Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daily charging if only doing 5-10 miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My usual daily usage is about 5-10 miles. The weekend use is much more. Given my daily use, should I be charging the car everyday? It rarely gets under 85% for daily use unless we do something outside our daily routine or I have a business meeting.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Work from home, might go out each night, might not. If I do it's < 20 miles.

I just keep it plugged in, in the garage with charge set to 78% or so.

Weekends, I'll bump it to 90 or 95% about an hour before I leave for a long trip depending on how far I know I'll be going.

Reactions: SSedan
Keep it plugged in. Set it for no higher than 90%. Lower than 90% may be better for the battery, but only very very slightly. You would probably need laboratory conditions to tell a difference in battery condition over the amount of time you will have the car. I worry vastly more about not having that 20% or so immediately available when I start the day than I do about any battery degradation that extra 20% will cause.
Eventually it becomes a habit: get out, plug in, go inside. I don't even remember doing it most of the time.

Reactions: SSedan and outdoors
Keep it plugged in. Set it for no higher than 90%. Lower than 90% may be better for the battery, but only very very slightly. You would probably need laboratory conditions to tell a difference in battery condition over the amount of time you will have the car. I worry vastly more about not having that 20% or so immediately available when I start the day than I do about any battery degradation that extra 20% will cause.
Eventually it becomes a habit: get out, plug in, go inside. I don't even remember doing it most of the time.
Exactly, the key is having a well established routine with minimum effort. It is what makes an ev worth it. Just plug it and set it at whatever level best for you, under 90 and come back next day and drive away. :)

Truly it's not going to make much difference either way. We are in about the same situation with having only a 2 mile drive to work, so we go 2 or 3 days before charging again. The charge port and the latching mechanism, etc. is kind of a wear item, so you would be using that twice as much or more if you do plug in every single day when you don't need to. That may be a consideration.

Tesla specifically says to plug the car in as much as possible when not in use.
That is Tesla "specifically" using marketing speak. They were having to counteract this stupid myth people had heard about electric cars that they would overcharge and blow up if they were left plugged in after charging. They wanted to reassure people that it was fine to leave them plugged in if they wanted to, and bonus: they would always have enough range.

Reactions: leporsche
Truly it's not going to make much difference either way. We are in about the same situation with having only a 2 mile drive to work, so we go 2 or 3 days before charging again. The charge port and the latching mechanism, etc. is kind of a wear item, so you would be using that twice as much or more if you do plug in every single day when you don't need to. That may be a consideration.

You're doing your battery a disservice, in my opinion. Let's check back in a few years and see if our batteries have degraded any differently ;)

• Funny
Reactions: KG M3 and Rocky_H
You're doing your battery a disservice, in my opinion. Let's check back in a few years and see if our batteries have degraded any differently ;)
Considering that all of the lithium ion battery studies show that spending more of its life near the 50% midpoint is healthier long term than spending its entire life between 85% and 90%, let's just say that I am not the only one who disagrees with you.

Considering that all of the lithium ion battery studies show that spending more of its life near the 50% midpoint is healthier long term than spending its entire life between 85% and 90%, let's just say that I am not the only one who disagrees with you.

How does this impact batter calibration for mileage range? Would charging to say 50-70 percent impact Tesla's navigation when estimating supercharging stops?

That is Tesla "specifically" using marketing speak. They were having to counteract this stupid myth people had heard about electric cars that they would overcharge and blow up if they were left plugged in after charging. They wanted to reassure people that it was fine to leave them plugged in if they wanted to, and bonus: they would always have enough range.
That’s your assumption, not fact. The postcard “A connected Model S is a happy Model S” that came in the cars for the first few years described the battery management when plugged in.

How does this impact batter calibration for mileage range? Would charging to say 50-70 percent impact Tesla's navigation when estimating supercharging stops?
Yes, it probably does affect that and lets the calibration get kind of fuzzy and inaccurate by some miles over time, but truing up the reading of the number on the display is just a warm fuzzy for the driver, and I'm fine with the trade-off of keeping less long term degradation in exchange for the number being not as precise.

That’s your assumption, not fact.
:D Ha HAAA! Uh, no. It's referencing scientific studies of the degradation behaviors of batteries--specifically not any assumptions on my part.

The postcard “A connected Model S is a happy Model S” that came in the cars for the first few years described the battery management when plugged in.
The nugget of truth you are trying to reference here does have to do with if it needs to do some temperature management to cool the batteries down on really really hot days. I remember people having found that it uses different temperature range variables for the heating and cooling if an external energy source is available. I have observed that myself during our 103+ degree summer days. My car sits out in the baking sun at work, and my short drive home doesn't cool it off much, and when I park, the car is sitting fairly quietly, but when I plug in, it does decide that it will use shore power to spin up the cooling system to cool the battery off more since the extra energy is available.

So yes, it's still a good idea in really extreme temperature times of year to plug in every day to help it that way. But these months of 50 to 80 degrees are not affected by that.

I'm doing pretty much that most of the time and my range estimator is spot on since Tesla improved it in a firmware update a few months ago. I believe calibration will take care of itself if you take a longer trip every once in a while that uses a larger SoC range.

[QUOTE=":D Ha HAAA! Uh, no. It's referencing scientific studies of the degradation behaviors of batteries--specifically not any assumptions on my part.[/QUOTE]

Link?? I'd love to see your scientific studies and read them for myself rather than have you throw out that line. Saying you are referencing, what I would assume to be peer review material, is utterly useless.