Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm looking at ordering a Model Y LR after my M3 went up in flames earlier this month (arson). Very sad to see Jan ETA. For those who've been on this thread and have been around awhile, maybe in the middle or an order yourself, how realistic are these ETAs? Am I crazy for ordering right now?

Thanks in advance.
They are realistic, be ready to wait. Process your order as cash, you can change it later if you want to finance. Don't do a trade-in until after you have a VIN, and don't otherwise sell your car if you need it before you are relatively close (a couple weeks or other manageable time to go without your car) to an average of 120 days from your order date.

Really sorry about your M3, that sucks.

So pretty sure I just snagged the Black LR inventory out of Vegas, its sitting in my account and all I need to do is setup financing which I figure I'll do once the banks are open and what not, and then also contact my SA.

VIN on the inventory is 263XXX

EDD on that is 9/10-9/14. I haven't cancelled my other order yet just due to what @dnstommy is currently going through on his inventory order

You'd be crazy not to (if you want one eventually that is.) There's no evidence the wait will get any shorter, only evidence that the line is getting longer.

I wish it was only highway construction. It's every street in the neighborhood I work on. I'm talking whole sections of streets cut out for water, etc. and not put back in place; chunks of concrete; broken curbs; sink holes from digging 100 year old row homes up to slap up new construction with full height basements. On a property that's only 14 feet wide, it's pretty disruptive. Sigh...
It's interesting potholes keep coming into the equation. I was just reading an article last night about Dyson's $700m investment in developing a car. A design element they considered was potholes and they equipped standard 24" (larger rather than smaller) wheels specifically to deal with them:

The car was exactly 16 feet long, with big 24-inch wheels giving huge ground clearance, helped additionally by the fact that it has a flat bottom. The wheels were one of the most interesting aspects of the car. The bigger the wheels, the less rolling resistance; and you can ride over bumps and potholes more easily. Rolling resistance consumes vital battery power and reduces efficiency and range. The placement and size of the wheels gave us some unexpected advantages in terms of comfort, especially over potholes and bumps.

You'd be crazy not to (if you want one eventually that is.) There's no evidence the wait will get any shorter, only evidence that the line is getting longer.

I wish it was only highway construction. It's every street in the neighborhood I work on. I'm talking whole sections of streets cut out for water, etc. and not put back in place; chunks of concrete; broken curbs; sink holes from digging 100 year old row homes up to slap up new construction with full height basements. On a property that's only 14 feet wide, it's pretty disruptive. Sigh...

ugh!!!

Reactions: PatrickTM
Would anyone like to be my referrer? I didn't and still don't know anyone with a Tesla besides all of you on this forum, so I never entered anyone's code on my account. I've heard you can do it afterwards through an SA, so I would be able to update it after I get my VIN

i won’t bug you but if you want my referral link, gladly share in a message. Just let me know.

Reactions: PatrickTM
Call and have them remove financing. It’s expired but your profile won’t show it. Set it to cash for now.
don't do this. you have nothing to worry as you get closer to actual delivery they will remind you that your quote has expired and it will re-run. Unless you tanked on your credit between order date and delivery you have nothing to worry. DO NOT remove financing unless you are certain about cash approach.. I am saying basis the exact experience as yours. remember most finance quotes are valid for at max 60 days. with Tesla everyone knows delays are inevitable.

Reactions: seandavis
Does anyone know if registration is in my husbands and my name do I need to do the financing in both our names? His Honda Fit was in both our names but idk if it really matters?
My credit union gave me a lot of flack for having my 3 registered to both of us but the loan in my name only. I eventually convinced them to let me but it required a lot of escalation.
Yeah, totally correct. Not worth much supercharging.

Back in the day they ran various promotions with referral programs. Sometimes it was first person to get 20 referrals get a free Model X, free Model S, and then every referral got you 10% off on a Roadster, so if you got like 30 referrals during that promotion window, you got 3 roadsters for free. I am not 100% certain that Tesla will follow through, they probably will honor the referral cars. Huge tax liability though. We will wait and see!
They definitely honored the non-car prizes. I have earned carry on luggage, a weekender bag (that I traded someone for a Kid's Model S), a jacket, and some super sweet arachnid wheels (Which I promptly sold. See: potholes above.) But the Roadster? We'll see...

I also got to take the 3, which does not have free/unlimited supercharging to South Dakota and back - 4,200 miles - for $0 in charging thanks to referral credits.

• Love
Reactions: chand and PatrickTM
All day I have been in the "generic January" EDD timeframe. Just checked now and I now have an EDD of December 13-January 2. Anyone else move out of "generic January"?
Same as you. OD 7/23 and went into generic January on Saturday. Checked last night and was changed to 11/15-12/5. The midpoint of that range is about four months.

don't do this. you have nothing to worry as you get closer to actual delivery they will remind you that your quote has expired and it will re-run. Unless you tanked on your credit between order date and delivery you have nothing to worry. DO NOT remove financing unless you are certain about cash approach.. I am saying basis the exact experience as yours. remember most finance quotes are valid for at max 60 days. with Tesla everyone knows delays are inevitable.
I second this. I’m still waiting, but my SA forwarded this very concern to Tesla Finance. They responded directly to me and said that my application would automatically re run when delivery of the MY was scheduled.
Now, when we ordered our M3 (same time as the MY), we weren’t sure when we wanted to take delivery and I didn’t want multiple pending loan apps. That was set up as cash and then changed to financing once we were certain the M3 would arrive first - the SAs seem to be pretty good at knowing how that side works from our experience.

Would anyone like to be my referrer? I didn't and still don't know anyone with a Tesla besides all of you on this forum, so I never entered anyone's code on my account. I've heard you can do it afterwards through an SA, so I would be able to update it after I get my VIN
I’m new to Tesla and haven’t referred anyone yet, so I’ll be your referrer! See signature for code. :)

It's interesting potholes keep coming into the equation. I was just reading an article last night about Dyson's $700m investment in developing a car. A design element they considered was potholes and they equipped standard 24" (larger rather than smaller) wheels specifically to deal with them:

I'll be that Dyson car really sucks.

ok, I'll see myself out.

This is similar to mountain bikes these days having 29" wheels instead of the 26" we've been used to forever. 29ers started on downhill bikes because the longer contact area smoothly rolled over the trail, roots, divots, etc. People loved the ride so much that they've becoming standard on all mountain bikes. They do ride incredibly smooth.

Weight, width, cost, and regulations are probably all at play hindering such adoption for cars.