Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am more than likely going to punt on this one and be put back in to the queue.

I am posting my experience so others can get a feel for Tesla experience so they can make a better educated purchase.

Why on earth would the system assign a VIN with a delivery date that can't be met by THEM because it's on an internal service hold? Like, what sense does that even make?
I'm betting the Service and Sales systems are entirely segregated, so when the Sales system says "A car is ready - give me a user waiting for this configuration" it doesn't realize that the car has a Service hold placed on it.

I'm not saying that's OK, I'm just saying that's probably how it works. This is exactly the situation where Dealerships are actually good...because they actually buy the cars from the Manufacturer before reselling to you, they usually intercept these kinds of issues

^This.
I used to do all my own electrical work and get it inspected and then we moved to San Antonio where the city states:
The City of San Antonio Chapter 10 requires that a licensed and bonded and registered as an Electrical Contractor in order to do any and all electrical work.
Not sure where you got that code, but it's not accurate. The State of Texas has been very clear about this, as has the Federal government:

EDIT: I should mention that's the Exemption - The Code is for anyone doing electrical work requires an Electricians license, but anyone doing work on their own home is exempt from needing it. You still should get a permit and have the inspector look it over to make sure it's up to code (so you don't have any insurance issues if you have a fire), but you're free to do the work yourself. This is the case everywhere in the United States, as multiple SCOTUS cases have been decided around people being able to "modify" their own homes and cars.

Last edited:
Anyone recently install a NEMA outlet at home for charging? If so, how much did you pay for parts + labor to your electrician?
I'm in Florida. Just had an electrician come out to install a whole-house surge protector to reduce the lightning strike problem, cost estimate was $250. I asked how much to install a 50amp breaker and a 14-50 circuit in garage (right next to the box). He said he would bundle the cost and do both for $480. The job took about 90 minutes and turned out great.

Attachments

• tempImageAE3e1r.png
    tempImageAE3e1r.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 89
Not sure where you got that code, but it's not accurate. The State of Texas has been very clear about this, as has the Federal government:
The city of San Antonio's website:

IDK which one would take precedence, local or state. I tried calling to get a permit pulled to do the work on my chargers and they asked for my license #. When I told them that I was the homeowner, they acted shocked and basically said what I quoted before and told me to call an electrician.
So I tried to do it the right way by myself and that's a no-go (not like it stopped me ;))

EDIT:
I also saw this on the website you linked:
*NOTE: Municipal or regional regulations may override these exemptions, as outlined in Sec. 1305.201 of the Texas Electrical Safety and Licensing Act.

EDIT 2: I see your edit haha

No it's not. In the United States they can't prevent you from doing work on your own home, they can only make sure it's up to code if you do. They can require that anyone you hire is licensed, but they can't prevent you from doing your own.
That's a little bit absolutist. Before you do your own electrical work, you should understand how your locality views that work, if you require permits, if you require an electrician, and what the consequences are if you don't follow the "rules".

You should also train yourself with books, videos or whatever your medium of choice is to do it correctly. Just because you are permitted to do a thing, doesn't make it wise.

Anyone who has taken delivery recently, could you please confirm whether your car had mudflaps/ppf already installed by tesla?

Mine did not. I bought mud flaps and put them on this morning (got the car yesterday). Planning to get PPF soon.

• Informative
Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
I have to bring a Cashiers Check with me at pickup... My Credit Union where I have my checking account does not seem to be supported by their payment system (Can't connect to your Financial Institution), so I called Tesla and they said that bringing a Cashiers Check is fine.. Went to my Credit Union already and got the Cashiers Check... 3.5 hours until pickup.. I'm excited!!
Good news! I will be using the Tampa site to pick up my MYLR hopefully in the next few weeks. I bank at NFCU and was planning to use that account to make the payment. Looking forward to hearing about your delivery experience.

The city of San Antonio's website:

IDK which one would take precedence, local or state. I tried calling to get a permit pulled to do the work on my chargers and they asked for my license #. When I told them that I was the homeowner, they acted shocked and basically said what I quoted before and told me to call an electrician.
So I tried to do it the right way by myself and that's a no-go (not like it stopped me ;))

EDIT:
I also saw this on the website you linked:
*NOTE: Municipal or regional regulations may override these exemptions, as outlined in Sec. 1305.201 of the Texas Electrical Safety and Licensing Act.
That's the only place on the entire internet that's written...Chapter 10 doesn't have anything specific about requiring an electrician to do work in one's own home.

That's a little bit absolutist. Before you do your own electrical work, you should understand how your locality views that work, if you require permits, if you require an electrician, and what the consequences are if you don't follow the "rules".

You should also train yourself with books, videos or whatever your medium of choice is to do it correctly. Just because you are permitted to do a thing, doesn't make it wise.
Agreed with all of that, though multiple States and the Federal government have passed cases to say homeowners can do their own work as long as they're getting the requisite permits, it's up to code, and it's inspected.

:)We got VIN 187XXX, build 04.30 ordered March 22, delivery May 27-30!
Schaumburg SC.:)
David was right, car was at lot when I talk to him first time. I took a picture of window sticker with VIN.
Here is

Attachments

• D9CD1A96-2086-4B00-8C7B-80ED76FE8862.jpeg
    D9CD1A96-2086-4B00-8C7B-80ED76FE8862.jpeg
    758.3 KB · Views: 55