Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damaged by FWD on the first day...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry. Soon your new X will be fixed to 100% and this won't happen again. That's because your open door awareness will always be on alert before moving the vehicle. Chimes alone are not enough for these cars. My narrow garage causes my parking sensors to go nuts, even backing out. That's okay, but what if it's an open door? Easy to become desensitized to the noise. So, I've got a habit of checking the dash caution and warnings, making sure they are extinguished before moving.

Tesla could help all owners with another layer of protection. Whenever R,N, or D is selected, a large message could pop up on the touchscreen, "You are about to move your vehicle with the (whatever is open). Are you sure that you want to Proceed?" Pressing "Proceed" would wake up even the most distracted driver.

Now all I can do is to wait for the damage report from the body shop. The glass obviously has to be replaced. The biggest question is if the door itself is bent. If bent, I was told, then the whole door would have to be replaced, which means new paint and color matched door. That would just kill me.
Sorry for your loss :) Would you please keep us updated on the situation? Also, if you wouldn't mind, can you share the costs with us on the forums? Would love to know what the range of repair costs will be for when I (or my children) undoubtedly damage my FWDs in the future.

@indy360
This is very sad to hear. You are really calm about this incident which will ensure not to add any further misery. Mistakes happen, no need to take it too hard. I hope Tesla repairs your car ASAP so that you can leave this event behind.
To Tesla, please do something about this type of events. Increase the volume of warning or something. Make wheels vibrate and screen turn completely red. Skull marks maybe.

Reactions: ModelX
Of course you should be able to drive with door open.
I completely disagree. With normal doors and trunks this might be reasonable, but with that spoiler sticking up in the back and the FWDs sticking way up high (or out, in umbrella mode), it's a foreseeable (and expected) disaster just waiting to happen.

I have no problem with the driver being able to override such a restriction, but the default setting for this should be to prohibit the driver from putting the car into R, D, or N while a FWD or the rear liftgate is open.

The Model X incessantly dings at me when I drive any distance without a seatbelt (and it never stops!), so if Tesla will go to that extreme for when I'm going 3 mph on a private road with no traffic, then it should implement better safety features for the FWDs to avoid preventable and predictable damage.

Tesla could help all owners with another layer of protection. Whenever R, N, or D is selected, a large message could pop up on the touchscreen, "You are about to move your vehicle with the (whatever is open). Are you sure that you want to Proceed?" Pressing "Proceed" would wake up even the most distracted driver.
Absolutely!

The x will not move until the doors are completely closed. It will also give you warning with sound and red signs on the dash when you put into D if the doors are not closed.
Did you ignore the warnings?

The car will definitely move. At dropoff, I start pulling away from the curb even as the door is just starting to close. You get warning beeps and the dash display shows the car with red overlay where the door is. So moving is possible. Though I could see being so overcome by sensory overload the first day that it wouldn't register. Bummer of a story.

I wouldn't let Tesla off the hook on this one. My Honda van beeps loudly and continuously when I move to D with any of the sliding doors not fully closed.

- when in D, doors should not open from a closed position. This is very basic that my Odyssey does. And I hope X too.

- when not fully closed you should not be able to move away from P or N. Or at the very least a loud continuous chime different from other chimes.

Sorry for your loss :) Would you please keep us updated on the situation? Also, if you wouldn't mind, can you share the costs with us on the forums? Would love to know what the range of repair costs will be for when I (or my children) undoubtedly damage my FWDs in the future.
Yeah, I'll definitely keep the forum updated. I just got the inspection from the insurance company and will be taking it to the body shop next week for them to do the tear down and get a real estimate. My biggest fear at this point is having to wait weeks or months for a part. All I hope is for the car to get fixed quickly so that I can get full use out of the car.

Funny note: I took my daughter to swim class yesterday and coming back to the car in the opposite direction I opened the damaged door by mistake. The guy standing next to the car looked admiringly at the car and said "cool doors!" After I got in the car I realized that I had opened the door that was broken and so when I tried to close it, it wouldn't fully close. The guy didn't notice and I had to wait a few minutes for him to leave so that I can go out and manually wedge the door back in. That's pretty much the one time I did not want any attention on the car. :)

I wouldn't let Tesla off the hook on this one. My Honda van beeps loudly and continuously when I move to D with any of the sliding doors not fully closed.

- when in D, doors should not open from a closed position. This is very basic that my Odyssey does. And I hope X too.

- when not fully closed you should not be able to move away from P or N. Or at the very least a loud continuous chime different from other chimes.

I don't think locking it out entirely when in D is a wise choice. Having some sort of override required when in D is reasonable and useful - it only opens when the button is held for several seconds, say (beeping warnings the whole time) - but you don't want to trap passengers after an accident, for example.

Reactions: Blastphemy
I admire your forthrightness and I sure do understand what it's like to be overwhelmed with information from a new product. That's why, after a test drive, I can barely tell you anything about what I just drove. :) And I note that the peanut gallery lost no time in deciding where the fault must be. To those, I offer this thought experiment. If I'm too stupid to handle a feature like this, and I can't ask the manufacturer to help me, I must conclude that I really shouldn't own this vehicle. It's at that point, when they are losing sales to us well-informed idiots, that they get to decide just how much they want to watch out for me.

I think a lockout, with an override capability is a good fit in this case. Also, distinctive (different) warning sounds would be useful, except I have observed that most people do not pay attention to details like that. Watch the next time a phone rings--completely different ring tones, and yet everyone goes diving for their phone.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune - this is becoming a pattern - a number of people have damaged their falcon doors soon after getting the car. Distraction must play a role.

Something like this happened to me with an ICE car years ago. It was one of those cars with the side windows that are not surrounded by metal when the car door is open. The driver door was slightly open for some reason, I was distracted and backed the car out of the garage. The door of course then swung open and the glass caught the side of the garage door and basically exploded all over me. Scared me half to death! Anyway, you're not alone.

Maybe what Tesla needs to do is create a simulator package that you have to use successfully for at least, oh, say, 200 hours before you're checked out to operate the Model X. Like a commercial pilot. Then we'd have less of these disasters.

I totally agree the driver needs to make an extra step to move the car if the door is not closed completely. This is very dangerous.
But It has to allow the car to move too for safety reason, rescue or emergency situations.
Something like Accepting on the screen and press the pedal are required

<snip>
My heart stopped for a few minutes.

After I regained consciousness, I reluctantly went to assess the damage. The glass on the roof was cracked, but what's worse was that when I tried to close the door, it wasn't able to fully close. The door is now misaligned by 1-2 degrees. I had to pull on the door and press it in far enough that the mechanical catch was then able to close it fully.

For the next few hours those 2 minutes just looped in my brain over and over. At some point I just accepted the situation and thought about how this could have happened.
<snip>
Sorry! Had this same feeling in my previous car when the garage door was not fully open and I scraped the top of my car backing out. Had no idea what damage I did and was afraid to get out and look. Antenna tore off and scrapes that mostly buffed out but sounded a lot worse than that with my head a few inches from where the scraping was happening!

There is no reason that the car should allow you to drive with the doors open. With only 3,000 cars shipped, and 4 reported similar situations, it should be clear by now that people are making this mistake. Can you argue that it's incredibly reckless behavior? Yeah. But it is happening, and it's bad press, at best.

I would also say this does not bode well for insurance rates either...

I hate to play devils advocate, but...... I don't drive my cars with the doors open, and I'm pretty sure I would notice a freaking huge opening in the side of the car when trying to be aware of my surroundings...... I feel your pain though. As for tesla's fault.... I think that is nuts. Its probably teslas fault that the battery doesn't stay charged at 100 percent when you drive either.

This is almost too embarrassing to admit, but I ended up damaging my falcon wing door the same day I took delivery. No, this is not another tread about the door malfunctioning. It was more my brain that malfunctioned.

So I took delivery of my beautiful Midnight Silver 90D and spend the entire afternoon on my driveway messing around with the doors, configuring the car, experimenting with Auto Summon, and just admiring the car that I had waited three years for. After awhile, I pulled the car into the garage and heard a heart stopping crunch. Apparently I had left the FWD behind the driver's seat open and just drove the door straight into the overhang of the garage. My heart stopped for a few minutes.

After I regained consciousness, I reluctantly went to assess the damage. The glass on the roof was cracked, but what's worse was that when I tried to close the door, it wasn't able to fully close. The door is now misaligned by 1-2 degrees. I had to pull on the door and press it in far enough that the mechanical catch was then able to close it fully.

For the next few hours those 2 minutes just looped in my brain over and over. At some point I just accepted the situation and thought about how this could have happened. Primarily, I think it was just the fact that the car is so different. This is my first Tesla and first EV. Even though I know how everything is supposed to work, I had to erase 30 years of muscle and sensory memory driving ICE and come up with new instincts. It's like switching from Windows to Mac, or vice versa. There are just enough things different that you end up doing things wrong the first few times because your instincts are wrong.

Here's how I rationalized the accident. One, on a regular vehicle, if the rear passenger door was open, you'd expect a door in your path when you get into the driver's side door. With the FWD, the doors were lifted mostly out of my visual field that I just didn't sense that it was open in my distracted state. Two, because it's an EV, there is zero engine noise, so when I put it into drive, I didn't hear any outside noise that cued me into the fact that the FWD was open. Three, the little warning that told me that the door was open was so soft, and the interface on the dash was so new and full of information that I was not accustomed to, that I totally did not notice any warning whatsoever. In the end, if I had been lucky to not have the accident for a few weeks, I would have developed the new instincts that would prevent this altogether.

Now all I can do is to wait for the damage report from the body shop. The glass obviously has to be replaced. The biggest question is if the door itself is bent. If bent, I was told, then the whole door would have to be replaced, which means new paint and color matched door. That would just kill me.

At least I didn't have both FWD open.

Thats going to be expensive, I have to take in my range rover for a crack in the pano roof which covers the whole roof and its over $3k, insurance covers it minus deductible.

There is no reason that the car should allow you to drive with the doors open. With only 3,000 cars shipped, and 4 reported similar situations, it should be clear by now that people are making this mistake. Can you argue that it's incredibly reckless behavior? Yeah. But it is happening, and it's bad press, at best.

When I got my first Prius, I was so scared of driving off with it plugged in. I finally had to test it, and sure enough, I was locked out.

Tesla, get your *sugar* together and lock people out of driving with the doors open! Give them an override on the screen that makes them click a button to disable this lock-out for very special cases, such as a zombie attack in a mall parking garage.
Or the door won't shut and you need to make it to service center, home etc

The x will not move until the doors are completely closed. It will also give you warning with sound and red signs on the dash when you put into D if the doors are not closed.
Did you ignore the warnings?

This is not correct. The car will drive with the doors open. It will provide multiple warnings, both visual and audible, but it WILL move.

My condolences to the OP.