Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ctrl-Bar - physical controls buttons for MY/M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks great! Future features should include buttons that will will pump car exhaust into the cabin, make unnecessary vibrations upon acceleration, leak oil on your driveway and take $50 out of your wallet every time you pass a gas station. We'll call it the 'good old days' package. ;)

Reactions: Jim R
dumbest thing every
Hi!

I just want to give people the choice to add led lights, premium buttons, myQ garages, speed trap warnings and much more to their car.

If you prefer your car without this, it’s completely fine :) I understand both views, and i think neither is stupid. It’s just about giving people the choice to customize their car.

Have a great day, and drive safe :)

Perhaps I’m in the minority. I do prefer physical buttons, tactile feedback, etc. I find I get distracted when simply attempting to change something with the heating, cooling system. I find the complete lack of buttons stupid and understand this may be the future, and I am trying to adjust.

Due to the way Ctrl-Bar communicates with the Tesla APIs and the latency caused by such an implementation, this isn’t for me. But I will be looking for future improvements or other options hopefully, if any arrive.

This looks like a decent solution - programable buttons.
Unfortunately, they look like rejects from the a klingon star trek set prop and no choice on backlit button labels.
But the idea is great. Hopefully more form factors and labels in the future

Perhaps I’m in the minority. I do prefer physical buttons, tactile feedback, etc. I find I get distracted when simply attempting to change something with the heating, cooling system. I find the complete lack of buttons stupid and understand this may be the future, and I am trying to adjust.

Due to the way Ctrl-Bar communicates with the Tesla APIs and the latency caused by such an implementation, this isn’t for me. But I will be looking for future improvements or other options hopefully, if any arrive.
Hi!
We’ve solved the latency by having a screen on the Ctrl-Bar. When you make changes it’s displayed without any delay on the Ctrl-Bar screen. It then sends the command to your car. The API is very responsive. Just try to sit in your car and unlock/lock it. Happens in under 0,5 seconds. Hopefully this helped :)

• Informative
Reactions: David99 and brkaus
Hi!
We’ve solved the latency by having a screen on the Ctrl-Bar. When you make changes it’s displayed without any delay on the Ctrl-Bar screen. It then sends the command to your car. The API is very responsive. Just try to sit in your car and unlock/lock it. Happens in under 0,5 seconds. Hopefully this helped :)
'... by having a screen on the Ctrl-Bar.' there is a screen, where ?

I think hybrid (touch and physical) car interfaces are the best option for both safety and flexibility, and this looks great, however I'm surprised by the omission of a volume knob, and not using the OBD connection seems very dumb and limiting, especially if that means no wiper or light controls and other driving-critical areas that already have lousy implementations from Tesla. With the added bloat of the LEDs and phone app support to further increase the price, no thanks.

It is programmable and there are two knobs, so I assume you could have one for temperature and one for volume.
It looks like the API does include volume support, and this would be strictly firmware based regardless, but the product info specifically mentions climate for the knobs and only the buttons being programmable for now. I am not seeing API support for wipers and lights, which the official app also does not have remote controls for either, but which the S3XY OBD buttons do support.

Tough crowd! 😄

I think it's a pretty good looking product and in theory should be useful for many people who wish for some physical controls but don't want S3XY Buttons for some reason.

It's probably not something I'd go for since I already use S3XY buttons and don't have any need for the temperature knobs, but I think it's certainly intriguing.

I would be concerned about the following though:
-How will the USB power be routed to the rear USB-C port? Is the wiring all internal or mostly hidden until it gets to the rear and plugged in externally?
-The knobs seem to be lined up with the temperature display. I think there is a non-zero chance that sometime in the future the position of that temperature display could move with a software version update. Might be better to just make it not line up from the start. Perhaps put the knobs at the far outer edges of the bar.
-Seems like there should be more than 4 buttons given the amount of real estate on the bar.

The feature I'm most interested in is actually the ambient light. I'd consider buying something that sticks to the back of the display panel to emit ambient lighting and shuts off with the rest of the lights or when you leave the car.

By any chance, does anyone know if the sexy buttons (or this new bar) are going to incorporate windows with them any time soon? I’d buy one if they have a button for all down and all up. Bonus points for all down to the 1/2 position.