Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Article on Tax Credits hope this is correct and it passes. In there it says:

“This cap is eliminated retroactively for vehicles sold after May 24, 2021 (Chairman's Mark, p. 30). This means that any cars sold by GM and Tesla after May 24, 2021 will be eligible for up to a $7,500 tax credit. In sum: the 200,000 cap removal would be retroactive and applied to Tesla cars bought after May 24, 2021. A $7,500 tax credit would apply to 2021 taxes that are filed in 2022, so buyers would receive the credit when they file taxes in 2022.”

Would mean we all get to claim the $7500 for cars bought this year. Would miss out on any made in America cars and battery incentives though, which I’m completely ok with. So, now where is my VIN??
AFAIK, and the standard I am not an accountant disclaimer applies here - as I understand it the $7500 credit for 2021 purchases (basically the same one that exists today, just with the 200k car cap removed) is that it is a non-refundable credit. So that means if your tax liability for the year was less than $7500 - which might be if you are hit with the alternative minimum tax stick, you're taking a ton of credits already etc - you don't get to take full advantage, you'd only be able to whittle away at your remaining tax liability. If your tax liability was 0, you get nothing. The 2022 version, if passed, will make a rebate that doesn't depend on your tax liability.

Last edited:

“This cap is eliminated retroactively for vehicles sold after May 24, 2021 (Chairman's Mark, p. 30). This means that any cars sold by GM and Tesla after May 24, 2021 will be eligible for up to a $7,500 tax credit. In sum: the 200,000 cap removal would be retroactive and applied to Tesla cars bought after May 24, 2021. A $7,500 tax credit would apply to 2021 taxes that are filed in 2022, so buyers would receive the credit when they file taxes in 2022.”

Would mean we all get to claim the $7500 for cars bought this year. Would miss out on any made in America cars and battery incentives though, which I’m completely ok with. So, now where is my VIN??

This is outdated and not reflected in the current House bill: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th...117th Congress (2021,): Build Back Better Act

It's for cars purchased from January 1, 2022 onwards.

If you click on the text tab and ctrl-F "36C" (the new code section to reflect the EV tax credit), you'll see at the end it states:

``Sec. 36C. New qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicles.''.
(e) Effective Dates.--
(1) The amendments made by subsections (a), (c), and (d) of
this section shall apply to vehicles acquired after December
31, 2021.

This is outdated and not reflected in the current House bill: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/5376#:~:text=H.R.5376 - 117th Congress (2021,): Build Back Better Act

If you click on the text tab and ctrl-F "36C" (the new code section to reflect the EV tax credit), you'll see at the end it states:
it's anyone's guess what the final bill will look like, when the effective date will be (whether backdated or not), what chance it even has of passing etc.

If i'm not mistaken there is an income cap on this correct?

Brooklyn location. You?
At the moment its set to Meatpacking but I might potentially move it to White Plains or Mt. Kisco for ease of access. Tentatively though, vin should be <10 days out so I'll probably stick with what I have- according to Tesla, which to me means there might be a chance it'll arrive in 2021. I wanted to order the Performance but needed the 7 seats and didn't want to deal with performance summer tires, in my experience a car with Pirellis is a much more significant maintenance cost than one might assume. Then again, if I ordered a Performance, I might've already had it a month now....

Reactions: CharlesCastle
This is outdated and not reflected in the current House bill: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/5376#:~:text=H.R.5376 - 117th Congress (2021,): Build Back Better Act

Maybe so. Not sure who Volt Equity is, but the article I linked claims to be updated as of 10/1. In there it lists the two bills under consideration and says one has the retroactive clause and the other is unspecified, for removing the 200,000 cap on the current $7500 credit. But as others point out it’s a total crap shoot which one, if either will ever see the light of day. Time will tell.

Reactions: PatrickTM
Having had my X for 2+ years, I still love driving it whenever possible. It's like nothing I'd ever driven before.

I'll hit the "go" pedal from a red light to zoom away leaving the guy behind me in the dust, only to naturally miss the next light so the guy pulls back up behind me, probably thinking I'm some lunatic... But I don't care! It's that awesome!

If we run out of milk, I'm halfway to the store before the container is in the recycle bin. Dropping my kids off to soccer practice? Sure, I'll pick up some of their teammates too! Does the dog need a walk? I'll drive down the street holding his leash out the door. (ok I made that one up but you get my point)

And the best part? The cars keep getting better! When I took delivery, there was no sentry mode, no dash cam, no theater apps. All that stuff gets added on the fly. I think my 0-60 time even went from 2.7 to 2.6 because of a firmware update. It constantly becomes a "new" car with successive updates.

I can't speak specifically to the MY, but from what I'm told by neighbors who have them, it's the same feeling that I have. Everyone here who is a first time Tesla owner is going to be amazed once you get it.
halfway to the store.... 🤣

I did pull a you today at one of the lights. I hit the accelerator as soon as it turned green and saw little specks in the rearview mirror 😁 and was hoping I don't run into a red light, ran into traffic instead lol.

For those who are wondering about the replacement for my faulty delivery on Monday. Someone cancelled and I have a new car. Pickup tomorrow. Vin 285XXX.
Awesome! Their loss is your VIN.

Seems like rejected deliveries really do get hooked up with another VIN ASAP. Hopefully delivery appointment v2 goes more smoothly for you.