Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Very Popular Topic On Rivian Forum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I put in my reservation for a CyberTruck and a Rivian R1T I figured I’d take whichever came first. My R1T arrived June of 2022 so I’ve had it for over a year now. My main use is to pull my Airstream and the R1T has been exceptional at that. It’s a beast at towing yet its small form factor fits in my garage quite nicely so I may decide to pass on the CT in favor of my R1T.
Nice! The CT seems like it would be longer than the Rivian. Might be harder to fit in the garage.

Funny, we said the same exact thing about Model S back in the day.
Yes, people forget Tesla was on the edge of death more than once. I do hope Rivian survives, as they make a really good EV truck. However in some ways their challenges are greater than Tesla. (1) This high interest rate, high inflation driven by government spending is the just the tip of the economic iceberg. Things are bad, can get much worse very quickly, and we're still driving toward that brick wall at 100 mph. There are recent historical examples of the aftermath in other countries, and their market demand will be gone overnight. (2) I have yet to see Rivian state a production target which would make them break-even. I'm sure they have some idea of what that is, but there also needs to be enough demand.

Yes, people forget Tesla was on the edge of death more than once. I do hope Rivian survives, as they make a really good EV truck. However in some ways their challenges are greater than Tesla. (1) This high interest rate, high inflation driven by government spending is the just the tip of the economic iceberg. Things are bad, can get much worse very quickly, and we're still driving toward that brick wall at 100 mph. There are recent historical examples of the aftermath in other countries, and their market demand will be gone overnight. (2) I have yet to see Rivian state a production target which would make them break-even. I'm sure they have some idea of what that is, but there also needs to be enough demand.
You have point, I ran into the owner of dealership here in the DC area, he told me can't believe how bad the car market is, he said he has been doing this for 12 years and this is the first time he has been scared that the business might actually fold, as sales have completely stalled out.

My son is taking finance classes and I told him the CPI is in bad shape and shared that when I was his age (21), I was making $50K a year in 1987, and that today for the same standard of living he would need to make ~ $134K per year.

Lots of things impacting the market, I am sure this has doubled from $150B in 2019. Sad part is the government is burying the data, but they have it. Little Known Surveillance Program Captures Money Transfers Between US and more than 20 Countries

Last edited:
Did you know that the top of the line cybertruck is going to be <70k and have a 500 mile range? I mean it was announced so its definitely true right?

Posting well known future plans doesn't have any effect at all on today's trucks.
They are pretty efficient.
The Cd has been analyzed and is very impressive as well.

LJQ89p8.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
They are pretty efficient.
The Cd has been analyzed and is very impressive as well.

LJQ89p8.jpg
This is more efficient than I expected. 2.88/kWh or 348Wh per mile is pretty good, only thing I dont see in the data is the MPH... the Cd on the Rivians are pretty amazing. Also I wonder what the cube/weight was on the towing data. 1.1 looks about the same across all platforms with only a minor deviation.

There is a niche for a smaller EV truck. Honestly it would fit my needs better than a CT but I cannot get past how ugly the Rivian grill is. If the CT proves too big to deal with regularly I may have to put on some blinders and get an R1T. I'll just have to be sure to always approach it from the rear 🫣 Though my wife wants a BEV Gladiator.
I get the small truck thing, we had a beater Datsun pickup on our farm when I was a kid, I think my dad paid like $3700 for it brand new out the door, with a manual 4 speed, I think he bought it new in 1973/4 and years later I learned to drive stick in it when we picked up bails of hay on our farm. I remember riding home in the bed of the truck when I was like 9ish years old. ( I think he traded in a Galaxy 500, which was bigger than this truck). Small worked well for us.

1698718669739.png

Reactions: zoomer0056
What i find interesting is that Tesla had their energy products as supplemental business. If it wasnt generating revenue, it at least drove stock price and created buzz. But Rivian has this entire commercial fleet angle that's already real. And if they either fulfill their Amazon obligations early or are released from exclusivity, imagine the potential revenue for last-mile commercial sales outside of the Amazon deal. I wonder if that's what he was at the white-house for.... Rivian mail trucks!

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
This is more efficient than I expected. 2.88/kWh or 348Wh per mile is pretty good, only thing I dont see in the data is the MPH... the Cd on the Rivians are pretty amazing. Also I wonder what the cube/weight was on the towing data. 1.1 looks about the same across all platforms with only a minor deviation.
Those Rivian numbers do seem quite good. Almost too good. That is how the calcs worked tho with the usable kWh and miles.

The towing data is hard to come by and you need to see it (screen) on the reliable youtube videos or wherever. The trailers I'm finding data for are ~7000+ lbs dual axle trailers. Lot of better numbers for smaller trailers.

You have point, I ran into the owner of dealership here in the DC area, he told me can't believe how bad the car market is, he said he has been doing this for 12 years and this is the first time he has been scared that the business might actually fold, as sales have completely stalled out.

My son is taking finance classes and I told him the CPI is in bad shape and shared that when I was his age (21), I was making $50K a year in 1987, and that today for the same standard of living he would need to make ~ $134K per year.

Lots of things impacting the market, I am sure this has doubled from $150B in 2019. Sad part is the government is burying the data, but they have it. Little Known Surveillance Program Captures Money Transfers Between US and more than 20 Countries
what are car dealers expecting? the era of "free money" due to excessively losened monetary policy by the Fed and ECB are definitely over. the "no money down, 2% interest over 8 yrs - car loans" are gone and won't come back. As treasury yields rise - investors demand a reasonable interest when loaning their money.

our mortgage rates are now merely back to where they were in the early 2000s and lower than in the entire 1990s and *much lower* than in the 1980s .... people forget that 30-Year Fixed Rate Mortgage Average in the United States the ultra low 3-4% mortgage rates were an outcome of the great financial crisis post 2008+ and then covid gave it another whammy.

I'm also sure car dealers did much much worse in 2008/2009 than today - when car manufacturers took billions $ in government bailout...

remittence payments have nothing to do with this. that's money - earned by foreign nationals largely - sent back home to their relatives. No different financially than me investing my money in a European Index Fund or buying a condo in Mexico. Free flow of capital is one of the hallmarks of capitalism. if you would create laws/ rules that money (once in the USA) cannot leave the country... foreign investments would dry up overnight, and stock market would crash...

Last edited:
There is a niche for a smaller EV truck. Honestly it would fit my needs better than a CT but I cannot get past how ugly the Rivian grill is. If the CT proves too big to deal with regularly I may have to put on some blinders and get an R1T. I'll just have to be sure to always approach it from the rear 🫣 Though my wife wants a BEV Gladiator.
Wait.. you think the Rivian grill is ugly? But the CT is what?

Wait.. you think the Rivian grill is ugly? But the CT is what?
Everything about the Rivian is perfectly conventional and well-executed, until you get to the grill. It doesn't fit with the rest of the vehicle. It's like inserting a kazoo into a Mozart symphony. As soon as I look at it I cringe - it just rubs me the wrong way. FWIW I had the same reaction to the original Model 3 nose. It looked like a catfish. Hideous. Highland looks much better.

As for the CT, yes it's outlandish, but all of its parts supports its outlandishness. It's more like death metal than a symphony but all of the correct instruments are there for that style of music.

Everything about the Rivian is perfectly conventional and well-executed, until you get to the grill. It doesn't fit with the rest of the vehicle. It's like inserting a kazoo into a Mozart symphony. As soon as I look at it I cringe - it just rubs me the wrong way.
Yeah, it looks like someone crossed a decent light truck with a "cute" Japanese microcar..
the original Model 3 nose. It looked like a catfish
My wife says the current M3/MY looks like a snake and now I can't unsee it...

CT front lighting is amazing
The R1T front lights are comical
I'm partial since I own an R1T, but i actually really like the front end. To me it matches the truck - but I guess that's why we all have different tastes and opinions. I will admit, I kept thinking it reminded me of an 80's si-fi robot, and I finally found what I THOUGHT it looked like, but I guess my memory wasn't that great. It was V.I.N.C.E.N.T robot from the black hole:
1698945636675.png

I'm partial since I own an R1T, but i actually really like the front end. To me it matches the truck - but I guess that's why we all have different tastes and opinions. I will admit, I kept thinking it reminded me of an 80's si-fi robot, and I finally found what I THOUGHT it looked like, but I guess my memory wasn't that great. It was V.I.N.C.E.N.T robot from the black hole:

I think they wanted it to be distinctive from a distance on the road and functional. Seems BMW grill is well known for it's grill while TBH reminds me of a pig snout.

Images from Google using: kia Telluride front parking lights at night suv

DAk5N8Z.jpg

I think they wanted it to be distinctive from a distance on the road and functional. Seems BMW grill is well known for it's grill while TBH reminds me of a pig snout.
Oh yes, it was absolutely done to be distinctive and (they hoped) iconic. Unfortunately they tried too hard and went too far. IMO they should have gone with the diamond pattern that is their logo. The nostril look on the Rivian is just a colossal miss.