactivating AP. I'm not sure but I think it didn't do that before 2020.36. So the system works great only when I want to drive very spesific overspeed and when the speed limit is correct, sot that's maybe 25% of times I'm driving. I absolutely hate it when Elon and Tesla thinks they have very clever idea to automate something and they force it to you without option.

I would actually pay for rock solid basic TACC without any automation related to anything. Set the present speed when activating and don't change it yourself. Then, if I want, I would like to touch the speed limit sign and just then set the target to that + offset. Maybe double touch and activate active speed limit mode where the car accelerates and decelerates according the limits it thinks it knows. What if I could press and hold the speed limit sign and it would give me small submenu to select right speed limit. There could be blue lines around the sign so that I know the system is active, just like there is for TACC and AP. I guess someone likes the current system and would want it to be default. Great, give us an option for that.

I would also pay extra for even dumber cruise controll which wouldn't use radar or cameras. Of course this would happen only with warning notification when TACC doesn't have data it needs to work and it reverts to dumb mode. This would be great when radar is blocked by ice and whatever or when the sun shines directly to cameras just above horizon. The current system doesn't give any CC in conditions like that.

In stop and go traffic AP and TACC leaves way to much space between me and car in front. And when traffic moves again it reacts way too late and aggressive. I would prefer smoother and slower acceleration but faster response. When driving in high way and car in front of me changes lane or exits my car accelerates way too late. Many of these things could be in settings with some kind of slider or couple of presets how aggressive or smooth car is in different situations. Just like there is for auto lane change in FSD.
Have you ever let AP handle the car at 90mph/150kph? Scary.

That’s modus operandi for me most times but AP tends to get a bit squirrelly over 75mph/120kph
Let me contextualize my disagree

AP1 had/has tendency to hunt lane boundaries, doubly so in wet weather.
However, current AP is rock solid.
Perhaps there is more high resolution data here, though this is pretty extensive now for freeways and highways and would surprise me.

From your silent disagrees with anyone who believes autopilot nag defeat devices are not safe to use, perhaps you are using one of those? I have heard some of those heavier ones cause unexpected inputs into the expected steering wheel torque moment, which may be exacerbated at higher speeds(?). If you are using one, try removing it and see if that helps,

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Why the fck it doesn't catch the present speed when activating. Drives me nuts. Again 2020.36 makes things tiny bit better when I can touch present speed and it transfers to the TACC target, but it's still annoying and unnecessary to do every time I activate AP if the speed limit data is wrong.

Posted request on Twitter today:

https://twitter.com/IVIarkA/status/1314142952529235968

Please retweet/like/post similar - maybe he can influence it since other routes don't seem to be working?