Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally makes sense that they’d push produced vehicles to the end of the distribution chain to wait for software update. Curious about what they’re going to do in states like TX where you have to buy vehicle while it’s still in CA and then ship it here. I drove by Houston TSC and didn’t see massive MY inventory; actually only a couple on the lot.
I have already financed so I hope they just ship it. Which service center did you drive by? I’ve been resisting the urge.

Anyone know if Model 3s are going through the same thing right now? Too lazy to go check that forum. Plus, if I go there, I will miss the chance to refresh my account page looking for new delivery info.
Reporting in from the Model 3 board (SR+ ordered 4/5, for what it's worth), it looks like we've had the same dry spell of VINs that y'all have been having. Haven't heard any reports of homologation or firmware updates holding things up, though. It might be that there are a bunch of model 3s sitting in Tesla dealer parking lots like there are with model Ys, but it seems like Model 3 orderers aren't sufficiently motivated to do recon missions (I'm in Southeast Alaska, I have an excuse!).

• Funny
Reactions: Soosh and Emmadiane
Just upload current insurance on whatever car you have. Your insurance company can get it all set up without a VIN and just be waiting for you to provide VIN. It takes <10 minutes.
Thanks for that info. We did this upload today and it worked fine. One section for upload of the photo of your insurance card on existing car vin (which we did) or if you have it, new vin. Then a few boxes to fill in the policy # and insurance company name. Click and done.

As for our insurance company, they already know about the new MY and are also waiting for the VIN.

On the software, he mentioned that software updates take 40-120 minutes. Schedule your car to do them at night since car can not drive while updating we were advised. If this is true, then we can all do our new MY updates at home once the lot is allowed to let those cars go to new owners. Why not?
Because software and firmware are different things. Software updates go OTA, which is why you can do them at home. Firmware update likely has something to do with new builds and the cars cannot legally go to new owners unless they’ve had the update (or passed the inspection, nobody is really sure what exactly is holding the new builds up).

Everyone getting new cars delivered are probably getting older builds, of which there are very few, hence very few folks taking delivery.

We attended the eastern Tesla Virtual Orientation tonight online as a webinar with Q&A. There were about 130 expectant car owners online.
The program moderator offered a nice presentation, then answered lots of questions at the end.

When we asked about the delivery section of the "manage order page", he suggested using the dates you get when you placed your order as the rule of thumb. Seems watching daily it is really to get our VIN and pick up date appointment rolling! Thanks to that moderator "BT" from the Devon PA location. Good info. Might be any updates we read afterward should fall within this date range then.

On the software, he mentioned that software updates take 40-120 minutes. Schedule your car to do them at night since car can not drive while updating we were advised. If this is true, then we can all do our new MY updates at home once the lot is allowed to let those cars go to new owners. Why not?

I can feel the urge to take a drive up to Springfield again this week. If we find the storage lot is full, will try to take some pix to share here... The general reading from the webinar is the factory tells the SC what and when until VIN. Those field SA types apparently have no other info than we have until such time as a VIN is assigned, according to this webinar from Tesla tonight.
Probably because seems to be a more complicated (and hopefully one-time) firmware update vs a standard OTA software update. It may be related to recently updated electronics like a different microcontroller supplier.

My EDD is now June 1 to June 21. I was wondering if any of the cars are the lot could be mine, but I do not think so. Three weeks ago they had zero MYs on the lot. I will say the fitment on the cars looked very good. Only issue I spotted was with white bumpers not completely matching.
It's the shipping protection film that you see on the bumper.

anyone knows what is the software update they are talking about? Looks like all the cars held are because of that. I don't understand why a software update would hold a delivery while there are plenty MYs out there already.
Don't know anything official, but figured I'd throw my guesses into the mix:
  1. Musk said they switched chips to mitigate the chip shortage issues, and had to rewrite some firmware. So maybe it's an issue with the rewrite, or maybe some cars came off the line with chip/firmware mismatches.
  2. Apparently the next version of FSD is 100% vision based. So maybe it's a transition period where the cars coming off the line only have cameras, but the current FSD/Autopilot still require the other sensors/radar.

Don't know anything official, but figured I'd throw my guesses into the mix:
  1. Musk said they switched chips to mitigate the chip shortage issues, and had to rewrite some firmware. So maybe it's an issue with the rewrite, or maybe some cars came off the line with chip/firmware mismatches.
  2. Apparently the next version of FSD is 100% vision based. So maybe it's a transition period where the cars coming off the line only have cameras, but the current FSD/Autopilot still require the other sensors/radar.
Got it… thx