Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going with the 14-50 also. $40 for adapter from Tesla or $500 for a Tesla charger. 14-50 is a nobrainer. Charges at 38 amps so takes a little longer, but will still do a full charge overnight
A gen 2 mobile connector charges at 32 amps vs 48 for the Tesla wall connector. That's 30 miles of added range per hour vs 44 miles for a Model Y LR, fifty percent faster. The op on this topic was already going to spend $330 on the item they linked to for 40 amps. I assumed there priority was faster charging since they weren't going to use the gen 2 mobile connector that comes with the car.

If you plan to charge other makes, this of course is not the way to go.

Last edited:
A gen 2 mobile connector charges at 32 amps vs 48 for the Tesla wall connector. That's 30 miles of added range per hour vs 44 miles for a Model Y LR, fifty percent faster. The op on this topic was already going to spend $330 on the item they linked to for 40 amps. I assumed there priority was faster charging since they weren't going to use the gen 2 mobile connector that comes with the car.

If you plan to charge other makes, this of course is not the way to go.
Actually, the Tesla WC also works great for charging other makes! Just need a J1772 adapter.

I have only understood paying for a Tesla Wall Charger if you have more than one Tesla, otherwise the difference is ~6-7 miles per hour.

I know the 14-50 with the mobile connector might be the financially prudent way to go, BUT I honestly just want that beautiful Tesla wall charger mounted and proudly displayed under my carport roof where the MY will park. It will be convenient, it will charge faster in case I need it, and its just going to look good!

I am going with the 14-50 also. $40 for adapter from Tesla or $500 for a Tesla charger. 14-50 is a nobrainer. Charges at 38 amps so takes a little longer, but will still do a full charge overnight
If I was planning on adding my charger inside the garage I would have gone with the 14-50. I put mine outside so I went with the Tesla. I can add a 2nd Tesla Charger outside conntected to the same breaker and the wall charger is supposeto be able to auto share the load betweeen the two wall units without needing other breaker. Besides that its looks pretty good outside... That face is all glass

Attachments

• Tesla wall charger .jpg
    Tesla wall charger .jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 66
Cold where I live in winter. My EV’s will live inside whilst charging. I have a while to decide which way to go. Right now, still thinking the 14-50. Probably times 2 if we can. Gotta see if we get permission for the service coming into our house too, with all my other plans for solar and electrifying everything, including heating, etc.

I asked the only live human I have spoken to and he said he'd try to add it. Emailed a follow up and never heard back.

Thanks. I'll set myself a reminder to ask. The issue I foresee is when they say "no and we can't add it after the fact" because how on earth do I prove that I did, in fact, use my own referral code nearly 2 years ago when the order was initiated.
In my case because the SA was busy they handed over their laptop to me as I was trying to add my wife to the registration and the software was giving trouble to the SA so he said have at it. In the process I got to “explore” the application that the SAs use. So I’m sure if you ask the SA to look it up they should be able to tell. Adding it retroactively, if not already in the system can be a pain because software updates may have disabled it for the end users.

If I was planning on adding my charger inside the garage I would have gone with the 14-50. I put mine outside so I went with the Tesla. I can add a 2nd Tesla Charger outside conntected to the same breaker and the wall charger is supposeto be able to auto share the load betweeen the two wall units without needing other breaker. Besides that its looks pretty good outside... That face is all glass
Each charger would be on its own breaker. It would connect via Wi-Fi to manage power draw, so it does not exceed a specified network maximum amperage limit and overload your power panel.

Each charger would be on its own breaker. It would connect via Wi-Fi to manage power draw, so it does not exceed a specified network maximum amperage limit and overload your power panel.

You can have up to 4 on a single panel, but you still need 4 breakers. And unless your house has a beefy 250+amp 240v panel you won't ever draw the max on all 4.

• Informative
Reactions: MMurrayGA
Actually, the Tesla WC also works great for charging other makes! Just need a J1772 adapter.
Does Tesla sell the adapter, or is it third party?

Since I can't edit my earlier post, I'll make a correction here.

That's 30 miles of added range per hour vs 44 miles for a Model 3 LR. I said Model Y earlier. The mph at both amperages are a little lower for the Y, but it's still 1.5 time faster with the wall connector.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatrickTM
Well y'all, good things come to those who wait (through EDD madness, through endless refreshes, etc). As of 7:01 PM last night, we are officially Tesla owners! Given our luck, I just KNEW either our trade in (the Audi) was going to blow up, get totaled, or a meteor was going to hit the Tesla store at some point on our two hour drive to the SC. All told, we were at Tesla for about an hour and a half, most of that was processing the trade in, and our SA helping us get the car set up. We had a pretty late appointment (6 PM) and were the only customers in the store.

While I'm on a stream of consciousness, I had plans of checking each and every thing with my mental checklist, but TRUST ME you won't remember a single thing when you first see your car 😅 I gave it a reasonable inspection, and found two issues, both of which can be fixed by mobile service: The passenger window makes a loud pop when it rolls down, and the rear hatch was badly misaligned (one side was flush with the bumper, the other was about half an inch proud of the bumper). Nothing major enough to spoil the sheer joy of pulling away in your very own Tesla.

Also FWIW, I had plans of manually entering my bank account info, but opted to use Plaid since it was getting late, I didn't want to cause any delays, and I was just ready to get behind the wheel. As of this morning, it hasn't come out of my account yet.

Keep the faith, your time will come!

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG