Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
interesting. You can tell if a breaker is GFCI breaker by looking in the panel, it will have the little button on it for TEST similar to a GFCI 120v plugs you'd find in a bathroom.
Yeah don’t think it is based on me going down to check it, apologize for the terrible picture
81830199-59F5-4111-827C-1BF10A75B3E8.jpeg

Reactions: boingolover
is the ' whole home surge protection' included in the $700?
No that was additional item I wanted them to do as I was planning to eventually finish my basement, and reading up its recommended if you have multiple car charging outlets, which my GF is thinking of getting an electric as well, so just trying to plan ahead. The whole home surge protection cost a bit over $600, and comes with a $75K warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: Mrkrazyk
I know nothing about electrical work, but do NEMA 14-50 outlets typically have a button to test?
I do not think so, at least in my case. You have to switch off the breaker on main panel to turn it off. I keep it switched off until I get my vehicle.
My electrician said that not to use that as an on/off switch continuously and they are not meant for that.

• Informative
Reactions: NotElunMosk
No that was additional item I wanted them to do as I was planning to eventually finish my basement, and reading up its recommended if you have multiple car charging outlets, which my GF is thinking of getting an electric as well, so just trying to plan ahead. The whole home surge protection cost a bit over $600, and comes with a $75K warranty.
Fairly pricey. Would have expected ~$250. It’s about $100 to buy one at retail (home depot) and it’s not any more difficult to install, really, than adding another breaker.

Yeah don’t think it is based on me going down to check it, apologize for the terrible picture View attachment 707129
I know nothing, so I may be completely wrong here, but this looks to me like a single pole 40A circuit breaker. You would need a dual pole to get the 240v unless your panel is 240/480. Usually the 240v circuit breaker will straddle two slots to contact both of the 120v back planes to generate the 240v circuit.

Again, I know nothing, so I may be completely wrong here.

I know nothing, so I may be completely wrong here, but this looks to me like a single pole 40A circuit breaker. You would need a dual pole to get the 240v unless your panel is 240/480. Usually the 240v circuit breaker will straddle two slots to contact both of the 120v back planes to generate the 240v circuit.

Picture appears to be dual pole single switch breaker.
Like this one - Square D QO 40 Amp 2-Pole Circuit Breaker-QO240CP - The Home Depot

this takes up two slots, so even though there is only one visible "pole" / throw it's a two pole breaker.

Reactions: DaveGT

When they installed it, they did a test and showed me it was pulling 40amp at the plug, and electrical is something I won't touch myself, so I'm not as savvy with it as other things, so I'm trusting the electrician on this

Reactions: ConchChick
Reactions: PatrickTM
19 days in to my likely 120ish day wait… several boxes of accessories have shown up, the wall connector just got here today (18’ not 24’..🙄) I’m running out of install videos and am still unsure if it’s worth the headache or just pay an electrician… looking into bike racks for the kids and also running out of accessory videos… my wife is about to lose an eye when those eye roll muscles finally give out. I’ve decided to make a game of it…

“something really cool I just learned about model…*eyeroll* ..ing clay is that you can make almost any shape with it.”

“Did you know that Tesl… *eyeroll* is an acronym for teaching English as a second language?”

Some may say I’ve got a long 101 days to go. I say pish posh, I’ve only got 101 days to get more eyeroll!!
Love it!!!