Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curb Rash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is it a lease? chances are it will happen again during the lease. Best to leave it until you give the vehicle back and chances are will be cheaper to give back without extra penalties compared to cost of repairing the wheels
Agree with this - if you've leased I would just leave cosmetic damage like this till the end unless it really bothers you.

Quite. In all honesty though I like to think I’m a good enough driver and plenty used to parking on the street. Just these wheels are punishing! As rincewind says, absolutely no tyre shoulder at all.

I’ve bought some touch up paint and once there’s a critical mass of damage I’ll cover it. Sod’s law I don’t hit them again for 12 months.

I also think I’m a good bowler when the bumpers are down. :)

Reactions: LEE3
Not exactly related but has anyone opted for alloy wheel insurance?

Sounds like it might be useful for this.
Ive taken insurance out for my SR+, im in the process of claiming, but the repairers have not been working for a while over lock down, they've, got an e-mail today, as they are up and working again, but have a bit of a backlog to get through... annoyingly it happened before lock down, but as they were mobile repairers i was waiting for the weather to improve before claiming, then lock down hit...

i used these for 3 year silver cover (M3P will probably need gold due to size), my lease is for 3 years so thought would go fr the full 3 years £109 for the cover, and max £100 per claim, so will cover most things, but not replacement, and i think upto 1k maximum total claim limit.

Alloy Wheel Insurance | From £69 Per Year | SaveMoneyHub.com

they are not worth it too many conditions photos of wheels. They make up any excuse not too pay.

Ive taken insurance out for my SR+, im in the process of claiming, but the repairers have not been working for a while over lock down, they've, got an e-mail today, as they are up and working again, but have a bit of a backlog to get through... annoyingly it happened before lock down, but as they were mobile repairers i was waiting for the weather to improve before claiming, then lock down hit...

i used these for 3 year silver cover (M3P will probably need gold due to size), my lease is for 3 years so thought would go fr the full 3 years £109 for the cover, and max £100 per claim, so will cover most things, but not replacement, and i think upto 1k maximum total claim limit.

Alloy Wheel Insurance | From £69 Per Year | SaveMoneyHub.com

they are not worth it too many conditions photos of wheels. They make up any excuse not too pay.
Doesn't seem to be the case,
Had to send photos when took out the insurance, and then sent one of the damage, spoke to a guy there when claiming who was helpful and o ly delayed due to covid, just in the backlog Q, will update when it's done.

I 'Ve seen others on here with it and already claimed a couple of times, I think it was @Roy W.

Had to send photos when took out the insurance, and then sent one of the damage, spoke to a guy there when claiming who was helpful and o ly delayed due to covid, just in the backlog Q, will update when it's done.

I 'Ve seen others on here with it and already claimed a couple of times, I think it was @Roy W.
I guess the question for me is how much do you actually save.

For my Audi A3, they charged me £36 per wheel for damage that was over and above fair wear and tear (which by the way assumes *some* damage).

In that context, insurance doesn't seem worth it to me.

But I don't know what the charges will be on the M3.

Well remembered @Radders :cool:

‘‘Twas me indeed. I’ve now claimed twice on my policy. I simply emailed them a photo of the damage, and they arranged a prompt repair in Derby within a few days. Absolutely painless, and no hassle at all. For relatively little money it gives me peace of mind for three years. Given how many people are finding how susceptible the M3 wheels are, I’m sure I’ll end up claiming again! :rolleyes:

For my Audi A3, they charged me £36 per wheel for damage that was over and above fair wear and tear
That’s very cheap. Back when I had a Nissan Leaf on a two year PCP I did damage one wheel very slightly. I was advised by the dealer to get it repaired before I returned the car, because Nissan Finance would simply charge me for a replacement wheel, at about £350. I paid to get that repaired and it cost me about £55.

Interesting idea. Did you drop the profile down to retain the rolling circumference or leave at 35?

No, I left the profile at 35. A 30 profile would be too low on a 245 section tyre. The wheels on the P seem to be made from cheese as it is.

My reason for doing so was having damaged two tyres in a pothole. I think I was lucky to have not buckled the wheels, and was looking to mitigate this risk in the future.

The 245/35 tyres offered a slightly larger sidewall, but also the option of a stiffer sidewall due to the higher load index available in that size. This also happens to be the size and load index of the tyre Tesla uses in its track pack.

An unintended consequence was that the wider tyre offers a little more protection from curbing the wheel, especially using the Goodyear tyre with the lip that protects the rim. I couldn't find much in the way of reviews on the Goodyear tyre, but coincidentally is the same tyre that Porsche uses on the Taycan and I've got no complaints with them so far.

I can recommend it. The car now steers a little more sharply (I imagine this is due to less tyre deformation due to the stiffer side wall) and I haven't noticed any significant change in road noise or energy consumption.

Last edited:

For my Audi A3, they charged me £36 per wheel for damage that was over and above fair wear and tear (which by the way assumes *some* damage).

In that context, insurance doesn't seem worth it to me.

But I don't know what the charges will be on the M3.
For me, it would also bug me too much driving round with curb'd rims, I'm normally pretty good and manage to keep them in good shape, but also as this was my first lease I though I would get the insurance (especially after reading other threads on here) essentially after 2 repairs it has paid for itself for me, and can take back to lease company after 3 years with no issues as well.

Reactions: Roy W. and bhav
I've created a Driver Profile called 'Parking' which is identical to my driver profile with the exception of the mirrors which point all the way down (similar to what it does automatically when you stick it in reverse). Hoping this will help when pulling in to park curbside.

Similarly the software update which will allow the viewing of the side camera feed I imagine should reduce the chances of curb scrapes.