Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Holy smokes, you guys. There are more people in this one thread than all the people posting on the entire Tesla forum combined while I was waiting on my S.

For context: I ordered my S in August. EDD was October. Then November. Then December. In the mean time, Tesla announced the first autopilot and I ended up with one of the first cars with AP hardware ever produced while everyone who took delivery in September or October ended up with a car that was instantly obsolete. Took another 10 months after my December delivery for the software to be pushed.
That's so awesome! You were one of the OG Tesla owners, so cool! I watched the old Tesla Bjorn videos of Millennium Falcon back in the day, learning and getting interested about electric cars, and you actually had one!

wasn't it when they announced the Model 3 they took downpayments of $5K for them? It seems like that weeded out those that were truly serious about getting them. Hell I'd put a larger downpayment down to get an earlier delivery, absolutely.
same thing here... when I was at the SC talking to my SA before placing my order I even asking him, can I give a larger down payment to ensure timely delivery? He said no because they're trying to get as many possible orders as possible, now that I think about that, it should have been an ominous warning that I'd be in this never ending game of insecurity about my delivery date. If they'd let me, I'd put 50% down today with a guaranteed delivery date even if it was October or November, atleast that way I could sleep at night knowing I'm getting it that day and could figure out short term transportation.

That's so awesome! You were one of the OG Tesla owners, so cool! I watched the old Tesla Bjorn videos of Millennium Falcon back in the day, learning and getting interested about electric cars, and you actually had one!
Indeed. It was really fun. The community was small but mighty. We helped educate each other and spent hours of our free time making videos and content, long before there were referral prizes. If you can believe it, this community even started a college fund for my son when I was pregnant.

And Tesla themselves published a story about me :)

VINs have to be coming this week or next for all of us August EDD people.

This is the overflow lot in Scottsdale for deliveries (with two rows cut out) and at least half the cars are Model Y.

9EC3CB7B-044E-4C32-9054-E91B5D409D3C.jpeg

Oh I 100% agree. They obviously built their business thinking everything could be solved with technology, which may ultimately be true one day, but as you start to have more mass market appeal and get past the early adopters, people are going to have MUCH different expectations.

Also I'm starting to believe your 20" wheel theory is correct and I am now fully onboard with this conspiracy to deny 19"-ers our rightful place on the road. DOWN WITH THE 20" ELITISTS!
I'm just saying, you look at the people who got vins today, or even yesterday. Didn't see no 19" in there.
MAYBE profit margins? Probably cost almost the same for them compared to 19-20". So that extra 2500$(or whatever it is for the upgraded wheels) is all profit for them.
Idk just throwing out ideas.

• Helpful
Reactions: GOVA
wasn't it when they announced the Model 3 they took downpayments of $5K for them? It seems like that weeded out those that were truly serious about getting them. Hell I'd put a larger downpayment down to get an earlier delivery, absolutely.
It was 2500$ just to order. I was a early adopter of the 3 and one of the few to get free supercharging.

Reactions: DaveGT and ajs847
Hahaha, sorry. I just converted my January 2020 Model Y reservation into an order the other day. Gonna trade in my first production Model 3. But this thread is giving me flashbacks of my "Delivery debacle of 2014" when it took 108 days to get my Model S. The prize was that autopilot was sort of invented in the mean time. So a major silver lining.

Guess I need to update my signature. Except - the damn Model Y will be white so I don't know what font color to use... ;)
No problem. Welcome to the mayhem though I feel like you are the crafty veteran with an eye patch who should be saying, "Back in my day when I ordered my first Tesla, we didn't have the internet as a coping mechanism.."

Model S, Model 3, Model Y = You are my hero

This place is filled with some Q-level conspiracy theories to help people cope. I think the reality is probably closer to them just getting in hundreds of thousands of orders, and constantly making new decisions on how to prioritize based on a ton of variables (part shortages, distance, time, revenue, etc.). Not to mention, you probably have people every day/hour either cancelling or changing their orders, which then throws the whole queue out of whack.

Imagine trying to take a hundred thousand orders, with like...50+ different configurations(?), and then prioritizing that with all the production/logistical complications that go into manufacturing a car. The biggest mistake here is just that they have this stupid EDD range that was probably built for a time when they could be relatively accurate, but that time was probably 6-12 months ago.
This!!