Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

According to this, Texas is on the 2020 NEC, which requires GFCI for all garage plugs including 14-50. Tennessee is still on 2017 and didn't adopt the TIA relating to GFCI so mine won't be installed with one (which is good because my Juicebox doesn't work well with one since it has its own built in). The GFCI breaker is quite a lot more expensive than the "normal" kind.
Apparently GFCI is not required in my city and he sent me a revised quote for $900 if I need GFCI. Is GFCI recommended? this plus is going to be very close to the garage door.

Apparently GFCI is not required in my city and he sent me a revised quote for $900 if I need GFCI. Is GFCI recommended? this plus is going to be very close to the garage door.
I'm pretty sure all EVSE's have GFCI built in, but with a 14-50 plug it's possible something else could be plugged in that wouldn't have that. I'm not sure if the mobile connector's GFCI is as sensitive as some of the others, but with the Juicebox apparently the self test it does periodically can trip the GFCI breaker. If GFCI is required for the plug, I'd probably go hard wired, and otherwise just make sure whatever is plugged in has its own built-in GFCI. I'm going with the latter, since it's not required for me.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Mrkrazyk
View attachment 707092

Team .. I got this quote from a Tesla recommended electrician to install one NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage right next to the breaker. $750 for one plug. Does this sound reasonable?
I paid about $700 for a nema 14-50, so yeah that seems reasonable to me. Though They only ran 40 amp as the mobile connector (what I'll be using is rated to use 32amp), so going 40 amp was a bit cheaper than going at the higher 50 amp.

View attachment 707092

Team .. I got this quote from a Tesla recommended electrician to install one NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage right next to the breaker. $750 for one plug. Does this sound reasonable?
Try it yourself. It’s not that difficult of a project if you do a little research. I installed my Tesla Wall Connector and it only took me about two hours to complete. I did a video on it to help others if you are interested in taking a look at what goes into it:

Reactions: collaGOunltd
Every time my cell phone rings I hope its Tesla calling to say hey you can come get your car early like so many on this forum have gotten, but usually its just spam calls telling me about my federal student loans (which I don't have) or that my Windows is not working and I must call, or my favorite, You are wanted by the IRS and we will call the cops....

Chin up! I've been in my EDD multiple times only to have it shift away. But once I got below the 15 day threshold (like you appear to be) it all happened really fast! I really think you'll be getting your VIN soon. 🤞 Just hang in there!
Fingers crossed you are right. My EDD narrowed down to 14 days today (9/11-9/25). Hoping for some good VIN news next week. Day 98 here.

Not sure? This is what they installed:

*Dedicated QO circuit 40a - 240v up to 50'.
*With NEMA 14/50r, flush mounted outlet.

But I also had them install whole home surge protection as well, as new build here in GA requires it.
interesting. You can tell if a breaker is GFCI breaker by looking in the panel, it will have the little button on it for TEST similar to a GFCI 120v plugs you'd find in a bathroom.