Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$850 for an installation of a wall connector on a 60amp circuit and a fairly good run of wire (pic attached). Not sure how that would compare to an installation of a nema 14-50 . Also not sure if the cost of a nema 14-50 outlet is officially qualified for the EV charging station tax credit, but it probably passes muster. Total cost of the charger and install was $1,350 ~ $945 net of tax credit. I'll take it for a safe system installed by a pro since I have absolutely no business messing around with that much juice.

Good looking install!

It's definitely not...ease up. I'm encouraging people to do research, not necessarily to just start putzing around with 220/240 lines. Watch some youtube videos, do some internet research, see if it makes you feel comfortable. This stuff is not hard. The honest truth is that if someone can learn how to do this stuff in a month at a trade school there's a good chance most people can learn to do it on their own with some research.

I have zero problems paying for things I don't want to do or aren't comfortable doing around my house, but people paying a lot of money for relatively simple tasks just because they thought it was difficult is almost shameful.
Maybe just spend the month and get an electrician license. Now you will save $1000 for your own charger, not getting into trouble with house insurance, and will be able to charge $1500 to install chargers for others.

It's definitely not...ease up. I'm encouraging people to do research, not necessarily to just start putzing around with 220/240 lines. Watch some youtube videos, do some internet research, see if it makes you feel comfortable. This stuff is not hard. The honest truth is that if someone can learn how to do this stuff in a month at a trade school there's a good chance most people can learn to do it on their own with some research.

I have zero problems paying for things I don't want to do or aren't comfortable doing around my house, but people paying a lot of money for relatively simple tasks just because they thought it was difficult is almost shameful.
It may be the case for some that the cost of doing the research, discerning reputable sources of information, understanding electrical codes and local municipal regulations, complying with insurance requirements, acquiring tools and materials, among other things, outweigh what it costs to hire a licensed electrician. There seems to be room for both approaches, and DIY installations make sense for those who are already familiar with this type of work.

Reactions: Sudsington
About the same here but I have a nephew that's an electrician
I studied electrical engineering long time ago but never worked in the field.. However, hooking up the outlet requires little electrical knowledge other than that you have to get the correct gauge wire and that white goes at the place in the panel where all the white wires go... ground goes to the place where all ground wires go, and of course, turn off the main breaker for the install... and the other 2 wires connect to the breaker.. It's not rocket science..

$850 for an installation of a wall connector on a 60amp circuit and a fairly good run of wire (pic attached). Not sure how that would compare to an installation of a nema 14-50 . Also not sure if the cost of a nema 14-50 outlet is officially qualified for the EV charging station tax credit, but it probably passes muster. Total cost of the charger and install was $1,350 ~ $945 net of tax credit. I'll take it for a safe system installed by a pro since I have absolutely no business messing around with that much juice.

I bought 33ft of 6 gauge wire , breaker, and 14-50 outlet-cost me 140 bucks.. Plan was to install myself-ive done it before. WOuld run overtop a 15 ft family room from box to garage. Crawled up, looked at what it would take to fish the wires into the box through the ceiling and wall, and near SO many other wires... I balked and called a pro. Got my bill- it was 300 dollars and looks WAY more professional than what I would have done.

Charging a near 60k car is a different thing than running a dryer. LOL

I studied electrical engineering long time ago but never worked in the field.. However, hooking up the outlet requires little electrical knowledge other than that you have to get the correct gauge wire and that white goes at the place in the panel where all the white wires go... ground goes to the place where all ground wires go... and the other 2 wires connect to the breaker.. It's not rocket science
Yeah I watched him do it, it is super easy but I understand why most wouldn't want to do it. Netter safe than sorry.

Reactions: Baruce
I paid $380 for everything here in San Antonio. The plug was put in probably less than 10 feet away from the breaker box, so maybe on the cheaper side but idk.
Who did you use if you don't mind saying?
I did a self-install but want to upgrade from a 40A to an 80A (Model Y and Model S load-sharing) and don't want to tackle that by myself.
Back in late 2019, I got some wild quotes from $2,500 - $5,000....

Maybe just spend the month and get an electrician license. Now you will save $1000 for your own charger, not getting into trouble with house insurance, and will be able to charge $1500 to install chargers for others.
It's a myth that you need a license to do electrical work. I do all my own electrical work and have had the city inspector pass it every time.

Reactions: Peelz