Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if this includes anyone in this thread... apologies if already posted.

Someone did earlier. So I checked with my SA today and he confirmed there is a "logistical delay" and was told he would have an update by the end of the weekend.

Reactions: Emmadiane and Peelz
For those in the Midwest and who ordered through the Eden Prairie/Hopkins/Minneapolis SC, I’m sad to report that I didn’t see any MY’s parked in the lot awaiting assignment/delivery. I did take another quick test drive again though and had a bit of fun to tide me over!

It's a dirt simple install - literally 3 wires. If an electrician can install a dryer outlet, they will have no trouble with a Tesla Wall Charger. What a qualified / licensed electrician can do for you is pull the permit and arrange an electrical inspection if required.
It all depends on where the breaker panel is and how far it is from the garage.. If the breaker panel is in the garage, it's child's play.. Installed my 14-50 outlet in like 20 minutes of work and less than $50 in parts..

Apparently someone WAS able to buy their $60K Tesla Model 3 on credit card, sort of and in 2018. Loopholes have been closed by now though and the same endeavor would not be cost effective today.

I have tried in the past to pay my mortgage in a similar fashion, and earn credit card points, but the math just doesn’t pan out.

Reactions: PatrickTM
You'll definitely want to check a few things to determine what wire and breaker you buy. If your distance from charger to breaker is more than 100ft, I'd really recommend going up a gauge to 4/3 THHN. Additionally, the specific breaker you buy needs to match the manufacturer of your circuit panel. Also, you need to be sure you have "overhead" on the panel, and this does not necessarily mean just having space on the panel to install a 2-place circuit breaker. You need to have amperage overhead as well - if you pull too much power the mains breaker will trip. In my case, I have a commercial-grade Square D Panel so I got a circuit breaker for that.

Most electricians recommend going with the THHN wire which can take a higher constant amperage than your usual NM-B at the same gauge. The electrician who quoted me $2,500 (!!!) was going to use 6/3 THHN wire, so that is what I bought - at this link: 6/3 W/GROUND THHN/PVC POWER TC-ER. I bought 65 ft, and ended up using 55 ft. Will probably use the 10 ft I have leftover to install a 14-50 charger at my vacation house where the run I need is just a couple feet. This THHN cabling is rated to 75 amps, but with a discount from me not totally believing that high rating, you are safe at 60 amps, and the tesla charger will only pull at max 48 amps.

Also, the 6 gauge wires are not color coded. You'll need a multimeter that supports continuity testing, and you should label each wire with a corresponding color on each end (red, white, and you can leave one black).

All in, I spent $150 on the cable, $30 on the circuit breaker, $500 on the charger, and about $15 for cable straps and such. The price on the cable has almost doubled (!!) since I bought it a month or so ago - dang worldwide supply chain collapse! But most people won't need 65' of cable so shouldn't be too bad.

I bought a 60 amp breaker from Home Depot, which is what is required for the Gen 3 HPWC to charge at its max rate of 48 amps (80% of circuit breaker rating). Normally at this high amp rating you need to buy a GFCI circuit breaker, but Tesla specifically says not to do this as the charger has its own GFCI built in.

This video goes through an install and is very good.
Thanks a lot for your detailed response. Do you think I can skip the Tesla HPWC and just run the wires to an outlet like the following and plug my car into that? I’m just posting this outlet for an example, I’ll have to do my homework to find the one with proper amps and all:

Any 6 awg wire will do trick if you’re hard wiring a Tesla charger. It’s wire that has to be UL listed. Home Depot or Lowes have it on spools you can buy by the foot. Make sure to buy enough for a service loop and extra room to mess up a few times. If you’re going the 15-40 plug route with an outlet, you can go with 8 awg. For a Tesla charger, go with a quality 60 amp breaker. For a 15-40, limit is at 40 amps.

Edit: follow the advice captainreynold gave lol
Thank you. I’d have to find a proper wire that can be used on the outside. My breaker is in the basement on the opposite side from my garage. I’d have to measure the distance but it’s probably about 60 feet of wiring.

It feels like the only people talking about this "firmware update" are from Bloomington area. Anyone else out there have their SA bring it up?
I’m picking up mine in Bloomington and my SA haven’t given me much, other than generic responses. She told I’ll probably get it roughly around the end of June (5/3 order). That’s all I could get out of her. Maybe the Bloomington expectee poster knows people on the personal level.

I got a similar text from my SA last Friday when I asked about trade-in options. He said that I was "soft matched" to a car that just rolled off the factory and that we should have a VIN "any day now".
We ordered very close to each other so here's hoping!

I may run by the San Antonio SC to assess the situation and see if my MY is just hanging out :)
Ask about MYP red :) ordered 4/2

Are you saying Tesla financing “is or isn’t the best”? Also did they tell you what credit score you need to get that great rate?
Tesla doesn’t actually finance you. They hook you up with a bank. In my case, they started me at 2.49 at TD bank, then I used ratematch to eventually get to 1.24, matching to DCUs rate, this time they switched me to JP Morgan

they don’t have their own bank lending or counterpart to something like financing through “Ford credit”

Reactions: elguapo
Thanks a lot for your detailed response. Do you think I can skip the Tesla HPWC and just run the wires to an outlet like the following and plug my car into that? I’m just posting this outlet for an example, I’ll have to do my homework to find the one with proper amps and all:

I have to be honest with you, I'd spend a lot more time researching and understanding this stuff before attempting it yourself. I'm not saying you can't, you absolutely can, but I came in to this with a good understanding of electrical work already, and even then, spent a month planning it and reviewing the electrical code requirements.

You can use that outlet - keep in mind, whichever outlet you choose, you'll need to get a breaker with a commensurate amperage rating. I'd keep the 6 gauge wire no matter what amp rating the outlet has to allow yourself expansion in the future.

Reactions: dsandhu