Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crunch! Falcon Wing Doors fail to sense obstacle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, maybe that's because I have done a poor job explaining my diagram! What I was trying to say is that if something is in the red zone, but nothing is in the middle non-red enclosure, the doors might open. If anything is in the middle, between the red zones, the doors won't open. I'm having a hard time testing this very well, but I do know if I hold a wrapped board over the door right above the articulating seam, the door opens and hits it. It's too hard to model all scenarios, so I was trying to generalize, just saying that those might be the blind spots.

edited to note: I don't really know where the hidden sensors are. Also, most X owners on this forum are complaining about weird sensitivity issues with their proximity sensors unrelated to the doors (bumper sensors). So it's possible this is all related to that, and there aren't really blind spots. I was just postulating and doing my best to say - if something's in that zone, maybe think twice.. for now.
Your angles definitely correlate with sensor designed field of view. Also you can see this with the bumper sensors and on screen display. Inorder to have whole coverage around the bumper, they usually need 4-5 sensors so that the field of views overlap

...I don't really know where the hidden sensors are...
It is a challenge to find the exact location of the Falcon Wing Door sensor on each side.

The side sensor appears to be lined up with the sensor on top. The Falcon Wing Door sensor is what is used to determine how far the front door opens. In manual operation, if you are standing in front of the sensor, the front door opens a little. Stand clear of the sensor and the front door swings wide.

Model X operation is consistent. It's where we stand that might not be consistent.

Our FWD clobbered my father the other day as he was reaching over to shut the front passenger door. Lucky just a bruised pride, and the FWD did stop moving after it made its point. I really have to wonder where the sensors are on these doors, because where I would expect them to be doesn't seem to work very well. I wonder if this isn't normal and the sensors are failing for the same reason all my FWD/Trunk/Frunk icons are greyed out most of the time?

Our FWD clobbered my father the other day as he was reaching over to shut the front passenger door. Lucky just a bruised pride, and the FWD did stop moving after it made its point. I really have to wonder where the sensors are on these doors, because where I would expect them to be doesn't seem to work very well. I wonder if this isn't normal and the sensors are failing for the same reason all my FWD/Trunk/Frunk icons are greyed out most of the time?
On the way down or up? Coming down, there are no sensors active - it stops based on resistance only. It hit my son in the head as well and scared him pretty good.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
here is another one:

Why This Tesla Model X Owner Can No Longer Use It

I have no sympathy for Tesla on all these bad X publicity they are getting. Well deserved and well earned.

What should have been an amazing successful SUV, they shot themselves on the foot by all by these gimmicky things that has now come back to haunt them. Many here saw this coming.

I am now worried about all the fancy stuff they plan to introduce in Model 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whenever something new is being done, majority of people fail to understand what's happening. People don't like change and also resist people who are causing change. Nothing can be done about it. This is just a small data point that won't matter in comparison to the accolades that Model X will bring for Tesla. These articles only show the divide between the present state of technology, expectations of people vs what Tesla is offering them.
In regard to problems with Model X, I think it will take around Q3 end before Tesla can bring Model X to a level where they can present it to average public without scaring them anymore than they already are with new technology.

Whenever something new is being done, majority of people fail to understand what's happening. People don't like change and also resist people who are causing change. Nothing can be done about it. This is just a small data point that won't matter in comparison to the accolades that Model X will bring for Tesla. These articles only show the divide between the present state of technology, expectations of people vs what Tesla is offering them.
In regard to problems with Model X, I think it will take around Q3 end before Tesla can bring Model X to a level where they can present it to average public without scaring them anymore than they already are with new technology.

I doubt this is the problem. It has nothing to do with change. By definition, Model X buyers are early adopters and embrace change. Change has nothing to do with it. It's about stuff working as advertised. It's about stuff not breaking or failing. It's about hubris.

The FWDs not having sensors on the way down caused them to scare the sh-t out of my son as one bonked him on the head...then stopped.

On the way up, I've not had any issues, BUT, that's because I try to be very observant. It's new and I am not used to them yet. Definitely think TM should have put more sensors in - it can't be that much more expensive, especially when the other option is an expensive repair!

I doubt this is the problem. It has nothing to do with change. By definition, Model X buyers are early adopters and embrace change. Change has nothing to do with it. It's about stuff working as advertised. It's about stuff not breaking or failing. It's about hubris.
I have been reading X forums for a long time now. If you would ask me, a lot of people here don't like the idea of a new type of doors. And I would say the average public will be far more scared of messing around the image of car that they have hold onto for so long.
Also, every new technology has problems in beginning. People are applying the standards of other much simpler products (who have stagnated for years and years) to an attempt to rewrite the image of a car.
Also, Tesla isn't advertising X at all. It is in "turtle mode". It will wait out and improve reliability of new features before it starts to project X with the same confidence it does with S.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic

1. I thought they fired that Hubris guy long ago.
2. I wonder about this. Is it that they felt so much pressure to deliver that they took short cuts on QA or made a conscious decision to have a lower QA standard knowing that they would fix issues later? Or did they just not understand how to properly QA what they built? Either way, it seems a bit odd.

As for the article saying Model X buyers are "beta testers", that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Don't they position auto pilot as beta (or did I get that wrong?) with the idea that the OTA updates would continually improve the capabilities? Maybe this is how they are trying to be different - put it out there quickly, get lots of feedback, make adjustments vs. taking a lot of time to develop test cases.

The do operate manually too. There is a lever on the B pillar you can use to open/close it to any position you want.
This doesn't seem correct although I don't personally have the Model X.

My understanding is a button is included to override these sensors on the B pillar. There is an emergency lever behind a panel to unlock the latches after a power failure or accident. And the door can be moved with a bit of manual force.

But the doors can not be operated manually by hand in a regular days to day fashion.

I think there's just miscommunication here. @fbitz777 was (I believe) asking if you could just open them manually - that is, "by hand". You can, but it's very difficult and requires the emergency release behind the speaker grille. They're not intended for hand opening. @aesculus means you can control the height of the opening/closing more granularly by using the lever on the B pillar. Start/stop/start/stop.. but it's still motorized. Just not "automatically" sensing the surroundings.

Internet journalists need something to attract visitors to their sites and thus anything goes. Most of the articles don't validate the truth or context or even care to provide the proper perspective.

A lot of the articles quote posts from this forum which actually represents a much smaller number of actual model x owners. Thus, all the discussions of problems faced by early adopters on these forums, give ample free material for these internet journalists to bash Tesla and Elon as that's what "sells".