Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cut throat safety belt

Can you adjust your Tesla Model-3 seat belt to comfortably fit you, or is it cutting your neck

• I can adjust the belt to fit- no problem

Votes: 104 63.8%
  • Cannot adjust/lower the belt enough and it touches the side of my throat

Votes: 59 36.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why? The belt is supposed to go across your chest and mine does that very well. If it was across my throat it would decapitate me in the event of a wreck. I'd rather have my shoulder dislocated than my head chopped off.

Because the forces of an accident will propel the belt down and you forward if it's under your arm. Watch some crash test dummy footage. The belt is designed and instructed to be worn 1 way for a reason.

I'd actually be interested to see pictures of what people are complaining about here. In an effort to try and understand I went out sat in the driver seat moved it all over the place slouched way down sat on some books could not get it to cut into my neck at all

Ok,I took my extender out and buckled up so you can see how awkward the seat belt is. It may not look like much to you all, but it is digging into my neck and if my neck and head weren't there the seat belt would take that spot as that seems to be where it wants to go. You can also see how the bottom part of the shoulder strap doesn't go across the center of my body and rather goes to the side and into my armpit almost. If I put the extender in, the shoulder belt is moved to the correct position.
IMG_2445.jpg

Ok,I took my extender out and buckled up so you can see how awkward the seat belt is. It may not look like much to you all, but it is digging into my neck and if my neck and head weren't there the seat belt would take that spot as that seems to be where it wants to go. You can also see how the bottom part of the shoulder strap doesn't go across the center of my body and rather goes to the side and into my armpit almost. If I put the extender in, the shoulder belt is moved to the correct position.
View attachment 471253

that’s about where it hits on me too. 5 foot 7.

Driving a Model-3, have you had an uncomfortable feeling that your throat is being cut?

We have two drivers, both are of average height, weight and neck size, and yet we cannot adjust the upper anchor of either front seat belts, to NOT cut the side of our throat. We each have different seats position setups.

Yes, the Model-3 upper seat belt point is adjustable (by sliding it down) but not enough. In all (many) other cars we have driven the seatbelt can be adjusted to comfortably fit us, but not in our Tesla.

Any suggestion?

View attachment 405596
Only this did help to me. Installed it 3" up from lock. [URL="https://www.ebay.com/i/392212046331?rt=nc&var=661147591240&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3De1892d7f1caf4b86bb82d7a6ac86f28d%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D8%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D333303645024%26itm%3D661147591240%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2386202"]Car Seat Belt Comfort Strap Adjuster Support Clip Improve Safety Aid | eBay [/URL]

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
View attachment 471253
Odd, that looks almost exactly the same as when I'm buckled up with the belt adjuster as high as possible but I wouldn't describe it as digging in or cutting in, Doesn't feel uncomfortable at all to me

Odd, that looks almost exactly the same as when I'm buckled up with the belt adjuster as high as possible but I wouldn't describe it as digging in or cutting in, Doesn't feel uncomfortable at all to me

LOL! Yeah, what's uncomfortable to some won't be to others. I tend to be pretty sensitive to things scratching me and poking at me. It actually move more across my neck while I'm driving and almost feels like it's choking me. If I hadn't found the extender, I probably would've returned the car. It was that uncomfortable. Glad I found a solution that works for me though cuz I love this car!

Tesla's3 Belt height adjuster is installed TOO high for short people. Elon designed it for himself. lol :)

So true! I'm 5'3". I have the adjuster at the lowest setting. Honestly that adjuster thing is a joke. My son is 5'9" and also is fine with it at the lowest setting. He feels no difference between the lowest and highest settings. I don't think it's enough of a difference to help out short people. But really I think it's the placement of the part you click into that is the problem because it is located so far back that's what makes this belt cut across the body so high. If it were placed a few inches forward of where it is now, the belt would cut across lower and it would be fine. Taller people could then raise the adjuster at the door frame to keep it from cutting across too low. But, yeah, it's made for taller people. And less sensitive people.

Interestingly, I had an S loaner for a couple days and found it was also a poor fit, but not as bad. I was much more comfortable in that car without modifications than I am in the 3. I kinda wanted to keep the S! But the 3 drives so much nicer!

Reactions: Spacep0d
LOL! Yeah, what's uncomfortable to some won't be to others. I tend to be pretty sensitive to things scratching me and poking at me. It actually move more across my neck while I'm driving and almost feels like it's choking me. If I hadn't found the extender, I probably would've returned the car. It was that uncomfortable. Glad I found a solution that works for me though cuz I love this car!

So true! I'm 5'3". I have the adjuster at the lowest setting. Honestly that adjuster thing is a joke. My son is 5'9" and also is fine with it at the lowest setting. He feels no difference between the lowest and highest settings. I don't think it's enough of a difference to help out short people. But really I think it's the placement of the part you click into that is the problem because it is located so far back that's what makes this belt cut across the body so high. If it were placed a few inches forward of where it is now, the belt would cut across lower and it would be fine. Taller people could then raise the adjuster at the door frame to keep it from cutting across too low. But, yeah, it's made for taller people. And less sensitive people.

Interestingly, I had an S loaner for a couple days and found it was also a poor fit, but not as bad. I was much more comfortable in that car without modifications than I am in the 3. I kinda wanted to keep the S! But the 3 drives so much nicer!
Same here and that is why I did purchase belt clips right away. It is OK with that adjustment now. Should be lower, I did not have this problem in many other cars I owned.

Five dollar, five minute fix. Buy these online (part number in picture) ,
move the adjuster all the way to the end and tuck that end between seat and seat back.
Install guide over the belt.
This will hold belt away from neck, yet allow it to slide and retract.

I have the same issue. 5'3", Italian extended left arm driving position. Seat reclined a bit but nothing extreme. Visibility is good and I can do headchecks without a problem.

Seatbelt always slices at my neck and I've already adjusted the pivot mechanism to be at the lowest setting. The issue is that the adjuster simply doesn't have enough range for shorter people who don't want to sit higher in the car. I'm going to see about raising the seat a bit and maybe getting one of those devices that lowers the attack angle of the belt a bit so it hits my clavicle and not my neck!

Last edited:
Driving a Model-3, have you had an uncomfortable feeling that your throat is being cut?

We have two drivers, both are of average height, weight and neck size, and yet we cannot adjust the upper anchor of either front seat belts, to NOT cut the side of our throat. We each have different seats position setups.

Yes, the Model-3 upper seat belt point is adjustable (by sliding it down) but not enough. In all (many) other cars we have driven the seatbelt can be adjusted to comfortably fit us, but not in our Tesla.

Any suggestion?

View attachment 405596
My wife 5’ has that same problem, maybe try to get one of those sheepskin belt covers...