Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aren’t all of your examples though included with AP? What extra safety benefits does FSD give you?
I don’t think FSD adds extra safety. But his examples of lane changing no longer happen with basic AP. You literally have to turn it off, change lanes, and turn it back on. I travel a bunch in the car and the auto lane change or “one tap” on the stalk helps tremendously with respect to making it less tiresome.

same here really. save for the lane change thing. I liked that.... The demo we had was FSD. I did NOT like letting it take exits. I tried it all to see if we wanted it. I do not.

I see AP as an assistant, not servant.

but maybe if it gets better, theres some features I might like. who knows. But not worth 10k on the car price.
If they add the feature “I don’t need to pay attention or hold the wheel” then $199/mo suddenly becomes and insane bargain. But until then…

I don’t think FSD adds extra safety. But his examples of lane changing no longer happen with basic AP. You literally have to turn it off, change lanes, and turn it back on. I travel a bunch in the car and the auto lane change or “one tap” on the stalk helps tremendously with respect to making it less tiresome.
His examples didn’t have anything about changing lanes but I get yours (and his) point. Having not used a Tesla for daily driving (yet), this is why a subscription or trial period would be super helpful. I just don’t see how it would change my life enough to be worth $10k+ but maybe I’m wrong.

Reactions: Donncha and elguapo
Well last Friday I got tired of the date slippage with mine slipping to Aug 10th and no VIN. I called my [email protected] and we found a car in inventory but while waiting for the manager’s authorization code it was sold to someone else. Nothing new showed up in inventory so I called today and the manager found several options like my original order. So I changed color to MSM and White Interior, 7 Seater, 20” Induction. I’ll find out tomorrow how many days it will take to get to my SC. So, if you want a car the SC Manager can see inventory that we can’t see. This is a brand new car that is on a truck transport. I’m very excited.

I wonder if I can cancel my FSD option before taking delivery, if they make an announcement on the 10th that’s more favorable to me. Currently I’m all paid up for scheduled delivery on the 18th, including FSD. And how would refunding my $10k work if they do allow me to cancel it, back to my account via plaid payment system? Kinda thinking out loud here.
Don't you have the Remove FSD button? I removed mine after ordering but haven't paid anything upfront. Tesla will take long time to do refunds if they do.

• Helpful
Reactions: elguapo
His examples didn’t have anything about changing lanes but I get yours (and his) point. Having not used a Tesla for daily driving (yet), this is why a subscription or trial period would be super helpful. I just don’t see how it would change my life enough to be worth $10k+ but maybe I’m wrong.
It’s not worth $10k for current feature set, don’t get me wrong. But if I can finance that at 1.49%, it’s a lot more attractive. Lane change is the key feature for me. Summon never works right and stops in the middle of a parking lot and makes me look like a Teslassh-ole and auto park is also iffy and unreliable and, when it does work, makes you think you’re going to slam into another car.

Did all 4 of you take pics?
No. I was the only one. I don't think they knew why I was taking pics ('new owner syndrome' perhaps) but I talked to the model X owners after and they (really educated on Tesla and super helpful) opened the rear doors for another pic. Super fun experience for me and my kids being at a charging station for the first time playing games, music and taking pics. Never had that much fun at a gas station, haha!

It’s not worth $10k for current feature set, don’t get me wrong. But if I can finance that at 1.49%, it’s a lot more attractive. Lane change is the key feature for me. Summon never works right and stops in the middle of a parking lot and makes me look like a Teslassh-ole and auto park is also iffy and unreliable and, when it does work, makes you think you’re going to slam into another car.
Damn you. Now you have me rethinking my decision. Hopefully they’ll say more Thursday while giving me at least a couple of day to decide whether or not it’s worth it before jacking up the price.

• Funny
Reactions: elguapo
I don't know about that... I mean 199 works out to be about 4 years so if you've kept the car beyond 4 years then your waisting your money on the subscription. Personally I think the subscription for FSD is really only for people that want to use it once in a while when going on long trips (subscribe then cancel method) or people that lease. If you buy and hold your car for 4+ years then a subscription to FSD is going to cost you more in the long run...
All fair points ... if you keep the car for four years plus, but I think for a lot of people that's a big if. It almost automatically excludes anyone who is leasing. Most leases fall somewhere around three years. Does Tesla even offer a lease term longer than 36 months? I'm not sure but if they do it's certainly not anywhere I can find on the website. I was initially going to buy but in the end decided to lease. Based on everything we know about the MY (production moving to TX and Berlin, new batteries, more mega casting, etc.) I figured there was a very good chance that we could see significant improvements over the next two to three years. BEV in general are still so new and constantly evolving, that I just preferred the flexibility of a lease.

And even when I finance, which I generally do, I still only tend to keep the vehicle for about four years. I'm one of those drivers that just really values being covered by a warranty and roadside assistance, no questions asked.

All of which to say, if you know you'll keep the car at least four years (and really, it needs to be longer before you really start seeing a big advantage) then the $10k upfront is a good deal. Otherwise, if the $199 subscription price turns out to be true, then I still see a lot of people going that route. Plus, instead of wrapping $10k into your price and paying interest on it - you can get credit card points instead every month on your $199! That's a win/win to me.

If that rumor price of $199 per month for FSD subscription is true, it would be about $2400 per year or just over four years time to the $10K price up front. But then you will have to keep on paying, meaning if you keep the car ten years, you would pay $24K for FSD, $14K more.
IMO, full FSD is not reality yet. Musk surely knows this. He is trying though. The system seems to be frequently confused by real world roads and traffic at times, more so with multi lane access and ramps with missing lane lines. Hoping that the new Tesla Vision makes real FSD sooner and faster with AI in use... and our helping by driving as Beta testers in our new MY using TACC and Autopilot.

If you believe in and trust FSD (and want to spring for another ten grand), seems better off that you buy FSD now using todays dollars at a locked in price.
Totally agree - but you really have to know you're gonna hit that break even point. For me (and I would assume most people who choose to lease) there's no way I'd ever get there. See my reply to @digitalboi for more. I'm trying to conserve space on this 624 page thread! 😁

Got my VIN on Sat(June 5th) . 207xxx

Ordered 05/05 MY LR | White | 7 seats | Black/White Interior | No Tow | No FSD - Long Island, NY

EDD has been pushed to to June 20 - June 30 after VIN. Was June 13th before VIN.

called the pickup location (Smithtown), they checked and confirmed car is in production and yet to be shipped out, and I should get the automated text from Tesla once it is ready for pickup, in about two weeks. I also told him the estimated delivery range on the order page was somewhat confusing and kept changing several times for me, he said Tesla is aware of the issue, and is working on to making it more accurate.
I must be the only one on Long Island without a VIN yet ugh :eek: