Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone confirm this *sugar* show that happened today…

12/26/2021 - Order Placed for MYP

EDD 1/11/2022 - 2/8/2022

12/28/21 - Assigned VIN

EDD updated to 12/31/21 - 1/8/2022

12/29/21 - Text at 7PM stating “Model Y is being built in the next 1-2 days, be ready for a text to schedule delivery”

12/30/21 - Text at 11AM saying my Model Y is ready, and pickup is scheduled for tomorrow at 4PM. If I do not deposit my down payment by 2PM, I lose the car

I respond with saying I was not even given a choice for a pickup day, you scheduled a day and time with zero communication from me, and then threaten to unassign the VIN if I do pickup today or tomorrow at 4PM

With no response at all, I look at my tesla app at 1:30PM and see my VIN was removed, and now my “delivery is on hold”

I send two more follow up messages trying to figure out why they couldn’t even wait until Saturday when I’m back in town to pickup, no response.

Is this par for the course? Who the hell does this? You gave me 3 hours to deposit money and not once asked if the date/time scheduled I would even be available, then I’m thrown into the abyss on hold and my assigned car is gone…

Can I even reach out to anyone about this? My SA didn’t give me an extension, and isn’t responding to texts…so lost and frustrated.

Also, yes I know this was insanely quick from time of order -> ready, but clearly that worked in nobody’s favor

EDD 1/11/2022 - 2/8/2022

12/28/21 - Assigned VIN

12/29/21 - Text at 7PM stating “Model Y is being built in the next 1-2 days, be ready for a text to schedule delivery”

12/30/21 - Text at 11AM saying my Model Y is ready, and pickup is scheduled for tomorrow at 4PM. If I do not deposit my down payment by 2PM, I lose the car

I respond with saying I was not even given a choice for a pickup day, you scheduled a day and time with zero communication from me, and then threaten to unassign the VIN if I do pickup today or tomorrow at 4PM

With no response at all, I look at my tesla app at 1:30PM and see my VIN was removed, and now my “delivery is on hold”

I send two more follow up messages trying to figure out why they couldn’t even wait until Saturday when I’m back in town to pickup, no response.

Is this par for the course? Who the hell does this? You gave me 3 hours to deposit money and not once asked if the date/time scheduled I would even be available, then I’m thrown into the abyss on hold and my assigned car is gone…

Can I even reach out to anyone about this? My SA didn’t give me an extension, and isn’t responding to texts…so lost and frustrated.

Also, yes I know this was insanely quick from time of order -> ready, but clearly that worked in nobody’s favor
I think it's somewhat par for the 'end of quarter' course. There's a misconception out there that Elon sent out an email saying not to push for end of quarter deliveries. That's not precisely what he said. What he said was not to incur lots of extra cost to boost EOQ deliveries--not so much overtime, expedited shipping fees, etc. He wants to prioritize cost over deliveries, but he still wants to maximize deliveries where he can. So yeah, if they have a car at EOQ and you're not ready, they're moving on.

The thing is, EOQ is always crazy. But THIS EOQ is also combined with everybody being on vacation, so I'm sure it's by far the worst for them, sort of like tax season for a CPA. The problem is nobody on this board lasts that long so there's not really much collective memory from Dec 2020, but I'd bet anything it was just as crazy. Then you add on top of that some massive percentage of orders suddenly going on hold for the tax credit and I bet for them it's the worst clusteryouknowwhat of all time. Someone that one week has an EDD 30 days out all of a sudden is being asked to take delivery in three days because so many people in between pulled their orders out of the queue.

Obviously what happened to you was grossly unfair, but the answer is 'yes', at the EOQ they're going to do whatever they can to complete as many sales as possible. After hanging around this board for about six months now I'd say any other time I think you'd have been fine, but EOQ gets crazy. You add in covid and the tax credit to the normal December heightened instability and I wouldn't be surprised if this was by FAR their their toughest quarter ever in terms of planning, replanning, and re-replanning.

Last edited:
As they say, never say never. Things can quickly change. Tesla's demand and list prices in China's are on a downward trend. $%it happens.
It's possible prices will soften but not for at least 6 months.
At that point Austin will be producing steady volume, adding to Fremont, and maybe the both will catch up to demand. Maybe.

But no other manufacturer can deliver significant volume yet.
Customers wanting to join the EV bandwagon will have limited choices, prices will NOT be falling, and Tesla demand will keep rising in 2022.

China has an economy that's softening. Not an equivalent comparison to North America.

IMHO :)

Last edited:
Prices will change and quick.. Today there isn't that much of a choice out there , tesla is delivering more EV's then everyone else combined ( in the US) and they are proven.

So many NEW ev's shown in 2021 for a 2022 release and even more will be announced in 2022 . Many of them much nicer looking inside and more features then the Teslas.

Tesla is going to need to increase their options for people if they want to stay on top.
When other makers can deliver some volume, yes, Tesla will need better.

But volume deliveries by other manufacturers is far, far off.
Ford, 40K F150 Lightning and 60K Mach-E planned for 2022.
GM e-Silverado late 2022 best case, Bolt restart February, Lyriq late 2022.
Stellantis? Hyundai? VW id series might get 50-60K to the US next year.
MB volume? late 2022 best case. BMW?

Yeah, well, Tesla has time. And they'll deliver at least 750K cars to North America next year.
Then they'll upgrade. I think they're aware of the competition coming, but also mindful of their window.

If you are asking Model Year, they have been 2022 since November. But Tesla does not do updates based on model year, but when they are ready too, and random across the regions.

As an example, Rumor is that some, very recent MY may have the new AMD chip, but for sure, 2022s from November do not.
Tesla daily reported that recent delivery, Model Y I believe, had the AMD chip, new 12 volt battery and new camera harness. I was hoping for the rear double paned glass and cargo cover but that may be only future Austin build vehicles.

I think it's somewhat par for the 'end of quarter' course. There's a misconception out there that Elon sent out an email saying not to push for end of quarter deliveries. That's not precisely what he said. What he said was not to incur lots of extra cost to boost EOQ deliveries--not so much overtime, expedited shipping fees, etc. He wants to prioritize cost over deliveries, but he still wants to maximize deliveries where he can. So yeah, if they have a car at EOQ and you're not ready, they're moving on.

The thing is, EOQ is always crazy. But THIS EOQ is also combined with everybody being on vacation, so I'm sure it's by far the worst for them, sort of like tax season for a CPA. The problem is nobody on this board lasts that long so there's not really much collective memory from Dec 2020, but I'd bet anything it was just as crazy. Then you add on top of that some massive percentage of orders suddenly going on hold for the tax credit and I bet for them it's the worst clusteryouknowwhat of all time. Someone that one week has an EDD 30 days out all of a sudden is being asked to take delivery in three days because so many people in between pulled their orders out of the queue.

Obviously what happened to you was grossly unfair, but the answer is 'yes', at the EOQ they're going to do whatever they can to complete as many sales as possible. After hanging around this board for about six months now I'd say any other time I think you'd have been fine, but EOQ gets crazy. You add in covid and the tax credit to the normal December heightened instability and I wouldn't be surprised if this was by FAR their their toughest quarter ever in terms of planning, replanning, and re-replanning.
Thank you for the thoughtful reply, very well said and helps frame what happened to me.

I suppose I’ll empathize and just move along, I was just shocked at how quickly, abruptly, and passively the entire 48hrs came and went.

Going forward I’m just going to lower expectations and hope for the best. Back to vacation mode. Happy new year to you :)

Tesla daily reported that recent delivery, Model Y I believe, had the AMD chip, new 12 volt battery and new camera harness. I was hoping for the rear double paned glass and cargo cover but that may be only future Austin build vehicles.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Let's have the blogs reporting all these wonderful enhancements show us specific customers with the new kits.
Otherwise, grains of salt are advised.

Reactions: ImperfectTes
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Let's have the blogs reporting all these wonderful enhancements show us specific customers with the new kits.
Otherwise, grains of salt are advised.

A nice start but the AMD-chipped MY has a 339xxx VIN vs several 345xxx and higher that do not.
The rhyme lacks reason.
More evidence may be coming. We'll see as it develops.
Wishful thinking still needs some caution.

Need more columns since build date and VIN don’t always correlate. Could be a batch of a certain color Or something else.

Heard nothing on cargo cover, but if you look on the spreadsheet links a few posts below, a few reported getting the dbl. panes glass

EDD 1/11/2022 - 2/8/2022

12/28/21 - Assigned VIN

You were actually given the 3 days from VIN assignment per the order agreement. 12/28 assigned to 12/31 pickup. It was likely a car rejected by someone else so the “your car is being built” texts were BS. VINs are assigned when car is completed I think, not before. But yes, standard for end of quarter when lots of people are postponing delivery so they find the next person with the same build in the computer to match and your recent order was top of the pile so to speak.

So sad. Ours just moved back a month. It was 1/8. So sad. Probably from all the bastards coming off hold for like the third time.
6D1CC70D-21BC-4487-A071-B5622B4E9A5A.jpeg