Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current S & X OWNERS: What is your favorite currently available exterior color and WHY?

What is your favorite currently available exterior color? (OWNERS ONLY)

• Solid Black

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Red Multi-Coat

Votes: 38 23.8%
  • Midnight Silver Metallic

Votes: 30 18.8%
  • Deep Blue Metallic

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • Pearl White Multi-Coat

Votes: 27 16.9%
  • Silver Metallic

Votes: 10 6.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cdub

OG 2011 Leaf / 2023 Model Y LR
Oct 7, 2014
Glendale, CA
I'm agonizing over what color to get for my Model 3 so I want to get current owners experiences LIVING with their colors over the years.

I do not want votes from NON-OWNERS based on "Man that car looks sick!"... I want votes from OWNERS based on "I have owned this car with this color for # amount of years and I like it because X" or "I have owned this color but wish I got this other color because of X"

So... without further ado (and I'm only including currently available model 3 colors)...

Please include why in the responses! Thanks in advance all!

Reactions: FutureShock
I agonized over this as well. While I haven't lived with the choice for years yet, I feel your pain. I kept bouncing back and forth between the Obsidian Black Metallic, Deep Blue Metallic, and Midnight Silver Metallic for my 75D. In the end, I went with the Midnight Silver for a few reasons. First, my wife didn't want me to get the white interior, which I would have required for the Deep Blue as a personal preference. Second, my last two cars have been black, and I wanted to do something a little different that wouldn't need to be kept immaculate like black. Third, I had been looking at what people had be adding aftermarket to their exteriors, and the Metallic Silver always looked fantastic with window and taillight tint and chrome delete. And finally, I love the look of the Midnight Silver with the gray wheels. Granted these are all pretty personal reasons, but honestly, exterior color choice is totally an emotional decision.

I didn't really follow your rules to the letter, so disregard my limited opinion if you must.

Reactions: cdub
Second, my last two cars have been black, and I wanted to do something a little different that wouldn't need to be kept immaculate like black.
I actually really like the basic black and aero wheels combination... plus it's also the cheapest.* However... the car getting really hot concerns me. How much battery drain would there be with the car trying to cool the cabin and battery while parked?

The white intrigues me however. If I go with red or blue I think I'll need to go the full Franz and get the sport wheels.

I've always been partial to white. Easy to clean, looks sharp even with a light coat of dirt.

X Roadster 2.jpg

Red all the way for me. It's a easier to maintain color (doesn't show dirt like black), but flashier than silver or white. Plus I get a ton of compliments on it when out and about. That might be a downside for some.

Hubby has MSM, which is also very nice. He does occasionally express jealousy about my red color, but he has a P85D, so I don't feel sorry for him. ;)

Silver Metallic S85D, had it for two years. Not the most popular color (at least in the SF Bay Area), but it looks good IMHO and it's fairly low-maintenance (== hides the dust well).

IMHO it basically comes down your personal preference. Once you decide you like a color you can find all sorts of ways to rationalize that choice. :)

Bruce.

Reactions: David29 and cdub
I'm agonizing over what color to get for my Model 3 so I want to get current owners experiences LIVING with their colors over the years.

I do not want votes from NON-OWNERS based on "Man that car looks sick!"... I want votes from OWNERS based on "I have owned this car with this color for # amount of years and I like it because X" or "I have owned this color but wish I got this other color because of X"

So... without further ado (and I'm only including currently available model 3 colors)...

Please include why in the responses! Thanks in advance all!
I have a 2016 70d in RED Only color i would ever consider. My son has a Black Mercedes 550.
Cant figure out why anyone likes black especially in Fla, Everybody does double takes.

Deep blue. Classy, elegant, stands out and after 17 months still get people turning heads, taking pics and wow'd by it. I think I'm also still nuts abt it :)

We were 50/50 red or blue but red screams 'police ticket' and Ferrari, which I suppose if we had a p100D would have gone red!

Attachments

• IMG_0356.PNG
    IMG_0356.PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 256
  • IMG_1416.JPG
    IMG_1416.JPG
    361.3 KB · Views: 234
  • Funny
Reactions: JPUConn and cdub
My preference is for the red, although blue is also a great choice. Everything else is really more a shade than a color. I see far too many black, grey, silver or white cars around.

That said, if you're on the fence you might look for a neutral color if you're looking at resale. You can always wrap or plasti-dip your car to make it unique. Personally, I saw a yellow Model S that really looked good (wrapped I believe). White and black are off my list simply because they are the hardest to keep clean. I had a white car years ago and I would always miss some area when I hand washed it but could only see it when I put on polarized sunglasses - drove me nuts!

Reactions: boaterva
I don't really like any of their colors. I ended up with white since it was free. I don't like black. I normally like blue, but their version is very close to black, in low light it looks like black. I choose red in the poll. I just didn't like the red enough to pay the extra. I like this blue. It is called Sapphire blue by Porsche.

Attachments

• IMG_2186.jpg
    IMG_2186.jpg
    676.5 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Deep blue. Classy, elegant, stands out and after 17 months still get people turning heads, taking pics and wow'd by it. I think I'm also still nuts abt it :)
Agree! A really beautiful colour especially in person.

there are lots of Teslas on the road around here - when I got my MS, there were very few deep blue metallic ones here, though now it's a bit more common. Meanwhile way too many black, silver and especially white cars of all brands on the roads here. (The MS does look great in Pearl White but I swear more than half the cars on the roads here are white)

Agree! A really beautiful colour especially in person.

there are lots of Teslas on the road around here - when I got my MS, there were very few deep blue metallic ones here, though now it's a bit more common. Meanwhile way too many black, silver and especially white cars of all brands on the roads here. (The MS does look great in Pearl White but I swear more than half the cars on the roads here are white)

Not a Tesla owner yet, I mean the car is still in Chicago and that was 2 weeks ago. I could have biked there and drove back! Come to think of it, that would be a fun challenge and great reward. Anyway, I am driving a Lexus SUV in metallic pearl white. I parked right next to a white model X. Honestly, the Lexus pearl white has more depth. The Model X's white was more like an Apple white. I couldn't tell if it was a white or a pearl white.

Red is colorful. Handles dirt nicely. It stands out compared with white, black or silver. Blue is a runner up for me, choose your favorite.

If I had to choose between white, black or silver, I'd pick silver. Never cared much for the white cars. Gold was great in the past, too bad it's not available. Never owned black, except the Segway!

Last edited:
Midnight Silver Metallic.

Love it because it handles dirt well the awesome metallic flakes which give it a wide range of looks depending on the lighting. Ranges from blue metallic in sunlight to dark gray in shadow.

Had the Dolphin Gray before and liked it, but MSM looks much better.

Red. Owned it for 3 years. Would probably buy a red Model 3 but dont really want 2 Teslas of the same color.

Something I've noticed, some colors look better than others when viewed from the same angles. Silver for instance looks kinda blah from behind but sharp from the side or side-front. White looks good to great from most angles, same with black. Red is awesome from behind, okay from the front and so-so from the side.

Obviously this is just an opinion and my own taste, but perhaps worth considering.

That white w/aero wheels looks great on the Model 3. Most likely the combination I'll be getting.

• Love
Reactions: Quick2Judge