Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control unavailable, with a twist (loss of all driver assistance features too)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not terribly stressed. I do use cruise on my commute, but it isn't a massive issue. It would be nice if we could switch back to "stupid cruise mode" but its a minor annoyance at most. I am somewhat curious what caused it. There was a steady rain, but not the worst one I've driven in. I also had a false alarm on the collision warning thing a few minutes before it error messaged where there was nothing that I could see that should have given it concern. I assume those two events must be related.

Maryland was really backed up and wasn't going to fix it for another 7 weeks. I called Raleigh, which I guess I should have started with and they scheduled me for a couple of weeks from now. I'm officially missing cruise control now.

I know you said "no apparent obstruction on the sensor" a few posts back. You may want to try really washing it well, and then, just for good measure, rebooting. Neither of those things could hurt, right?

Driving down the road today with the warning message still up, I leaped ahead of traffic from a stop light and changed to the center lane without a signal since I was so far ahead of the pack and I felt the familiar rumble of the lane departure warning. Looking down, the error message had cleared and all was well again. It was down for 7 days and about 350 miles, but all appears to be well again.

Driving down the road today with the warning message still up, I leaped ahead of traffic from a stop light and changed to the center lane without a signal since I was so far ahead of the pack and I felt the familiar rumble of the lane departure warning. Looking down, the error message had cleared and all was well again. It was down for 7 days and about 350 miles, but all appears to be well again.

Glad to hear it!

That is essentially what happened with me, though the error cleared faster than that.

It is of some concern that in both of our cases we might have had to have the service center involved for something that eventually took care of itself. If the error could resolve without any hardware tweaking, I'm thinking by definition it must be a software issue, right? While it's great that the software issue was able to resolve itself, the time it took, in both of our cases, isn't really acceptable.

I am curious about the whole thing. The service center asked me for a photo of the error message, which suggests that they weren't able to extract sufficient information from the logs to ascertain that it was happening (I find this to almost defy belief). They later told me that they had consulted engineering who advised them to bring the car in. I'm assuming that one of the sensors (my money would be on the radar unit) provided anomolous data and the software decided to shut down assistance features rather than risk an accident. I further surmise that after the unit returned accurate results for a sufficient period of time or miles, it decided to turn the features back on.

I'm going to try to email someone and see if I am able to get a more detailed explanation, but I don't have terribly high hopes for getting results. It happened on a rainy day, which can have a serious effect on radar performance, especially if they use K band. One would expect things to reset a bit faster if it was an isolated faulty return, however.

In my case, they and I knew what caused the initial issue: the sensor was caked in ice and snow. But then after it was cleaned and the problem did not go away, I too was going to be scheduled for a service center visit. If there is something that they can do software-wise in person, that they can't do over-the-air, they should correct that. It doesn't make sense to be hauling cars around the country for something that can be taken care of via software.

I believe there are now at least three of us in this thread that had essentially the same thing happen, but with differing (increasing) amounts of time taken for the error to resolve itself. (The third is quoted below.)

After three calls from Tesla, at least three reboots of the screens, (which did not seem to help), and driving for about 5 miles, the Driver Assistance Features Unavailable message disappeared. Cruise control was still not working and still showed an error until I stopped and shut off the car. The car seems to be working perfectly now. I am not really sure if it was the drive or the reboots that resolved the issue.

I've certainly rebooted way more than three times. I'd guess five times since the error first occurred. I actually rebooted this morning hoping for a new Arsenal podcast that didn't show up. I know I still had the message after rebooting, since I did it before parking at Starbucks and I got the annoying beeps when I retsarted the car. 10 or 12 miles into my drive, it spontaneously cured itself.

Same issue today for me on my 2 day old S85D. I immediately figured it was ice/snow so cleaned the sensor but it took several hours to self-correct. Agree I wish we could still have regular cruise if TACC and other features go off. I also have a BMW X5 that experiences the same issue when the sensor is snowed/iced over.

Same issue today for me on my 2 day old S85D. I immediately figured it was ice/snow so cleaned the sensor but it took several hours to self-correct. Agree I wish we could still have regular cruise if TACC and other features go off. I also have a BMW X5 that experiences the same issue when the sensor is snowed/iced over.

Next time (and every time) your radar unit is obstructed with snow or ice, please take a photo and post it in this thread: Pictures of radar unit obstructed: please post yours

Thanks.

I've had this issue twice now since the .154 update. No ice or snow on the radar sensor. Reboot did nothing. It did go away but only after I stopped the car and had driven for an hour or two.
I called Tesla service and they are going to check the logs. Haven't heard back from them yet.

Vehicle: Model S 85D
Tech Package
SW: 6.2 (2.4.188)

Howdy, All! Wulf here. This is my first week with my new S 85D, took delivery 2015-04-27. The first day - simply AWESOME. Second day: My car's parked at home overnight. Not charging. I wake up, get ready for work to head to Palo Alto from SF - as soon as the car powers up, warning chimes and "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable". I tried soft reboot of both the driver's instrument cluster and the main touchscreen - still came up with this failure. Then, I tried powering the car off completely. Power back on, same failure. At this point I was running late for work - so I drove without the fabulous TACC that I've been longing for. ::sigh::. Called Tesla Service when I got to work, they said they'd pull logs from my vehicle and get back to me. I didn't get a return call that day. Got to work, put the car onto charge, had a few meetings and then stepped out to get something from the vehicle. While I was there, I checked to see if Driver Assistance was working or not. Guess what? No failure.

That evening, drove home. TACC was working fine. Parked the car at home in SF. Not charging at home. Next morning, I get ready for work - warning chimes and same failure. Reboots and power cycle vehicle did not fix. Drove to work AGAIN without TACC [double ::SIGH::]. Parked the car, put it on charge. When I got ready to head home, disconnected the charger, and guess what? Driver Assistance features are working again.

Next day, same thing. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Today's Friday - and it happened AGAIN!, I've only had the car for five days, half of the time TACC isn't working and I have this failure staring at me as I try to be happy with the most expensive thing I've ever purchased. I called Tesla Service. Again, they said they'd have a technician look at my logs. I re-iterated that I've called before, was promised that logs would be looked at, and I'd get a call back *today*.

Although my car is drive-able, my joy is turning into a bit of frustration. It didn't help that Thursday I got a call from Tesla HQ asking how my new car was doing. I was very honest in my experiences so far. I hope they're listening.

Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely CRAZY in love with this car. BUT. I would expect Tesla to be tripping over themselves to get things right, RIGHT away. Especially in the first week of ownership. Today's the day for Tesla to match their words with actions, and at least call me back so I can get the car in for service. I've told them a number of times I work within walking distance of the Palo Alto service center - it's not impossible for me to get the car to them, but it seems like they're unable to deal with me right now. Kind of, well - annoyed.

Others here have stated they've experienced the same fault. Some have attributed it to debris collecting on the front of the radar unit. I've checked to make sure it's clean - in SF we have no snow, ice or lots of mud - it's clean as the day I took ownership. Has anyone else gotten this issue solved for good? Or is it the case that it was only intermittent and went away for good?

Vehicle: Model S 85D
Tech Package
SW: 6.2 (2.4.188)

Howdy, All! Wulf here. This is my first week with my new S 85D, took delivery 2015-04-27. The first day - simply AWESOME. Second day: My car's parked at home overnight. Not charging. I wake up, get ready for work to head to Palo Alto from SF - as soon as the car powers up, warning chimes and "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable". I tried soft reboot of both the driver's instrument cluster and the main touchscreen - still came up with this failure. Then, I tried powering the car off completely. Power back on, same failure. At this point I was running late for work - so I drove without the fabulous TACC that I've been longing for. ::sigh::. Called Tesla Service when I got to work, they said they'd pull logs from my vehicle and get back to me. I didn't get a return call that day. Got to work, put the car onto charge, had a few meetings and then stepped out to get something from the vehicle. While I was there, I checked to see if Driver Assistance was working or not. Guess what? No failure.

That evening, drove home. TACC was working fine. Parked the car at home in SF. Not charging at home. Next morning, I get ready for work - warning chimes and same failure. Reboots and power cycle vehicle did not fix. Drove to work AGAIN without TACC [double ::SIGH::]. Parked the car, put it on charge. When I got ready to head home, disconnected the charger, and guess what? Driver Assistance features are working again.

Next day, same thing. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Today's Friday - and it happened AGAIN!, I've only had the car for five days, half of the time TACC isn't working and I have this failure staring at me as I try to be happy with the most expensive thing I've ever purchased. I called Tesla Service. Again, they said they'd have a technician look at my logs. I re-iterated that I've called before, was promised that logs would be looked at, and I'd get a call back *today*.

Although my car is drive-able, my joy is turning into a bit of frustration. It didn't help that Thursday I got a call from Tesla HQ asking how my new car was doing. I was very honest in my experiences so far. I hope they're listening.

Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely CRAZY in love with this car. BUT. I would expect Tesla to be tripping over themselves to get things right, RIGHT away. Especially in the first week of ownership. Today's the day for Tesla to match their words with actions, and at least call me back so I can get the car in for service. I've told them a number of times I work within walking distance of the Palo Alto service center - it's not impossible for me to get the car to them, but it seems like they're unable to deal with me right now. Kind of, well - annoyed.

Others here have stated they've experienced the same fault. Some have attributed it to debris collecting on the front of the radar unit. I've checked to make sure it's clean - in SF we have no snow, ice or lots of mud - it's clean as the day I took ownership. Has anyone else gotten this issue solved for good? Or is it the case that it was only intermittent and went away for good?
I had the exact same problem in my 85D.
They said the logs didn't show anything but I left it for the day at the Rocklin service center and they were able to reproduce the problem and work with engineering on a fix. They told me they updated "the firmware" and it hasn't happened since.
Not sure which firmware they updated. The software version was at .168 both before and after their work so it was probably firmware on some of the other 55 processors in the car.
I'd recommend you schedule it for your service center. They should be able to fix it.

Thanks for the information! I'm still waiting for Tesla Service to return my calls. This morning [2015-05-01] was the second time I reached out to them [09:40 PDT]. I never got a return call from my first contact with service earlier this week, when they indicated they'd look at the logs the first time and get back to me. So, I'm reaching out to service, but no ACKnowledgement in return that they've looked at my logs, or seen anything, or even want me to bring the car in. Kind of strange.

A friend of mine is taking delivery of his P85D next week, my experiences in the first week of ownership are making him nervous, sadly.

I have thought that NOT having the car charging [or idle / sleep overnight without driving for 10+ hours] could be the reason why, unfortunately the car is a black box [for me] so I have no idea what processes run when car's off but not charging, or how charging or not charging overnight could affect Driver Assistance Features.

Glad to hear there's a resolution, I'm hoping for a tighter feedback loop with Service. SOON.

Cheers & thanks for replying!

Wulf

I had the exact same problem in my 85D.
They said the logs didn't show anything but I left it for the day at the Rocklin service center and they were able to reproduce the problem and work with engineering on a fix. They told me they updated "the firmware" and it hasn't happened since.
Not sure which firmware they updated. The software version was at .168 both before and after their work so it was probably firmware on some of the other 55 processors in the car.
I'd recommend you schedule it for your service center. They should be able to fix it.

Fascinating thread. I got my S85 April, 2014 and so missed out on the Autopilot hardware upgrade. I've been disappointed that my vehicle could not retrofitted with the Autopilot. Reading the thread reminds me of the, "Smart Cruise" in my 2002 Lexus LS430. That system was laser based and would cut out if the sensor got too coated with grime or wiper use was any faster than intermittent. I had assumed that a RADAR based system would be more usable in poor weather conditions. That apparently is not the case. Anyone having issues with ACC when driving into the sun after sunrise or before sunset when the rays hit the pavement at the critical angle? That was another issue with the laser system. BTW when the system cut out a big red triangle would appear in the central cluster with a, " Cruise Not Available" message. It was possible to go to regular cruise.