Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cut throat safety belt

Can you adjust your Tesla Model-3 seat belt to comfortably fit you, or is it cutting your neck

• I can adjust the belt to fit- no problem

Votes: 104 63.8%
  • Cannot adjust/lower the belt enough and it touches the side of my throat

Votes: 59 36.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving a Model-3, have you had an uncomfortable feeling that your throat is being cut?

We have two drivers, both are of average height, weight and neck size, and yet we cannot adjust the upper anchor of either front seat belts, to NOT cut the side of our throat. We each have different seats position setups.

Yes, the Model-3 upper seat belt point is adjustable (by sliding it down) but not enough. In all (many) other cars we have driven the seatbelt can be adjusted to comfortably fit us, but not in our Tesla.

Any suggestion?

View attachment 405596

I put mine under my left arm. I'm long legged but short waisted so even though I'm 5'8" when I sit I'm real short. I've always had this problem with seat belts. But in the Tesla it seems to fit pretty well when under my arm and I think it is safe enough. I think it is better there than across my throat. Not really looking forward to having my head chopped off by the seat belt.

• Disagree
Reactions: Runnergirl
You can disagree with my suggestion all you want, but messing about with safety equipment means you're messing with your own personal safety.
I think it's worth raising the seat half an inch to accommodate that, its your choice not to.
My 5'0" wife has no issues with the seat belt.

Reactions: RobRain and CMoZ

It seems like if your neck is below the lowest setting of the seatbelt you might have trouble seeing out of the car. Why not just raise the seat?
I see out of the car just fine. In fact my head is maybe 3 inches from the roof, but this is still a problem for me. Maybe I have an oddly long neck, I don't know. But I do know that I haven't had this problem in any other car.

I was just complaining about this! I'm not a kid and not short. I'm 5'7.

I got the car in Nov..., so realized I've always had a coat or something on. But now, no coat or heavy layers, so I reallyyyyy notice it's on my neck! I can live with it I s'pose, just totally agree with OP that there's no way to adjust it lower. Maybe breast implants would help...you know... for my safety..

• Funny
Reactions: lolder and RayK
Why? The belt is supposed to go across your chest and mine does that very well. If it was across my throat it would decapitate me in the event of a wreck. I'd rather have my shoulder dislocated than my head chopped off.

I respectfully disagree again. I can see your point but it's not factual. (Google: "seatbelt under arm" or similar) To advise and even encourage this unsafe/unlawful practice is irresponsible and Im sure you don't mean to be.

We have NHSI and crash dummies, and NHSTA for a reason... the say NOOOOOO to this practice. You can also get a ticket. I for one would feel terrible for encouraging it in social forums and then to hear of a fatality from your advice. .. in ANY vehicle, not just a 3.

Reactions: jbadger and RobRain
For those of you having this problem, did any of the seat-belt-adapters (etc) solve the situation for you?

We were well on our way to ordering this weekend, until my wife's driving session. The belt cuts right across her neck. I spent an inordinate amount of time adjusting the seat up/down/back/forth along with the steering wheel and the belt loop mechanism on the B-pillar.

It's almost like the slide mechanism on the B-pillar needs the ability to go down 2-3 inches for some people.

We *really* liked the car. But this is a deal breaker for her, and I don't blame her, in an accident if the belt were like that it could snap the neck.

To note, I didn't have any such issues. The seat was just one for me, but I'm 5'10" and very wide.

I did google this - there are discussion of it on other forums, reddit, etc. And Telsa does not seem to be the only manufacturer w/ such complaints. The most popular solution seems to be clips or mechanisms like this https://www.amazon.com/Seat-Belt-Adjusting-Clip-4-Pack/dp/B007CN9IJW or https://www.amazon.com/Aukee-Seatbe.../B07K31BG4C/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8 which force the bottom of the shoulder strap to move over, which forces a change of the angle of the strap to the B-pillar. Assuming it works, and is safe, my wife is game for this.

Any help appreciated.

• Informative
Reactions: Spacep0d
OMG I hate the seats and seat belts on this car. I'm probably one of the biggest complainers about them. But, I have found some things that help make it more comfortable.

On me, the seat belt cuts across my right breast and then onto my collar bone and neck, in fact, if my neck and head weren't there, the seat belt would go right over that space! I do have the seat adjusted to highest position it will go and it was still on my neck. I think the thing we click it into is too far back and too deep into the seat. If it were more forward and up about 3-5 inches higher, then the belt would fall in the correct place.

Anyway, initially I got these metal seat belt locks to make it stay off my neck. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FNGZGTS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It worked, but became a pain every time my husband drove the car because he would take it off (because it shortened the belt to fit me and not him) and I had to get it back on when I drove. It's easy to do, just was a PITA so I never wanted to let him drive and he wants to drive it too.

So then I got a 7" flexible seat belt extender and it works great. Seat Belt Extender Pros™ - Shop Extenders by Car It moves the belt off my neck and it's super easy to put back into place after someone else drives my car. I can also use it sitting in the other front seat of the car if my husband is driving. I got some extenders for the back seat as well since the seat belt positioning is even worse back there. On that seat belt extender site, you have to pick extenders based on the location you are going to use them in the car. I have found that the ones I bought for the rear seats work in the front seats too; however, the one I bought for the front seat only works with the front seats and the belts in the rear won't click into them.

As others have mentioned, I would NOT follow that advice about tucking the belt under your arm. That is very unsafe! You might as well not wear it at all if you're going to do that. Think about it from a physics perspective. The seat belt works with the skeletal frame of your body to restrain you in an accident. The lap belt against your hips and the shoulder belt against your shoulder. There is nothing but soft tissue and ribs under your arm for it to press against and it's too low of a restraining point to prevent the forward motion of your upper body. Having the belt across your chest AND over your shoulder is what restrains you. I agree, it's not safe having it over your neck either, that's why I found a solution to get it off my neck. I hope others can too!

1-Pair-Safety-Car-Seat-Belt-Shoulder-Pad-Guard-Special-for-Tesla-Model-S-Model-X.jpg