Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cyber truck will be the best selling vehicle ever

Will the cybertruck be the last car you purchase?

• Yes, if it can last 1,000,000 miles

Votes: 55 50.5%
  • No, It has a face only a mother can love

Votes: 54 49.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still have my two reservations for the tri motor cyber truck but caved and put down a reservation for the ford f150 lightning. I am around the 150k reservation holder. the delay of the cybertruck and Ford receiving 12k in rebates have pushed me to order a 40k lightning pro edition and after rebates should be around 28k. I believe with the rebates and gasoline savings, I can drive the F150 for a year or two (before my cybertruck gets manufactured) and not lose a penny. The F150 weight should push it into the criteria as a business expense and should be 100% deductible in year 1.

A good truck for some but it shouldn't hold a candle to Tesla's tech.

I still have my two reservations for the tri motor cyber truck but caved and put down a reservation for the ford f150 lightning. I am around the 150k reservation holder. the delay of the cybertruck and Ford receiving 12k in rebates have pushed me to order a 40k lightning pro edition and after rebates should be around 28k. I believe with the rebates and gasoline savings, I can drive the F150 for a year or two (before my cybertruck gets manufactured) and not lose a penny. The F150 weight should push it into the criteria as a business expense and should be 100% deductible in year 1.

Ford is planning to produce 15k trucks in 2022 and 50k truck in 2023.

If you ordered the Cybertruck early, it's likely to ship first even with the 8-9 month gap in production start dates. Obviously if one or the other delays start of production more that may change.

If you ordered the Cybertruck early, it's likely to ship first even with the 8-9 month gap in production start dates. Obviously if one or the other delays start of production more that may change.
If thats the case I won't get the F150 until 2024 and the federal rebate will most likely expire

I’ll add this quote from Henry Ford to this frothy conversation. It appeared in an article Inc. entitled “ Why Tesla Copies This 1 Lesson From Ford’s 112-Year Old Playbook”.

“if people were asked what they wanted, people would have asked for faster horses.”

In other words, asking your audience what they want isn't necessarily the way to give them what they really want. The best businesses know that people don't always know what they want, because people--unlike businesses--don't necessarily know what's possible.
the Model T offered significant advantages over horses. Same as the iPhone over a blackberry.

what advantages does the yoke offer?

Reactions: TessP100D

The gap will be more like a year, but Tesla should be able to ramp production faster since this isn't their first rodeo. Though it isn't Ford's either when it comes to building the trucks themselves. But my guess is they are battery constrained and this is all they could secure from their suppliers.

I have a very early CT reservation and only made my F150 reservation a few weeks ago. How did you figure out your place in line with Ford?
Are you kidding me?

The amount of crap Apple got over the lack of physical buttons was insane.

Reminds me a lot of this exact discussion.
The question is not whether one can get used to bad design. The question is whether the design is actually better. Removing buttons served no purpose except to pad Apple's profit margin. The removal of stalks and other buttons are the same for Tesla. Digging through a menu or using a voice command to open the glovebox is just stupid. The current Model S has a very unobtrusive button for that purpose and it works perfectly and quickly. Removing it served no purpose except to cut costs.

Also, you didn't answer the question. How is the stalk-less yoke better than the old MS wheel?

Reactions: HellsKitchen
The gap will be more like a year, but Tesla should be able to ramp production faster since this isn't their first rodeo. It isn't Ford's either when it comes to building the trucks themselves. But my guess is they are battery constrained and this is all they could secure from their suppliers.

I have a very early CT reservation and only made my F150 reservation a few weeks ago. How did you figure out your place in line with Ford?
Assuming no delays,

Tesla will start production EOY 2022. So that's October-December.
Ford will start production Spring 2022. So that's March-April.

So in theory it could be as little as a 6 month gap. Unlikely, but remotely possible.

Of course if Tesla delays the Cybertruck a second time, then it all goes out the window. My feeling is so long as the 4680 cells get squared they won't have trouble hitting EOY though. They will certainly have plenty of time to sort out the factory and resolve any design issues.

I don't have a Ford reservation, the big reason I like the Cybertruck is because of the bang-for-the-buck and the Ford doesn't really get me there.

The question is not whether one can get used to bad design.
This is why I mentioned the iPhone versus Blackberry. Lots of people claimed it was a terrible design choice at the time, but history has shown that the versatility of having software keyboards on a phone is better than the physical keyboard.

Fortunately for me, we're going to have a 18 months or more with Model S owners dealing with the yoke issues and possibly rebelling against Tesla about it before my truck gets delivered.

Reactions: CyberGus
Also, you didn't answer the question. How is the stalk-less yoke better than the old MS wheel?

I'm strictly in wait and see mode with regards to the yoke. I haven't used it so it's impossible for me to say.

My feeling is it is primarily a cost savings measure as you suggest. The Cybertruck has always had the yoke, that along with a hundred other design choices on the Cybertruck are why it is as affordable as it is. From what I've seen so far, the other benefits outweigh the any potential inconvenience of the yoke.

On the Model S and the Roadster? I'd definitely want to drive it and experience it before pulling the trigger. Neither of those cars are on my short list so I'm not worried about it.

(apologies for the double reply, somehow missed that last question)

I admit I was a Blackberry devotee. After my company transitioned to iPhone-only and took away my BB I quickly forgot about the BB's physical keypad. Crazy that I never use my thumbs for typing anything now. A complete 180% turn took <1 day.

Are you kidding me?

The amount of crap Apple got over the lack of physical buttons was insane.

Reminds me a lot of this exact discussion.

The gap will be more like a year, but Tesla should be able to ramp production faster since this isn't their first rodeo. Though it isn't Ford's either when it comes to building the trucks themselves. But my guess is they are battery constrained and this is all they could secure from their suppliers.

The question is not whether one can get used to bad design. The question is whether the design is actually better. Removing buttons served no purpose except to pad Apple's profit margin. The removal of stalks and other buttons are the same for Tesla. Digging through a menu or using a voice command to open the glovebox is just stupid. The current Model S has a very unobtrusive button for that purpose and it works perfectly and quickly. Removing it served no purpose except to cut costs.

The stalkless yoke isn’t better.
tesla hasn’t built any trucks so this is their first rodeo for trucks

• Disagree
Reactions: Bridor
Assuming no delays,

Tesla will start production EOY 2022. So that's October-December.
Ford will start production Spring 2022. So that's March-April.

So in theory it could be as little as a 6 month gap. Unlikely, but remotely possible.
Yeah, you are new here :) There is zero chance Tesla will make the early part of the window. Tesla is a Silicon Valley company. Late 2022 means 12/31/2022 at 23:59.

Meanwhile, assuming they have a sufficient supply of parts, the odds are high that Ford will hit March/April 2022, although their production targets are quite modest.
This is why I mentioned the iPhone versus Blackberry. Lots of people claimed it was a terrible design choice at the time, but history has shown that the versatility of having software keyboards on a phone is better than the physical keyboard.
This statement is misleading and wild speculation. It is just as accurate to say that the iPhone was successful in SPITE of the keyboard, not because of it. iOS, the merging of iPod and cell phone, the app store, etc were what made the iPhone a success, not the VKB. People adapted to the virtual keyboard, they don't prefer it. I am confident that is true because people don't use virtual keyboards on desktop machines. We use physical keyboards. Granted, the only way to completely prove either of our statements would have been if Apple made both PKB and VKB versions of the iPhone and we could see which one sold better. Personally, I find that I type faster on a VKB but I make more mistakes so it ends up being a wash.

People (myself included) will adapt to the yoke because we want everything else that comes with Plaid (same reason people moved from BB to iPhone). Again, read the MS Refresh threads. The BEST thing that anyone has said about the yoke is that it's "not that bad." That is not a ringing endorsement. They have a lot of other negative things to say. Can't find the turn signals, can't find the horn when they need it, etc.

Anyway, it is what it is. Tesla is going with the yoke and they won't change. Elon doesn't make mistakes.

How does the Ford truck get $12,000 in rebates. Thought it was $7500 but only until Ford sells like 250,000 EVs?

How does the Ford truck get $12,000 in rebates. Thought it was $7500 but only until Ford sells like 250,000 EVs?
They are talking about the EV credits in the proposed spending bill that is going through congressional sausage-making. No telling what will actually shake out in the end so this is pure speculation.

Reactions: TessP100D
They are talking about the EV credits in the proposed spending bill that is going through congressional sausage-making. No telling what will actually shake out in the end so this is pure speculation.
Oh. I saw that along with all of the other proposals but his post made it sound like it was an actual thing.