Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daily commute is 10 miles - Should i charge daily ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I am sure you will get a lot of different responses to your question, my answer is no. You do not need to charge daily if you are only driving 10 miles per day.

What I do is (except before a long trip) is to charge to 90% and don't charge again until it is less than about 100 miles of range.

Assuming you have home charging, Tesla recommends ABC (always be charging- ie plug in). I don’t think it’s s big deal one way or the other. One thing is unless you have the LFP battery, don’t charge over 90% and then let it sit for days.

While I am sure you will get a lot of different responses to your question, my answer is no. You do not need to charge daily if you are only driving 10 miles per day.

What I do is (except before a long trip) is to charge to 90% and don't charge again until it is less than about 100 miles of range.

So assuming a LR Y, that 100 miles of range would be approximately 30%? So basically charge to 90%, and then drive drive drive until 30%, then charge up to 90%?

Similar to the OP, my commute everyday is 8 miles. 2 in the morning, then 6 in the afternoon.

Reactions: David Sowden
Assuming you have home charging, Tesla recommends ABC (always be charging- ie plug in). I don’t think it’s s big deal one way or the other. One thing is unless you have the LFP battery, don’t charge over 90% and then let it sit for days.

I have a similar situation with the OP I commute 8 miles everyday. According to this, that means the car would be charged everyday to say 90%, and then at the end of the day maybe it's at 85%, so the battery is constantly between 85% to 90%. Is this better (minimizing battery degradation) than charging every 2 weeks and charge from say 20-30% up to 90%? So little baby charges everyday or big charge once every 2 weeks?

It's been shown that battery degradation sees a spike for those that routinely charge above 57%. It's not a massive spike, and all batteries will have some amount of degradation just because of calendar aging... so definitely do what's convenient.

My recommendation though, and what I do, is to set your charging to 50% and charge regularly. It doesn't have to be daily, just top it up as often as needed.

Unless you have an LFP battery, in which case Tesla says 100% at least once a week (I think).

Reactions: 804son and E90alex
I drive 12 miles on average. I plug in and charge most days in winter ~90 minutes; I only plug in 4 out of 7 days in spring, summer and fall. My preference is to maintain the battery between 70% and 80%, a bit higher in winter when I use more energy for preconditioning and driving.

You could start out setting the charging limit to 60% and see if that meets your needs. You can easily change the daily charging limit up or down using the Tesla app if you need to adjust the settings.

I'm don't leave my Model Y plugged in when not actively charging or scheduled to charge because of frequent electrical storms in the mid-atlantic area in spring and summer. I prefer not to have my Model Y plugged in if there is forecast of storms.

I'm not the OP, but have similar commute as I stated above, 8 miles/day.

Thanks to all who responded in this thread, very very helpful! And also the mega thread on charging in the Model 3 forums is also very educational.

Thanks everyone!

Hello All,

I am a new owner of MYLR 7 seater and was looking for recommendations on charging. My roughly average daily commute is 10 miles (picking and dropping my son to day care) - Should i charge daily ?
You did not mention if charging was inconvenient or not and that is a large factor in what should be done. Ten miles is about 3 kWh, so fast to restore on a charger. It is best to have it plugged in if there is no reason not to.

Hello All,

I am a new owner of MYLR 7 seater and was looking for recommendations on charging. My roughly average daily commute is 10 miles (picking and dropping my son to day care) - Should i charge daily ?

Yes.

For your commute, set the charge limit to 50% and plug it in when at home. There is no reason to charge more unless you're headed out on a trip.

Also, if you find out late at night that you have to make an unexpected road the next morning, you can just pull out your phone and raise the charge level, without having to go out and plug in the car ... in your pj's ... or even worse.

You did not mention if charging was inconvenient or not and that is a large factor in what should be done. Ten miles is about 3 kWh, so fast to restore on a charger. It is best to have it plugged in if there is no reason not to.
I should have mentioned that i have wall connector setup at home so charging is not a problem. It just doesn't feels right (notion coming from charging your phone even if it is 70% charged) to charge daily.