Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting week 2 of the “5-9 weeks” timing. Changing the subject to something not so depressing, what vehicle is everyone trading or selling for the Model Y. I’ll go first. I’m finally upgrading from a 2006 Honda Civic. No fancy dash screen and everything is manual buttons. Also manual transmission. Feel like I’m coming out of the Stone Age.
I sold my 2019 Nissan Leaf, which I really liked. Unfortunately, the 200-mile range (+/-) wasn't working for me with the lack of reliable CHAdeMO chargers in the area. I got a great offer from CARMAX, which paid for about half my MYLR, not realizing the crap shoot getting this car would be. The Supercharger and other network charging options is what finally convinced me to try Tesla. Luckily, I have "Old Faithful", a manual 2000 RAV4, to get me through if/until my Tesla ever arrives.

As an electrician that has seen no shortage of bad electrical installations and home owner specials I'd say.... Please reconsider doing you're own electrical work. You don't know the finer points of the electrical code and local requirements. The Canadian electrical code is 945 pages long. You don't know the finer details and the rules that over ride rules that over ride other tables. 90 degree wire has a higher ampacity rating in tables but it doesn't apply to most installations. 75C should be the default reference even if you have 110C rated wire.

So yes, while anyone can slap wire on a wall and tighten down lugs on a breaker or receptacle or terminal strip, it's not that black and white. I say this with no angst towards anyone doing their own work but as a word of caution to maybe reconsider.

I agree w/ this. I'm having an electrician install 2 14-50s w/ 6/3 today (two 60' runs). I was lazy and didn't accept the first estimate for a few weeks ($1200) and the price of copper pushed it up to $1500.

I do a lot of my own electrical work - and I'm pretty good at it - but I'm not messing around w/ this for safety and insurance reasons.

Reactions: elguapo and rmack
Do Lemon laws cover things like chip shortage :) I ordered 04/07 and seeing the few people that took delivery with the new chips all have broken down. I would suggest documenting everything.
Lemon Laws are different in every state. See the link on the bottom right of your "manage order page" for the link.

In NJ, basically they have 20 days to fix after notice or you can file for a claim.

Reactions: vitosans
I agree w/ this. I'm having an electrician install 2 14-50s w/ 6/3 today (two 60' runs). I was lazy and didn't accept the first estimate for a few weeks ($1200) and the price of copper pushed it up to $1500.

I do a lot of my own electrical work - and I'm pretty good at it - but I'm not messing around w/ this for safety and insurance reasons.
In my state/county, the homeowner is allowed to do any work on the home except for Air Conditioning I believe, but you do have to pull the permits for the work. So, the DIY work is inspected by the county (I'm outside of city limits), so you know that it's safe. I personally also have a background in electrical engineering.. I studied Electrical Engineering but never worked in the field.. I've been in IT all my life.. Well, I do have a business on the side to fix up and flip/rent homes..

You can qualify by donating $10 to one of their associated organizations. That's what I did (not a member of any of their participating organizations and don't live in the covered areas). Same as other people mentioned in this thread, DM if you want a referral code. It's only $10, but it at least cancels out the donation. The only other catches with the 1.24% rate is that you have to have an ongoing direct deposit for the loan term, which has to be 65 months or less.
@Sudsington , where is the donation link? I looked at the DCU.org and didn’t see any mention of donating to qualify.

My dates are now the closest they've been since April when they had early May at the low end projection. I was expecting them to jump back today as Tesla has almost never let them get below 14 days from the current date.

EXCEL_MjA6c5UvWy.png

And on all the electrical stuff - I agree with most folks saying its out of your reach to do. Definitely annoys me when electrical contractors charge an effective rate for 1 hour of work equal to the nation's median monthly income, which they are only doing because they know you own a Tesla, but probably you should have one do the install anyway.

It's certainly possible that your installation will not be difficult and not require much weird code quirks, but the opposite is true as well. Definitely have the DIY permit pulled if you do it and have it inspected, then you'll be sure.

Reactions: dsandhu
For all the DIY on the charger installations - I am on my 4th install of an EVSE at my house. I am not an electrician or very much a "handyman" at all, but I would feel comfortable installing the charger itself (i.e. mounting on the wall and running the wires into the charger) after seeing/participating in 4 - all of these EVSE's are pretty simple. BUT to run wire, change breakers, and connect to a panel - I wouldn't go near that by myself. Too much can go run and if you blow or destroy your breaker box that's a huge expensive replacement (not to mention a fire hazard). I would go with an electrician for sure.

EVSE:
  • 30 amp eVgo - aerovironment (installed by company); for 2011 Nissan Leaf; wired @ 40 amps + subpanel
  • 15 amp volt EVSE - bosh (installed by electrician friend with some help from me); for 2012 Chevy Volt; wired @ 40 amps (future proof)
  • 80 amp gen 2 HPWC - tesla - (installed by electrician friend and my help); for 2013 Tesla Model S 85 w/ twin chargers; wired @ 100 amps
  • 30 amp aerovironment - no longer with eVgo, but still keep charger & replaced 15 amp EVSE; for 2017 Chevy Bolt (bolt can take up to 32 amps, but I am not spending 300+ dollars for a new EVSE for 2 amps).
New Model Y is gonna charge off the Gen 2 HPWC already set for 80 amps, so 48 should be no problem at all for that circuit. No need for any modifications (even on the EVSE) since the car determines the speed even if more power is coming to it.

Car still on the "5-9" weeks for the last 3? weeks. Ordered 4/1 no FSD. Here in the DFW area, so I am not in some far off place (and really DFW is a huge freight hub, soo....). Delivery is to the original service center in downtown Dallas near Love Field Airport (Cedar Springs). So location and such is not a factor for me. I think there are only a few of us left with such early dates as I see many weeks later with dates or SA's with expected soon dates. My SA (in Utah because, Texas) won't respond to me when I ask about status - awesome. Seven weeks (middle of actual estimate from the first day of order) is tomorrow. Makes me concerned I will not hit the estimate window at all without a current VIN, no estimated time, and only 2 weeks left.

It also is very disconcerting when you figured I ordered day 1 of Q2 and might not see the car until the last 2 weeks of Q2; that is extremely bad service seeing how many other people have received vehicles already in Q2 and those ordering a month later getting their vehicles at the same time as someone ordering day 1 of the quarter.

DM me if you need a DCU referral. I get $10 and you get $20 for opening a qualifying account. I also opened my account recently through a referral from someone in this thread.
I got approved 1.24% which is valid till 45 days from application.
Nice! I’m not seeing how to DM you. Maybe because I recently registered I’m not able to. Are you able to DM me?