Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current supercharger rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Supercharged my car 5 times since I bought it. The rate had been consistent, at $0.24/kwh. Today I was in for a big surprise, at the same location it turned out to be $0.48/kwh. That's double!! Is there a time of day element to the rates? I don't remember if I have charged after 9 PM all these days. Today I started charging at 8:30 PM. Any one willing to share experiences?

I have Supercharged my car 5 times since I bought it. The rate had been consistent, at $0.24/kwh. Today I was in for a big surprise, at the same location it turned out to be $0.48/kwh. That's double!! Is there a time of day element to the rates? I don't remember if I have charged after 9 PM all these days. Today I started charging at 8:30 PM. Any one willing to share experiences?
There are a lot of different time of rate charges. And it is as you saw the high rate is double. I usually use SuperChargers early in the morning (6 AM or so) and the rate is almost always low, and I am the only one there.

Makes sense, since that's when PG&E charges the highest rates. But they should have lower rates until around 4pm in that case too, unless capacity of the site (number of stalls) is an issue.
The rate schedules are not the same for residential and commercial operations like a Supercharger. Commercial rates have three components that determine the rate; amount used, how fast power is used, and the time of day used. Peaks in commercial are often mid-morning to late evening when a lot of commercial operations are open and using power.