Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Waiting Room - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So

Zoltrix77​

Member · From Melbourne, Australia
Gives me a down vote for posting my photo!! No reason why?
If it makes you feel better the down vote on TMC is rated as “disagree“ not “dislike”.
It’s clear that there is some pushback on all large vehicles, EV or ICE” being used as every day vehicles, but not sure why anyone would be reading the CyberTruck thread if they didn’t like or approve of such vehicles, unless they’re trying to make mischief.

I used to be a regular reader of Electrek.co but bailed once Fred stopped using Disqus as his article commenting engine and replaced it with an Electrek-only one that you had to sign up to. Sorry, Fred, you ain’t getting my data.

Anyway, I dip back into it occasionally. Recently the reports on Cybertruck there, and certainly the BTL comments, are generally pretty unflattering. The latest is the controversy over the Cybertruck tent, which costs USD $3000 and looks nothing like the initial render.

The more I read about how Cybertruck is going in the USA, the less likely I think it will ever be sold here.

• Funny
Reactions: SPadival
Fred is a hater.

Fred used to be all-in on Tesla. Regularly described as a completely one-eyed Tesla Fanboi who would never concede Tesla or Elon made even the tiniest of mistakes, ever.

I wouldn’t describe him as a “hater” now, perhaps more of a cynic and more willing to question what is going on. And you have to ask yourself why. Why would someone who used to slavishly soak up everything Elon and Tesla change their view so much?

Cynics might suggest it is due to Fred probably never getting his two free Roadster 2.0s that he secured through using his site to earn a staggering number of referral points. Others suggest it is due to Elon blocking him on Twitter once when Fred dared to ask Elon an uncomfortable question.

Either way, I don’t think you can simply write off his change in perspective as being a “hater”. That is too easy an epithet to throw out, and avoids casting a critical and objective eye over what Tesla has done over the past 4 years. A lot of it is very very good, but there are some things which should and ought be questioned.

And it avoids dealing with the comments in all the various articles, some from people whom have actually had their Cybertrucks delivered. Are they all “haters” as well? When anyone - particularly companies - start to ignore and dismiss any and all criticism, that’s a real danger sign.

I'm also confused as to why people are looking at what appears to be a solid fixed canopy with a pop-up roof (render from launch), and a tent, which are two different things, then complaining that these two different things look different.

Then why was that render ever produced? Does Tesla have an intention of producing a solid canopy with a pop-up roof?

I remember a time when posters on this and other EV sites used to absolutely tear other manufacturers apart and mock them relentlessly for producing EV renders and concepts, and taunted them with “don’t give us renders, wake us up when you have actual product you are about to sell”.

But now Tesla is being given a free pass for doing exactly that? That’s the sort of stuff I have an issue with, and it needs to be called out, no matter how much some people don’t like it being called out.

What is being called out here specifically is media bs.
Whether the article's author was/is a fan of a particular company is irrelevant. Whether there are other articles / youtube videos with opinions about said product is irrelevant.
I think it not just media bs, it’s also the prejudice of the person commenting.

The simplest challenge to anyone’s view on Tesla is to ask if they’d hold the same view if it was BMW or Audi or any other maker instead of Tesla. Would they mock Ford if those pictures were the back of a Ford pickup? Would people mock Audi if all the roadster promises and timeline changes and talk of rocket boosters been referring to an electric Audi R8 ? Equally, if BMW dropped the price of the i4 while improving sound insulation and ride and added ventilated seats, some would praise that, so they should with Tesla.

There are few who offer balanced views in my opinion, but the temptation is to label commentators as either fanboy or haters purely on the basis of whether a view is overly praising or criticising of Tesla compared to your own view, when in practice it’s worth having an open mind to both.

The simplest challenge to anyone’s view on Tesla is to ask if they’d hold the same view if it was BMW or Audi or any other maker instead of Tesla. Would they mock Ford if those pictures were the back of a Ford pickup? Would people mock Audi if all the roadster promises and timeline changes and talk of rocket boosters been referring to an electric Audi R8 ?

Yes, absolutely. I find hypocrisy and double-standards galling. And I try very, very hard to not fall into the same pit myself.

If legacy car manufacturers are mocked, scorned, derided and held in contempt by commentators (either article authors, or BTL commenters) for making renders of products they don’t currently have and may never produce, then those same authors/commentators should have the same response to Tesla doing it.

Electrek provided rivers of scorn for the former, above and below the line, for years on end.