Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom Enhanced Diffuser (+Downforce?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While waiting for my Unplugged Performance Front Lip & High Downforce Trunk Spoiler to arrive, I wanted to address the final component in the aerodynamics of the Model 3, which to me seemed to be the diffuser.

Now, as we know, Tesla has done a very good job with the stock underbody. It is effectively flat, and the rear diffuser already has a decent angle/expansion chamber towards the trailing end to convert low pressure into high pressure and create downforce. The one area that seemed to be lacking was vertical fins to reduce turbulent air.

Therefore, I set out to add vertical fins to the rear diffuser, in theory reducing the turbulent air and enhancing the positive affects of the diffuser. In the end, I think it looks well and should achieve the goal. When combined with the other aerodynamic bits, the affects should be compounded. The advantage to a diffuser as opposed to something like canards is it generally increases downforce without creating lots of drag (basically a solid downforce-drag ratio). Let me know what you think, photos attached!

Attachments

• IMG_20190428_095446.jpg
    IMG_20190428_095446.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 1,231
  • IMG_20190428_103727.jpg
    IMG_20190428_103727.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 2,048
  • IMG_20190428_103744.jpg
    IMG_20190428_103744.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 1,083
  • IMG_20190428_073817.jpg
    IMG_20190428_073817.jpg
    670.4 KB · Views: 1,086
  • IMG_20190428_103735.jpg
    IMG_20190428_103735.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 1,107
That actually looks really good imo.. Great job. How did you do it? I would buy a CF version of that in a heart beat..

Only thing I would definitely change if it were me would to leave the center fin out (make it two and move them to port and starboard?) in case I ever wanted to put a Stealth hitch on the car. Otherwise, it does help make the car look a bit more aggressive! I like it!

While waiting for my Unplugged Performance Front Lip & High Downforce Trunk Spoiler to arrive, I wanted to address the final component in the aerodynamics of the Model 3, which to me seemed to be the diffuser.

Now, as we know, Tesla has done a very good job with the stock underbody. It is effectively flat, and the rear diffuser already has a decent angle/expansion chamber towards the trailing end to convert low pressure into high pressure and create downforce. The one area that seemed to be lacking was vertical fins to reduce turbulent air.

Therefore, I set out to add vertical fins to the rear diffuser, in theory reducing the turbulent air and enhancing the positive affects of the diffuser. In the end, I think it looks well and should achieve the goal. When combined with the other aerodynamic bits, the affects should be compounded. The advantage to a diffuser as opposed to something like canards is it generally increases downforce without creating lots of drag (basically a solid downforce-drag ratio). Let me know what you think, photos attached!
Looks great. Any pics of how you made them? Might do this my self.

Looks sweet.

Does anybody know if the Model 3 has some amount of downforce? Most street cars have high speed lift especially on the front end. Since they're optimized for Cd, I'd imagine the total amount of lift as stock is near 0?

Would agree with that statement. I have to say car stays very neutral at all speed, at least in my experience.

The fastest I have had mine is just about 140mph, and I crest the hill on the back straight at VIR around 120mph. It felt stable before the aero mods, and now maybe a little more planted after the aero mods. I would agree, the car seems pretty neutral stock.