Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Owners: If you had to buy again would you still get a Model S over a 3? Why? Confused buyer!

If you had to buy again would you still get a Model S over a 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a day 1 Model 3 reservation holder that has been wondering whether to get a new S or continue to wait for the 3. I love the design of the S, extra acceleration and extra storage space is nice. However it seems the 3 has a faster touchscreen computer, longer range for me as I would get a LR 3 vs 75 or 75D S. Interior improvements like side pockets, lighted vanity mirrors, coat hangers, adjustable seatbelts are perks for the 3 but not quite a deal breaker for me. I would either be getting a 75/75D with EAP+color+vegan seats and have some inventory options which seem to be discounted a couple $ thousand and around $74-80k. If I got the 3 it would be with LR+PUP+EAP+color+wheels for a total of $56.5K. I am in no rush to get a car now as I have a extra i3 at home and I drive a 435i myself, but would consider getting the S this year to get the $7500 bonus tax incentive if it is indeed axed for sure. Financially can afford both, but put $80k as my max as I feel its foolish to spend more this early in my career (dual physician home) when I can invest elsewhere and am purchasing a home soon and planning for a family.

So my question to owners is would you still get an S over a 3 knowing the specs and seeing some early reviews? What would lead you to pick the S over the 3 again? Posted in the S forum because the 3 forums seem a bit too skewed and biased and wanted to get answers from owners. Thanks in advance!

I have a 75D and also a day 1 reservation for an 3. The 3 is great value for money and sporty - I think it will handle better and be more fun to drive than the S for sure. But usually I want luxury - meaning a smooth ride over rough pavement. I think the S with air suspension will carry the day vs the 3 with either air or coils - simply due to its longer wheelbase and greater mass. So to me it's really about priorities. Sportier handling vs smoother ride.

I voted Yes. Reasons:
  1. Larger size
  2. Quicker (I'm addicted to the quickness)
  3. Uniqueness. If Tesla is successful, the Model 3 will be like the iPhone (everyone has one).
My wife, on the other hand, would pick the M3 without hesitation due to its smaller size (her preference) and lesser purchase price. The M3 would have all of the features she loves related to an EV, but in a BMW3 size package.

Also:
it seems the 3 has a faster touchscreen computer
I don't understand why people focus on this. I think the MS touchscreen is fast enough. It is certainly a BILLION times faster than any similar system in any other brand car on the road that I've experienced. Seems to be an irrelevant point to me, but then again I also don't understand people who obsess over 4k TV's.

longer range for me as I would get a LR 3 vs 75 or 75D S
Oh, yeah, I agree that you should heavily weight range in your purchase decision. I go on a decent number of road trips and would not like less than my 90D for range.

am purchasing a home soon
Getting a mortgage these days is a painful process. You may want to wait to purchase any vehicle until after you close on your home mortgage.

I would definitely buy my S again. Haven't regretted it for a moment.
My only regret is not getting a few more options (that are now standard of course). I passed on auto-lift gate and really wish I had it!

If you're in no rush, wait for the 3. You'll probably get it in 3-5 months and it would take 2 months to get an S anyways by the time they build it and you'd likely miss out on the 2017 tax incentive regardless. The only reason to get an S would be if you can find a good inventory unit that you could get earlier and make sure to get it for the 2017 tax benefits (in the case the tax bill removes the rebates).

I bought a new S in May. Would have waited for a Model 3, as I prefer smaller and nimbler (the S feels really big to me), except:

1) I could have the "S" NOW, and either model is fun; the sooner the better. No idea when I could actually get my hands on a 3.

2) Still not sure I'm sold on the single screen of the Model 3.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Once the Model 3 AWD version with max range shows up and all the kinks are ironed out, ASSUMING the S hasn't been refreshed from the ground up by then. Yes I would get the 3.

But that is the highest of unlikely possibilities. By the time the 3 becomes readily available and is "ironed out", there WILL be a full on S refresh.

• Disagree
Reactions: No ICE
it seems the 3 has a faster touchscreen computer, longer range for me as I would get a LR 3 vs 75 or 75D S. Interior improvements like side pockets, lighted vanity mirrors, coat hangers, adjustable seatbelts are perks for the 3 but not quite a deal breaker for me.
Thing is, you could see a refresh of the S in the next year or so that would roll in a lot of the niceties/improvements of the 3. Including use of the new 2170 cells.

On the other side of the ledger, it may already be too late to get a custom order S delivered before end of year (no matter what the Tesla page says – ppl who've ordered recently say their order date is bouncing around a lot)... and the current GOP tax bill seeks to end the Federal EV tax credit by end of year.

May not shake out that way, but, food for thought.

Also the S is one of the best looking vehicle designs of all time. The 3 is not bad but it is not going to be a design classic - Tesla did what it had to do to maximize room and functionality in a smaller package. I think Tesla made the right call but it just isn't as good looking as the S. In addition the very first 3 design was the best - then Tesla bowed to public pressure (read - the aesthetically untutored masses) and softened some lines - making the 3 a less coherent design in final form than the one they originally unveiled.

No, as good as the Model S is, it's too big of a car to be lugging around for day to day commute.. Beats the purpose of minimizing our Carbon footprint, in that sense, i'd get model 3, smaller, lighter, more nimble car (less wasted energy).. heck, i'd rather take public transport if they can improve that significantly here in bay area..

Easy yes for me.
Like the 2 screen setup over 1.
Better 0-60 time (I like to move)
Larger size more comfortable bigger trunk etc.
Unlimited Super Charger use
By the time I added the options to the M3 I wanted price was close especially with the tax credit going away.

I actually converted my M3 reservation into money towards my model S. Really enjoying this car. The Model 3 is going to be great as well though. My advice is it comes down to your budget and what you are looking for. One thing I will say is once you drive one of these you aren't going to want to get back in a ICE car.

Reactions: FutureShock
I would definitely buy my S again. Haven't regretted it for a moment.
My only regret is not getting a few more options (that are now standard of course). I passed on auto-lift gate and really wish I had it!

If you're in no rush, wait for the 3. You'll probably get it in 3-5 months and it would take 2 months to get an S anyways by the time they build it and you'd likely miss out on the 2017 tax incentive regardless. The only reason to get an S would be if you can find a good inventory unit that you could get earlier and make sure to get it for the 2017 tax benefits (in the case the tax bill removes the rebates).

Thanks for all the responses. Car will be for my wife and we both will be using it for weekends trips. She's used to a Prius and currently an i3, so either will be a huge upgrade. She likes the S design way more but we have yet to see a 3 in person so will reserve judgement on that. If I get a S it will be from inventory as more cars have randomly showing up on ev-cpo, found 1 that has a $4k discount in a build we would have made and comes with PUP and will guarantee getting the tax incentive. Will pull trigger on the S at end of quarter as it's when they discount showroom cars heavily, I hesitated on 90D in August that was $21k off sticker and kicking self for that now. I think if tax incentive stays I'll just stick with plan to get the loaded 3 (est Dec-Feb) and if it goes away I'll get an inventory S in December. Being in socal that 310+ mile range in the 3 will let me skip superchargers when going on trips to San Diego and stuff.

If my P85DL got stolen today, I'd probably buy a used S90 or something like that. I love the P85D but wouldn't mind a less expensive car. Once the Model 3 is readily available if the same thing happened I'd definitely check it out and I'd consider a high-end one instead of a MS. Right now I really enjoy the third-row seats, but as my kids get older that won't be as valuable.

Hopefully I'm keeping my P85D for a long time though. There are two events that would make me want to buy a new car though. One would be once full automated driving works and is legal to the point where you can just sleep and let the car do the work while driving across country. I'd still probably try to get my wife into a Tesla with that feature and keep my P85D though.

The other will be the Roadster 2.0, which will be very tempting. I'd need to see the cost and specs and especially the handling. The one thing I miss with my P85D is the handling from my 911 Turbo (obviously). If the Roadster 2.0 had really good handling and even better acceleration then I'd be interested. I'd also consider an all-electric Porsche, if they actually have one by then.

I was also a day 1 M3 reservation holder, ended up purchasing a MS 60 in December 2016.

I don't regret that decision at all, love the car, and have thoroughly enjoyed putting 30,000 miles on it in the last year. That said, if I was in your shoes making the decision today, I would probably wait for the 3.

The S is an amazing car, but it's way more money than I've ever spent on a vehicle and probably way more than I'll ever spend again. However, it was the only game in town a year ago. The 3 would probably be a better suited commuter for me all other things being equal.

Love the S and would do it again. I reserved on 4/2/16 and fully intended on waiting for the 3. After expensive repairs to my Yukon, again, I decided on the S. I have it over a year now and still have not figured out where to put things. No door pockets has really put a crimp in my storage issues. The 3 has a large center console, door pockets and hangars. Whoda thunk these things were so important

Reactions: Langhorne
I would get the S again. No questions.
For all the same reasons as THXULTRA states above.

Also, the 3's rear windows don't roll down very far and the issues around if the electronic door openers fail, the rear seat people are kind of stuck... I have kids.

The S and 3 are different cars for different folks- get what fits best for your needs.

Reactions: THXULTRA
Thanks for all the responses. Car will be for my wife and we both will be using it for weekends trips. She's used to a Prius and currently an i3, so either will be a huge upgrade. She likes the S design way more but we have yet to see a 3 in person so will reserve judgement on that. If I get a S it will be from inventory as more cars have randomly showing up on ev-cpo, found 1 that has a $4k discount in a build we would have made and comes with PUP and will guarantee getting the tax incentive. Will pull trigger on the S at end of quarter as it's when they discount showroom cars heavily, I hesitated on 90D in August that was $21k off sticker and kicking self for that now. I think if tax incentive stays I'll just stick with plan to get the loaded 3 (est Dec-Feb) and if it goes away I'll get an inventory S in December. Being in socal that 310+ mile range in the 3 will let me skip superchargers when going on trips to San Diego and stuff.

So my first Model S was totaled a couple of weeks ago ;-(, it was a December 2016 MS75. I am a day one reservation holder (as well as owner) so my estimate for a Model 3 was actually November - Jan... even so I was leaning toward just getting another MS - because I really loved that car. Went to the Tesla store (Costa Mesa) and was talking with a OA about it. Turns out they actually had a M3 in the back delivery area and I asked to look at it (was an employee car). Walked over, looked at it, walked around.... and then went inside and ordered another MS - estimated delivery was end of December - Jan. My OA did a great job and actually found me a new inventory car that was exactly the same configuration which I should be picking up next week.. so I lock in the rebate and don't have to drive this rental anymore....

Feel free to PM me if you want more detail on the M3, the OA, or specific reasons why I chose the MS.

Reactions: Chopr147
I voted no, but it kind of depends on what exactly you are asking here.

The 3 looks like a solid car, and cheaper too, looks just as good as the S in my opinion, and is more efficient while still having decent power and very good range. If I were buying today, I would buy an S. Wait, what? Yes, an S, but only because of the time to delivery -- still a huge queue for 3 and production not ramped up yet. But, if wait times were the same, I would go with the 3. That said, I'm still happy I bought an S in the past because I wanted to support Tesla, and the S program helped fund the 3 program. But my next car will probably be a 3.