Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually my grandfather always carried a knife wherever he went, it was a tool he couldn't (or at least wouldn't) do without. When he was bored he'd pull it out and start whittling on a piece of wood. He never once used it as a weapon. It's not my thing, I never carry a knife, but I get it. As it happens, I inherited one of my grandfather's favorite knives when he died. It sits on a shelf in a box, I get it out every now and again when I want to remember him.
I've carried a knife pretty much from 16 on (well, not at school) not as a weapon but out of convenience. You never know when there might be cheesecake or something like that... It's a tool just like anything you bring, your wallet is a tool, your watch, your phone... Because it is considered a weapon it gets a bit of a look, but we aren't afraid of a kitchen knife, but if someone is carrying it outside of the kitchen we probably should be... But it isn't the knife we should be worried about it's the person holding it, again the knife is just a tool.

I like the story Boing. Memories get attached to things and it is a blessing to give as well as get good memories from things. You never know what will become the thing a memory attaches too...

For what it's worth, the model 3 initially shipped with a common type of TPMS sensor. The new model 3's and all model Y's ship with a bluetooth based one that's specific to Tesla (because of course they do). They're a little harder to source, and a fair bit more expensive.
In this case, the BT TPMS is actually superior to the "dumb" TPMS my Toyota has. When I do winter swaps I have to go to a tire shop for them to re-register each tire to the car. It's annoying, and the car doesn't know which tire is which, just gives generic warning light when a tire is low.

My understanding with the Tesla BT TPMS is that you just drive for a while and the car will learn that tires have been changed, and also which tire is where.

Took delivery on the 8th, dropped it off on the 9th for wrap, frontal ppf, window tint (just the windows, not the roof)
eeek. Okay I feel your pain 😢 . Have you called to inquire what's taking so long? Or is that time they estimated for the work?

I hope to do the front ppf in a few hours. I know I am being over confident.

eeek. Okay I feel your pain 😢 . Have you called to inquire what's taking so long? Or is that time they estimated for the work?

@Jkpickles you're just doing a frontal PPF right? Hood, mirrors, headlights, and bumper? I think it's time you swing by their shop and have a chat.

14 days is simply too long. For a professional shop with multi-member team, that's a half day job (4 hours) max. Maybe a one day job if they're trying to also teach/train a new employee. There's no way they keep 14 days worth of work backlog parked in their lot. Way too much of a liability and that's just insane.

Weve been in contact, they dont seem to indicate anything went wrong or anything. Just maybe more work than they can realistically handle I guess, maybe. They estimated 8 days and we kept in communication early on even before delivery. So with that my expectation was Monday based on their hours of operation. Def kind of dulls the excitment of it a bit.
I dont have another car, so shuffling things around and relying on others is losing its appeal.

Reactions: PatrickTM
@Jkpickles you're just doing a frontal PPF right? Hood, mirrors, headlights, and bumper? I think it's time you swing by their shop and have a chat.

14 days is simply too long. For a professional shop with multi-member team, that's a half day job (4 hours) max. Maybe a one day job if they're trying to also teach/train a new employee. There's no way they keep 14 days worth of work backlog parked in their lot. Way too much of a liability and that's just insane.
Full wrap, frontal ppf. 8 days was the estimate initially. Im pretty certain the car sat for a week at this point.

There was a mention a few pages back about the possibility of Tesla prioritizing orders with their payment set to cash and I'm beginning to wonder if that's true. We order my wife's MY on 5/30, did the financing dance and all that jazz and didn't get a VIN till 8/30, picked up 9/16. I placed an order for my MY on 7/16 and using the experience from my wife's order, I set it to cash upfront.
My EDD has always been 10/15 - 11/4. It changed a couple days ago to 10/6 - 10/26 and today it says 10/1 - 10/20. The window literally starts next week. Honestly, I don't want it that soon. I was hoping for late december early January just to have some time to get used to one first and learn the car. Can't switch both cars to EV and then we're both learning as we go.
I know the EDD is fluid and nothing is set till there's a VIN but it's interesting that the date keeps creeping up and I've seen a lot of folks having the opposite. Makes me wonder if cash set up front does look like a favorable option.

OMG OMG OMG! BLUE BUTTON! Year added in front of my order! ABOUT TO CLICK IT!

(Am I oversharring at this point? The excitement just makes me do weird things)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 10.22.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 10.22.04 AM.png
    121.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 10.21.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 10.21.34 AM.png
    171.9 KB · Views: 67
Just a quick update: I took delivery Monday evening! Overall it seems great though a few things:

1. Seems like something is loose and clanking around while driving. Maybe a control arm? Not sure

2. Misalignment of front driver pillar and quarter panel and small paint chip in same area

3. Hole in fabric of driver mirror cover

4. Driver mirror seems out of focus?

I have a service appt Friday for all these issues, so we will see!

My daughter was SO excited when she saw it, it was so cute

CA627819-9DCB-4CD7-AD68-B9F9CF0A8115.png

Tesla implemented a new way to mess with me. Today on my Tesla app I went to scroll from my current Model 3 to my future Model Y and noticed a low battery icon. Hmmm, I thought. The eternal optimist in me got excited and thought my VINless MYLR (EDD of 10/13-11/2 for over 3 weeks) is active with a dangerously low battery and it’s unlocked. ;)

But the pessimistic me just chalked it up to some developer messing with me and is now giving me some other app to look at 100 times a day to see if the battery level changes OR if the Location will suddenly changed to “Fremont” rather than just refreshing my account to see if my EDD changes.

If some other current Tesla owner waiting for a Y can confirm they are seeing the same when they slowly swipe I’d appreciate it.

In this case, the BT TPMS is actually superior to the "dumb" TPMS my Toyota has. When I do winter swaps I have to go to a tire shop for them to re-register each tire to the car. It's annoying, and the car doesn't know which tire is which, just gives generic warning light when a tire is low.

My understanding with the Tesla BT TPMS is that you just drive for a while and the car will learn that tires have been changed, and also which tire is where.
Oh sure, it's neat tech, but our Audi measures tire pressure indirectly using the abs sensor and doesn't require a sensor in the tire at all. Not as accurate necessarily as an in-wheel sensor, but it's a lot more convenient.