Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably, though it will probably be a little while for that change to happen as it would be contingent on Austin ramping up and producing a sizeable number of cars per month.
No, it should happen from the very first truckload of cars - Either they are going North or East; they are not going to be heading west... they can also go to Houston port for shipment to S. America....

I came off of hold last night and now this morning I have an EDD of January 16 - February 13. I'm not 100% sure but I believe my options now are to accept the VIN that's assigned or reject it and go to the back of the queue.

I'm military retired and getting ready to move home and I'd really like to have the new house bought before I get the Tesla. But if the back of the queue means July that's also a long time to wait. I'm just not sure what I want to do!

I'm sure it's all the people coming off hold at the first of the year slipping into the queue ahead of you. It doesn't really seem fair to me; personally I'd love June, that would be perfect.
Not sure I understand. At the end of the day the people coming off hold ordered before you. When they went on hold someone else who ordered before you got moved up. Now the person coming off hold goes back into line ahead of you. So they swapped. But Tesla only makes so many cars, and the same number of people bought before you. So in the end you get your car when you were originally going to get it…

I get there are exceptions but it seems to me it’s a lot of noise about nothing.

I came off of hold last night and now this morning I have an EDD of January 16 - February 13. I'm not 100% sure but I believe my options now are to accept the VIN that's assigned or reject it and go to the back of the queue.

I'm military retired and getting ready to move home and I'd really like to have the new house bought before I get the Tesla. But if the back of the queue means July that's also a long time to wait. I'm just not sure what I want to do!
Definitely a bummer that they make people come off hold when not ready when there are plenty of people who want the car now rather than June!

I'm sure it's all the people coming off hold at the first of the year slipping into the queue ahead of you. It doesn't really seem fair to me; personally I'd love June, that would be perfect.

You contradict yourself here. In one hand you say you get sent to back of the line, but next post you say someone got pushed by all the people coming off hold.

Put your car back on hold. There’s enough evidence (including your own just now) that coming off hold won’t put you to the back of the line. Yes there are vocal exceptions, but it’s pretty clear people coming off hold aren’t given current shipping windows.

Reactions: PatrickTM
You contradict yourself here. In one hand you say you get sent to back of the line, but next post you say someone got pushed by all the people coming off hold.

Put your car back on hold. There’s enough evidence (including your own just now) that coming off hold won’t put you to the back of the line. Yes there are vocal exceptions, but it’s pretty clear people coming off hold aren’t given current shipping windows.
That's not what I said--what I said is I believe if I reject my VIN assignment whenever it comes I think I get sent to the back of the line. Obviously I don't think you get sent to the back of the line when you come off hold, because I came off hold and here I am.

Even though I'm coming off hold, I just don't think it's fair that I pop in line toward the front of the queue when other folks who haven't been on hold have been patiently waiting. It's not really a debatable point, it's just how I personally see what's fair. Let's say someone ordered, and after two months put their order on hold. I don't think they--and that includes me--should pop in line ahead of anybody who's been waiting in the 'active' line two months or more. Anybody who's been 'actively' waiting longer than me should be ahead of me in line, regardless of my original order date.

And for all I know that's what they do, I don't know. But I feel bad for all these folks suddenly being pushed back a couple of months because of people coming off hold, especially when my personal belief is the vast majority of folks weren't on hold for personal reasons, just to manipulate the tax credit.

Definitely a bummer that they make people come off hold when not ready when there are plenty of people who want the car now rather than June!
I think the bummer is that there is no real penelty for doing this. The hold policy has been abused due to the BBB hopes and it looks like it may start again for the Ryzen hopes. Tesla would be better served just refunding the deposit and and forcing a reorder at current prices.

That's not what I said--what I said is I believe if I reject my VIN assignment whenever it comes I think I get sent to the back of the line. Obviously I don't think you get sent to the back of the line when you come off hold, because I came off hold and here I am.

Even though I'm coming off hold, I just don't think it's fair that I pop in line toward the front of the queue when other folks who haven't been on hold have been patiently waiting. It's not really a debatable point, it's just how I personally see what's fair. Let's say someone ordered, and after two months put their order on hold. I don't think they--and that includes me--should pop in line ahead of anybody who's been waiting in the 'active' line two months or more. Anybody who's been 'actively' waiting longer than me should be ahead of me in line, regardless of my original order date.

And for all I know that's what they do, I don't know. But I feel bad for all these folks suddenly being pushed back a couple of months because of people coming off hold, especially when my personal belief is the vast majority of folks weren't on hold for personal reasons, just to manipulate the tax credit.
Your personal thoughts are your personal thoughts.

If you wait until a VIN is assigned and then don’t schedule pickup instead of proactively going on hold, the end result is the same. Hold.

If you go to the dealership and reject the car for some BS reason, it’s SA discretion.

If you go all the way to schedule multiple times and then let it go to Hold by not scheduling, there is an unknown limit based on SA and who knows what else where they will force you to pickup or cancel the order.

A lot depends on your SA relationship. If you have a good SA you can pretty much do whatever you need within the formal rules and that includes multiple holds.

Not sure I understand. At the end of the day the people coming off hold ordered before you. When they went on hold someone else who ordered before you got moved up. Now the person coming off hold goes back into line ahead of you. So they swapped. But Tesla only makes so many cars, and the same number of people bought before you. So in the end you get your car when you were originally going to get it…

I get there are exceptions but it seems to me it’s a lot of noise about nothing.
Do you use the same logic with real world lines? You wait a few minutes and then decide to leave the line. Come back much later and use this argument to get to the top of the line? Just tell people patiently waiting in the line they are going to be serviced when they were originally going to be serviced and the fact that you left the line and got back shouldn’t matter to them? Does it work?

is there evidence many people are gtting pushed, I remain 1/22 to 2/19 for several weeks. OD 9/7

Do you use the same logic with real world lines? You wait a few minutes and then decide to leave the line. Come back much later and use this argument to get to the top of the line? Just tell people patiently waiting in the line they are going to be serviced when they were originally going to be serviced and the fact that you left the line and got back shouldn’t matter to them? Does it work?
At places where they provide the mechanism to do so? Absolutely! Works like a champ! I do it at the grocery store all the time. Take a number. Wander around some. Come back. Sometimes the person behind me even benefits because I’m not there when my number gets called so they go ahead of me!

No one is being cheated in this scenario. A person at the back of the line either gets their car early, or gets their car at the time they were originally going to get it. If you are basing your expectations off the random and floating far future EDD that’s worse than throwing darts around because the EDDs bounce erratically as everyone knows. And all this goes away when Tesla can meet demand.

I think the bummer is that there is no real penelty for doing this. The hold policy has been abused due to the BBB hopes and it looks like it may start again for the Ryzen hopes. Tesla would be better served just refunding the deposit and and forcing a reorder at current prices.
Well ....it could be a win-win situation where you have two really really happy Tesla owners vs two pretty darn happy Tesla owners! ;)My build put on hold can help someone reach their car dreams sooner and I could delay a bit for some hopes and dreams of some features I'd like to have that I didn't know were possibilities when I placed the order. Anyhooo, a gal can hope. (Also, I wouldn't mind terribly maybe paying a $50 a month holding fee or something like that if Tesla wanted to impose a penalty.)

At places where they provide the mechanism to do so? Absolutely! Works like a champ! I do it at the grocery store all the time. Take a number. Wander around some. Come back. Sometimes the person behind me even benefits because I’m not there when my number gets called so they go ahead of me!

No one is being cheated in this scenario. A person at the back of the line either gets their car early, or gets their car at the time they were originally going to get it. If you are basing your expectations off the random and floating far future EDD that’s worse than throwing darts around because the EDDs bounce erratically as everyone knows. And all this goes away when Tesla can meet demand.
Again in real world “take a number” if you are not there when your number is called they tell you to take another number. Your turn came and you weren’t around. You can’t come back when you feel like it and make an argument it makes no difference to folks whose number is about to be called since they shouldn’t have been called so early anyway and only got the opportunity since you weren’t around when your number was called.

Honestly Tesla should just do away with this idiotic hold policy. Sure if the person was unable to accept the order due to a vacation I can understand Tesla making some accommodation. As for as other who order with no intention of accepting their order when their turn comes, just return their order fee and ask them to order when they are readily ready.