Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a quote for a NEMA 14-50 with 60A wiring yesterday for about $1325 in OH. The main panel is on the opposite corner of the house so there is 75' of wire. Getting a second quote soon.

One thing I'm debating: we have a whole home generator and I inquired about hooking the charger up to that so I could charge even without power. I'd have to remove the range in order to make it fit. So is that the right call? Or maybe I'll just have them add the 110V plug in the garage to the generator and then I'll at least have some mileage if we lose power for a long time. I probably wouldn't have to remove anything to support another 110V.

We just bought a house and had a whole home generator installed. The electrician included the 110v outlets in the garage (to be able to open the garage doors as well as charging the car) but indicated that while it would be fine to use the 110v outlet in the garage to charge the car when the generator was running, he wouldn't hook up the 240v outlet. I believe it was because that would use up too much of the available power when we needed the generator to power other major systems in the house.

Last edited:
Finally VinsDay here!!! 255 with an EDD 9/2-9/4

edit, updated dates to sept not august 🤣
4F154EC1-87B4-4C53-B0A2-0213ECE534D8.gif

How I picture you when the VIN arrived lol.

We just bought a house and had a whole home generator installed. The electrician indicated that it would be fine to use the 110v outlet in the garage to charge the car when the generator was running, but he wouldn't hook up the 240v outlet. I believe it was because that would use up too much of the available power when we needed the generator to power other major systems in the house.
That makes a lot of sense. I didn’t think about just using the 110V until well after the electrician left.

Do they give VINs on weekends? Or is it a business day thing?

Update: Disregard... based on the Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker it looks like VINs are sometimes added on weekends, but it also looks at first glance like Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays are more frequent. If I get bored this weekend I'll do an analysis!
Semi-related but oh man seeing all those future "delivery" dates is a growing pet peeve of mine when I see that spreadsheet. This garbage data is bringing the averages down and I'm pretty sure Teslike isn't really paying attention to the survey or these forums anymore. I appreciate the work that was put into it, but it's a bit neglected.

Insanely short lived and zero feedback. I wouldnt have known the issue unless I called. No one reached out.

The guy I spoke with said this is a first for him in the 4 years hes worked for Tesla, but he did state that he'll ask for me LR to be matched soon with another inventory due to the "well here yours car. NOPE! Just kidding" thing that just happened.

In any case, an LR soon or a P soon. Real world issues.
This actually happened to me! Back in 2018 I grabbed a Model X P90 from ev-cpo. I never actually test drove an X beforehand but it looked like a good deal so I went for it. I showed up at the Devon (PA) service center a few days later to take an official test drive of a different X and mentioned how I already placed an order. The SA asked me to sit down and that the SC Manager would be coming out to talk to me... She comes out and tells me that she doesn't know what happened but the P90 I bought was never supposed to be sold and was earmarked to be sent to salvage or something like that. She said she felt really bad and offered to give me my first two annual service appointments for no charge.

I've never actually taken advantage of those annual service visits yet since Tesla said they weren't even really necessary anymore. I wonder if I still have them on my account...

Point is, I feel your pain... The moments after scoring an inventory car were unbridled excitement...

Reactions: Burgh
Well that was short lived.

The MYLR that I grabbed from inventory was placed by mistake. VIN was taken away and given to another customer in Michigan.

Supervisor stated my accounts noted to get a MYLR, MSM, White, 5 or 7 with 20s if one comes available in inventory. He also stated that the MYP is set to leave the yard on Monday so Ill have a VIN then. It should also be at my SC Sep 4th.

Well, that was fun! UGH!
I bet Elon's humanoid is dancing a jig right now!

I’ve read comments on this forum that said the Tesla certified electricians were charging $3000. Ours charged $1500, but it was kind of involved. Moving things on our panel, drilling through an exterior wall, etc. We don’t have a garage either. Not sure where you’re at, but we used Queen Anne Electric. We didn’t really shop around since we’ve used them for lots of other things and trust their work.
Yah, the Tesla electrician quoted me $2,500 for an easy 30 ft run from my panel in the garage to another spot in the garage with conduit on the outside of the wall. I thought it was a typo. So I checked. Nope. My aunt just got hers done for $300 from a private electrIcian. Very close to the panel but still. What a joke

Reactions: Quiet Coyote
Thanks for the link. Don't I need to use the Romex option if it is in the walls? NM-B Wire (Romex® Equivalents) | Wire & Cable Your Way
Romex is going to be an expensive pain in the butt. You need 4awg romex, 6 is only rated to 55 amps.

do yourself a favor and use 3/4 EMT (compression fittings) with 6 awg thhn (3 individual wires). It’s stranded and super easy to work with.

If you aren’t comfortable with the risk of doing it yourself, hire someone and get them to pull permits. Please just don’t cheap out and try to pull 60 amps on 6/3 romex.

Reactions: TESRP
Yah, the Tesla electrician quoted me $2,500 for an easy 30 ft run from my panel in the garage to another spot in the garage with conduit on the outside of the wall. I thought it was a typo. So I checked. Nope. My aunt just got hers done for $300 from a private electrIcian. Very close to the panel but still. What a joke
My electrician who did the install for $765, told me there is “certified by Tesla” and recommended by Tesla. Certified is they are trained to understand the requirements and how to install the wall mount but recommended by Tesla are the electricians that Tesla recommends and have to give a kick back to tesla for suggesting them

Reactions: PatrickTM and TESRP
damn all these stories of people doing it on their own makes me at least want to try...... I have a lot of questions for you, especially since you are in NJ and likely know any state-specific codes. Would you mind sharing a part list? Did you happen to also go from a basement to first-level garage? I'll ask a bunch of questions related to this that you can ignore if you didn't do this: Could you give me some steps to do that if so? Do you punch into the garage first and drop down to the basement as opposed to going from the bottom up? I assume the 2x4 that the wall studs are toenailed into would be on the concrete foundation of the garage, so I can't drill directly through that....how do you figure out how to get into the basement?

The guy in the video mentioned you need to attach the wiring to the stud within 6-12" out of the breaker. Do you need to continue attaching to studs throughout the run?
My set up was less complicated. My electric panel located in the garage. So all I needed is 12’ wire(got extra 20%), 50A breaker, 2 clamp connectors(1 from panel the other for outlet box). Keep in mind that 6/3 wire is very tough to work with(not easy to bend or cut). I’m not a pro and can’t give you any recommendations in your case. If you decide to do it yourself do a lot of research and watch YouTube videos.

Reactions: te$laWhy and TESRP