Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom 3rd brake light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I wanted to share my custom 3rd brake light that I modded. I designed a new pcb with 36 individually addressable RGBW LEDs (I only use red, though), that you can now select different patterns to be shown when the brakes are applied. After 6 seconds, they go solid so they attract attention, but not too much :)

There is a wifi chip that you can connect to and it hosts a webpage with the pattern/speed selection.

I have one of my prototypes for sale on eBay; not sure who might be interested in having one; so far I'm the only one lol

Anyway, I appreciate any feedback.

IMG_0969.jpeg
IMG_0968.jpeg
IMG_0983.gif

IMG_0982.gif

IMG_0980.gif

IMG_0981.gif

Hi everyone, I wanted to share my custom 3rd brake light that I modded. I designed a new pcb with 36 individually addressable RGBW LEDs (I only use red, though), that you can now select different patterns to be shown when the brakes are applied...
Very nice! I like the flashing much like the F1 cars use.

Is it also applicable to the Model Y? You state 13V operation but I assume newer 16V batteries are fine as well. For clarification, does one disassemble the existing third light and substitute in your PCB for an existing Tesla part?

Reactions: zoomer0056

Is it also applicable to the Model Y? You state 13V operation but I assume newer 16V batteries are fine as well. For clarification, does one disassemble the existing third light and substitute in your PCB for an existing Tesla part?
So I say 13v because the light itself says it uses 13.5v @ 4.8W.
My 2023 has the 16v battery and it’s been working great for a few months now. My design take up to 20v in and drops it down to 5v for the new circuitry.
I designed the new PCB to be a drop in replacement if you want to take your light housing apart; you only need a T10 bit and a dremel tool to grid down some small plastic bits.
I haven’t done a MY yet only because I haven’t tried but I will look into it, it seems to be interest there :)

I just looked up the service manual instructions for removing/replacing the rear center high mount stop light in the Model Y; it requires removing the rear glass window 😮 (same as Model S)...so I don't know how many people would be willing to do that just for this mod...so I may not pursue that...

Per the manual, you need to remove the rear glass to replace the LED. OP is destroying that connection to get it off. How are you replacing that?
The rear glass needs removed for the Model S & Model Y. The Model X needs rear body panel trim removed and lot of other not-fun stuff.
But last I checked, this post was in the Model 3 sub-forum, which is the only mod I'm referring to, which again, does NOT require the glass to be removed to get to. RTFM.

The rear glass needs removed for the Model S & Model Y. The Model X needs rear body panel trim removed and lot of other not-fun stuff.
But last I checked, this post was in the Model 3 sub-forum, which is the only mod I'm referring to, which again, does NOT require the glass to be removed to get to. RTFM.
According to Tesla, the model 3 rear window DOES need to be removed. Your method GRINDS the unit off. That isn't OEM. Just be clear about it. Otherwise, its neat; but you're trying to sell it. So again, just be transparent.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I haven’t done a MY yet only because I haven’t tried but I will look into it, it seems to be interest there :)
I have a Model Y but my potential application is to build this into the back of my aftermarket wing.

Sadly, I have soooo many projects that realistically that would be pretty far down the queue.

Very neat idea, though! Kudos for the concept, effort, and execution!

According to Tesla, the model 3 rear window DOES need to be removed. Your method GRINDS the unit off. That isn't OEM. Just be clear about it. Otherwise, its neat; but you're trying to sell it. So again, just be transparent.
Did you read the official Tesla instructions they linked to: Model 3 Service Manual | Tesla

I don't see anything in there about removing the rear window...