Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck testing near Wanaka - light at end of tunnel (CT waiting list)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

just saw this article...

fingers crossed... hoping to receive my CT in 2023/2024.... fingers crossed. Ordered almost 2.5 years back, so hopefully not too long waiting before me.

I don't know, unless you were within the first three or four days, you're at least a year and a half out before you'll see it. That's if Tesla even achieves the build rate that they hope.

I don't know, unless you were within the first three or four days, you're at least a year and a half out before you'll see it. That's if Tesla even achieves the build rate that they hope.
With that logic, end of 2024 or early 2025... also counting on many just holding place and end up buying Model Y/S/X instead.... still better than not knowing or only getting bottom models at NZ.

One promising part is some level of testing at NZ... means they are not going to leave RHD drive market high-and-dry... they are aiming to tap UTE market here.

It's just winter testing out of season for them. I don't think it really means anything about a commitment to rhd, sadly.
true... but hoping was part of placing pre-order...

they cancelled pre-orders for Model S and X, hopefully they will come to senses and focus on delivering CT in RHD market... I believe they would, as otherwise they have no point of difference within another year or less... either they enter first for UTE market or lose to competition.

When I was in the UK recently I was surprised to see that the english are taking to utes more than ever before. If so, that might make the rhd market big enough for CT. Certainly the Japanese don't buy many, and aus+nz is just too small.

Reactions: Audietron
When I was in the UK recently I was surprised to see that the english are taking to utes more than ever before. If so, that might make the rhd market big enough for CT. Certainly the Japanese don't buy many, and aus+nz is just too small.
Aus + NZ are too small if one is manufacturing only sedans... if producing UTE then big market to tap into...
If Tesla ever want to become a big car manufacturer, they need to start thinking global and get their head out of LHD only market... flooding market with low end models can only get them so far...

Either getting my CT, or moving away from Tesla.... either would be good only. as don't like to be played by car manufacturers... they cancelled Model S and Model X already so only 3rd strike left.

If no CT, I rather buy PAL-V... bit expensive but ground-breaking pioneering technology, and no LHD/RHD dramas - lol.

Tesla has a 4-year waiting list for the Cybertruck at this stage and will grow. Tesla can only build so many factories at a time. Tesla has 3 more new vehicle announcements in March.
The car manufacturing industry has been shaken, and now this industry will change and adopt Tesla's way or say goodbye. VW CEO said this last week it's in trouble. Tesla does offer their designs to all.

If Tesla ever want to become a big car manufacturer, they need to start thinking global and get their head out of LHD only market...
2/3rds of the world's population live in LHD countries, If you limit it to those with incomes high enough to be in the New EV buying range it'll be even higher I expect. They could easily ignore the RHD market for years and not run out of customers.

Tesla has a 4-year waiting list for the Cybertruck at this stage and will grow. Tesla can only build so many factories at a time. Tesla has 3 more new vehicle announcements in March.
The car manufacturing industry has been shaken, and now this industry will change and adopt Tesla's way or say goodbye. VW CEO said this last week it's in trouble. Tesla does offer their designs to all.
they way you put it... reminds me of Nokia time... ground breaking, first in market for everything... then small competition totally ignored (Motorola, Sony, HTC and likes) started innovating much more, then came Apple and Android....

Tesla might be one of the first in industry so far, but competition were in market for decades if not centuries making cars.... they might take time to catch-up, but they surely will overtake easily once they perfect the technology (as they are quality and finished product focussed - Tesla is the only car with BETA technology on road)... and don't forget the much recent companies like BYD, shaking the market and producing quality vehicles with advance features...

At china they started trailing out battery exchange, battery on subscription will be norm in future if it works out... making more new and existing companies to either convert or build cars at lightning speed.

So being ignorant, illusive, hiding facts, and avoiding customers can only take so far...

On the waiting list, probably 25% of them are there to know details or already purchased/purchasing the other Tesla models... there will be another 10-20% gone by the time they launch, as they purchased UTE from competition (either gas or LHD market with alternate options).... looking at time it took for china factory, they could easily put a new production line in 6-9 months and over produce... and Elon announced in May that CT available later this year for delivery.... so if many factors work (lol) in that case Tesla may deliver CT to LHD market by Christmas 2023 and RHD by or after Christmas 2024.

It's just world of IF...

Aus+NZ ute market would be lucky to be 10% of north america, and probably less. Even SA and continental europe must be much bigger, despite limitations with each of those markets. Even though we buy a lot of utes per capita there's only 30m people in the antipodes, which is small beer globally.

• Informative
they way you put it... reminds me of Nokia time... ground breaking, first in market for everything... then small competition totally ignored (Motorola, Sony, HTC and likes) started innovating much more, then came Apple and Android....

Tesla might be one of the first in industry so far, but competition were in market for decades if not centuries making cars.... they might take time to catch-up, but they surely will overtake easily once they perfect the technology (as they are quality and finished product focussed - Tesla is the only car with BETA technology on road)... and don't forget the much recent companies like BYD, shaking the market and producing quality vehicles with advance features...

At china they started trailing out battery exchange, battery on subscription will be norm in future if it works out... making more new and existing companies to either convert or build cars at lightning speed.

So being ignorant, illusive, hiding facts, and avoiding customers can only take so far...

On the waiting list, probably 25% of them are there to know details or already purchased/purchasing the other Tesla models... there will be another 10-20% gone by the time they launch, as they purchased UTE from competition (either gas or LHD market with alternate options).... looking at time it took for china factory, they could easily put a new production line in 6-9 months and over produce... and Elon announced in May that CT available later this year for delivery.... so if many factors work (lol) in that case Tesla may deliver CT to LHD market by Christmas 2023 and RHD by or after Christmas 2024.

It's just world of IF...
No point in guessing Tesla I have to wait. 🤷

Hi,

just saw this article...

fingers crossed... hoping to receive my CT in 2023/2024.... fingers crossed. Ordered almost 2.5 years back, so hopefully not too long waiting before me.
and now this :)

and

Aus + NZ are too small if one is manufacturing only sedans... if producing UTE then big market to tap into...
If Tesla ever want to become a big car manufacturer,

Two things: utes are top sellers here in Aust but tiny compared to world market. The top sellers only sell 3500 cars per month. Americans buy more than twice that many utes every day.
Tesla is also a big car manufacturer by any measure. The model Y was the best selling car worldwide recently and they are selling 85,000 of them every quarter. So they don't need to make RHD vehicles for a small market. Ford won't even bring the factory F150 fossil version here let alone the Lightning EV one. They are planning on bringing in a LHD one and authorise a converter to make it RHD.

I wish you the best but I highly doubt the cybertruck will come here.

• Informative
Two things: utes are top sellers here in Aust but tiny compared to world market. The top sellers only sell 3500 cars per month. Americans buy more than twice that many utes every day.
Tesla is also a big car manufacturer by any measure. The model Y was the best selling car worldwide recently and they are selling 85,000 of them every quarter. So they don't need to make RHD vehicles for a small market. Ford won't even bring the factory F150 fossil version here let alone the Lightning EV one. They are planning on bringing in a LHD one and authorise a converter to make it RHD.

I wish you the best but I highly doubt the cybertruck will come here.
That's what everyone thought about Model 3 and specifically about Model Y....

Cybertruck will come, but not as soon as we like. If we take Model Y example, we will see Cybertruck around 2 years mark (sometime in 2025 3rd/4th quarter) after it's getting delivered in USA.
In a way, it's good - as most of the issues are resolved by mass testing by lucky ones receiving their Cybertruck before RHD market.

fingers crossed.... as Elon is talking about start licensing FSD to other manufactures, so we might get amazing combination of Ford/Audi/Porche etc before Cybertruck gets here.

Hi, currently in the US and came across a Cybertruck today in the wild, just south of Monterey between LA and SF. great to see one and the owner said he was very happy with it.
CT Photo.jpg