Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck is a scam.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From my perspective, what we are seeing here is the luster of the company being worn thin by too many misleading statements, poor customer service, sub-par build quality and other variables that are leaving a sour taste in people’s mouths.

Based on my customer experience, I for one will not likely purchase another Tesla. The product isn’t so compelling that they can afford to drop the ball in so many ways and expect customers to just keep showing up for a repeat experience.

That’s just my take. I’m probably much more particular than the average person. If wanting my 2.5 year old car to not creak and rattle over every bump can be defined as particular.

From my perspective, what we are seeing here is the luster of the company being worn thin by too many misleading statements, poor customer service, sub-par build quality and other variables that are leaving a sour taste in people’s mouths.

Based on my customer experience, I for one will not likely purchase another Tesla. The product isn’t so compelling that they can afford to drop the ball in so many ways and expect customers to just keep showing up for a repeat experience.

That’s just my take. I’m probably much more particular than the average person. If wanting my 2.5 year old car to not creak and rattle over every bump can be defined as particular.
I'll preface this by saying, one man's junk is another man's treasure. I really love fsd beta despite its many flaws. However, as soon as a real competitor pops up for fsd beta, I can't help but feel the same way. Tesla has been overly focused on cost cutting and the service center experience may be the worst in the industry. Not to mention poor materials which start to degrade after a year or so of normal use, poor build quality, the embarrassing half shafts issues... the list goes on.

While I love fsd beta... omg has everything else been neglected. Autowipers, auto park, smart summon, forget about s and x ui, software with memory leaks requiring car reboots, outlets which bug out and don't stay on after leaving the car with sentry/ac on, just what the heck tesla. You are supposed to be *the* tech car. What's going on?

Then the cost cutting... oh God the cost cutting. They continue to homogenize the 3/y with the s/x to the point that the highlander interior now looks very model s and they are selling a 100k truck brand new with missing features (no ap, wheel adjustment, locking differentials) and an interior which looks like the model 3. You aren't a darling tech startup anymore. You need to slow down and refine what you already have, it's too early to start cannibalizing yourself like you are post market crash gmc. It's so frustrating to see tesla squandering its success. I give it another 2 years before teslas reputation with the general public is absolute trash.

This is as good of a place to mention this as anywhere, I've seen 3 CT's so far here in Austin, including one parked outside of a hiking spot that I got to look at up close for about 5 minutes (pictures below) but then my kid was ready for her hike.

Really, you can't imagine how poorly this vehicle is manufactured. At a cursory glance, body panels are off by 10+mm everywhere. It looks unfinished at best. Also worth mentioning is that it looks dangerous, and I don't mean that in a cool way. Some body panels are nothing but a cut sheet of stainless with no finishing at all, just a straight exposed nearly razor's edge.

I do think it's a cool looking rig at first. However, think about how many crazy combinations there are of the F150 to increase variety. I think the CT is going to look absurd by this time next year as they will all look exactly the same.

Resized_20231230_135712.jpeg
Resized_20231230_135706.jpeg

Last edited:
I happen to love EV's. They are the ultimate in luxury. Nearly silent, mad acceleration, simplicity, etc. They make amazing passenger cars for a 2+ car household.

However, what they aren't good for is people that need to actually haul things with that vehicle, people that road trip or go over 200 miles from home often with that vehicle, and people that don't own a long-term home with a dedicated parking space.

The future of FS trucks and SUVs is Hybrids. Just 2 powertrain options needed: the PHEV for homeowners and a standard non plug in Hybrid for everyone else.

Don't even get me started on the stupidity of EV Semis.

I happen to love EV's. They are the ultimate in luxury. Nearly silent, mad acceleration, simplicity, etc. They make amazing passenger cars for a 2+ car household.

However, what they aren't good for is people that need to actually haul things with that vehicle, people that road trip or go over 200 miles from home often with that vehicle, and people that don't own a long-term home with a dedicated parking space.
I'm with you on this. I love my older Tesla, despite its many flaws. But I would never reccomend a Tesla to someone needs to be at work everyday, drive the kids to school everyday, doesn't have access to 8hrs of level 2 charging a day and/or must drive more than 100mi regularly in a single day.

But if you work from home, work locally, have access to alternate transportation (another car, afford multiple ubers/rental car), a consistant place to charge, and are willing to accept that it's going to annoy the hell out of you at least once a week, then go for it!

I see a lot of people on forums reccomending Tesla to people who have to go in to work daily, drive kids to school/sports/activities and rely on supercharging. I find that type of adivce to be very reckless and the reason you see so many Tesla owners struggling this winter. I did that for 8 months in 2018 and it added at LEAST 3-4hours a week of supercharging, going out of my way, and planning (this was before the M3/MY really took off, even with more superchargers in my area now, the lines to supercharge are way worse now than they ever were in 2017/2018). EV infrastructure just isn't there yet.

Last edited:
This is as good of a place to mention this as anywhere, I've seen 3 CT's so far here in Austin, including one parked outside of a hiking spot that I got to look at up close for about 5 minutes (pictures below) but then my kid was ready for her hike.

Really, you can't imagine how poorly this vehicle is manufactured. At a cursory glance, body panels are off by 10+mm everywhere. It looks unfinished at best. Also worth mentioning is that it looks dangerous, and I don't mean that in a cool way. Some body panels are nothing but a cut sheet of stainless with no finishing at all, just a straight exposed nearly razor's edge.

I do think it's a cool looking rig at first. However, think about how many crazy combinations there are of the F150 to increase variety. I think the CT is going to look absurd by this time next year as they will all look exactly the same.

View attachment 1009823View attachment 1009824
yikes... be ready for a *sugar* ton of debris (dust, insects, sand on winterized roads) getting through those massive gaps behind the body panels and no way of getting it ever out ...

Fully agree with you. I only bought my plaid because it was the best vehicle specifically for performance for the price. I am not loyal to EV more likely than not my next vehicle will be Ice. But Tesla isn’t targeting you nor I as customers. They’re in the race to the bottom, a numbers game. There is a ton more market share for them in the price range where the bulk of buyers will be. Many people don’t care about aesthetics, panel gaps, spartan amenities etc. They want a reliable service point a to b for a good price.

yikes... be ready for a *sugar* ton of debris (dust, insects, sand on winterized roads) getting through those massive gaps behind the body panels and no way of getting it ever out ...
And if those bugs 🐛 miss the gaps, expect instant corrosion. Even stated in the damn owners manual! 🤣😆. Best of luck, early adopters!

IMG_0421.png

Last edited:

View attachment 1009823View attachment 1009824
Just embarrassing

I'm with you on this. I love my older Tesla, despite its many flaws. But I would never reccomend a Tesla to someone needs to be at work everyday, drive the kids to school everyday, doesn't have access to 8hrs of level 2 charging a day and/or must drive more than 100mi regularly in a single day.

But if you work from home, work locally, have access to alternate transportation (another car, afford multiple ubers/rental car), a consistant place to charge, and are willing to accept that it's going to annoy the hell out of you at least once a week, then go for it!

I see a lot of people on forums reccomending Tesla to people who have to go in to work daily, drive kids to school/sports/activities and rely on supercharging. I find that type of adivce to be very reckless and the reason you see so many Tesla owners struggling this winter. I did that for 8 months in 2018 and it added at LEAST 3-4hours a week of supercharging, going out of my way, and planning (this was before the M3/MY really took off, even with more superchargers in my area now, the lines to supercharge are way worse now than they ever were in 2017/2018). EV infrastructure just isn't there yet.
I guess for us it remains to be seen as we have only owned our MY LR for coming up on a year as of 3/30/2024 and we'll have about 20k miles on it by that point in time. It is my wife's DD and has been an excellent commuter car for her daily work commute to date. Once we got past the initial delivery gremlins/issues it's been solid to date. She drives about 50 miles per day total on average (45 miles for her work commute plus typically a few errands after work that add up to about 50 miles per day on average). We have a L2 Gen 3 TWC installed in our garage where she parks. So far at least, it's been an excellent commuter vehicle and DD. So at least to date, I'm not sure I agree that BEVs aren't good DD cars at least IME. The TWC only takes roughly 1.5 hours overnight to charge to 80% for our daily use needs. I do completely agree that not having an L2 home charging capability is a detractor without a doubt - since the owner would be 100% reliant on SCs on top of having to pay SC charging rates which are often 3-4x as expensive as home charging at least in my area. Overall I think BEVs are best for daily commutes and local driving/errands - but do have some challenges once you start comparing ICE/BEV long distance travel times due to multiple lengthy charging sessions.

I realize BEVs aren't for everyone, especially for certain use cases/edge cases. Specific to the CT and this thread - I don't think I would road trip in a CT given it uses a lot more wh/mile energy than other Tesla vehicles and seems to top out at 200 miles at most - we'd stick with our MY LR without a doubt - it is more efficient and takes less time to charge. We can take road trips in our MY LR up to about 400 miles one way and currently only have to stop once for single SC charging session for about 30 minutes - which is tolerable for us as we are in our early 50s and need to stop for food/bathroom/stretch breaks anyways after a few hours behind the wheel. Not sure I would go much beyond a single charging stop and extend beyond the 400 mile barrier though. Last year we took a 600 mile (each way) road trip and ended up taking our truck (1500 series pickup) just because we get upwards of 600 miles on a single tank, and there weren't many SCs in our destination area - nor were there any destination chargers nearby - so we didn't want the hassle of having to deal with charging while on vacation. To each his own of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLRifleman

My opinion is that for someone like my wife, who just runs errands every day but is a stay-at-home mom and stays under 75 miles most days and only occasionally does 120 miles in a day, an EV for her vehicle is perfect. We'll even use her EV on the weekends as a family, savings significant fueling expenses.

The trick is however, that I drive the other vehicle in the household, an F150 Powerboost that is used for hauling, pulling, road tripping, my business, etc. It also runs my entire house using its generator function when needed. Heck, we can even charge her EV off of the truck if needed.

Both ICE and EV have their strong and weak points. 90+% of people are chosing to purchase ICE. The % of people chosing EVs is increasing at a pretty rapid rate, while ICE sales are continously dropping. More and more people are choosing EVs for their personal transportation.
All this will sort itself out.

When I purchased my first Model X, I kept the Mercedes "just because" Over time, I had fewer and fewer times I would chose to take the ICE. I finally sold off the Mercedes and said to myself I could always just rent a ICE when necessary. To this day I have never rented an ICE.

All this back and forth bickering is rarely helpful, as everybody seems to have an agenda.

Make your choice and enjoy the ride.

Both ICE and EV have their strong and weak points. 90+% of people are chosing to purchase ICE. The % of people chosing EVs is increasing at a pretty rapid rate, while ICE sales are continously dropping. More and more people are choosing EVs for their personal transportation.

When I purchased my first Model X, I kept the Mercedes "just because" Over time, I had fewer and fewer times I would chose to take the ICE. I finally sold off the Mercedes and said to myself I could always just rent a ICE when necessary. To this day I have never rented an ICE.

All this back and forth bickering is rarely helpful, as everybody seems to have an agenda.

It's true that new vehicle purchases, EV's are making large inroads. Most affluent families I know, are adding an EV to their 2-4 other vehicles. The point being is that they really aren't replacing an ICE car, in most circumstances. It's an addition.
Several people I know that have Tesla's (being in Austin, the cars and their employees are all around me) have their next vehicle purchase planned, and it's not another EV just because now the truck is getting worn out or whatever.

Absolutely agree with everything here. We are all fortunate enough to have solid support structures (financial or friends/family) to help if there is an issue. Have the time to research how EVs work and the space to charge (or time to scupercharge). Most don't have those things and until EV chargers are ubiquitous and/or EVs have an 800mi EPA range, for the majority of Americans I would not reccommend one. They will one day get there, but for now, as I said before, I have a hard time reccommending one to someone who lives in an appartment and needs to get to work 50miles away everyday.

Look at the s*** show that is Chicago and NYC this week. Tesla and EPA lying about range, Uber giving deep discounts to drivers, people who don't have homecharging. It's only gonna get worse in the coming weeks as thousands of cheap Model 3s flood the market from Hertz.

It's true that new vehicle purchases, EV's are making large inroads. Most affluent families I know, are adding an EV to their 2-4 other vehicles. The point being is that they really aren't replacing an ICE car, in most circumstances. It's an addition.
Several people I know that have Tesla's (being in Austin, the cars and their employees are all around me) have their next vehicle purchase planned, and it's not another EV just because now the truck is getting worn out or whatever.
I replaced all three of mine....