Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam - Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd offer up that there are more than one extensive threads on this. But the main reasons are video proof in cases where someone sees a high price tag vehicle and wants to try scam money by getting you to wreck into them. Or to have parking video in case someone hits the car and takes off without leaving insurance information.

• Helpful
Reactions: fallen888
Installing a dash camera has nothing to do with how expensive your car is (I have one in my 2006 Tacoma), and everything to do with protecting yourself in the event of an accident that is caused by another driver that might be difficult to prove later on.

For example, while driving one day I was sitting in the left hand turn lane waiting for the light to give me a green arrow and someone from the lane to the right of me pulled into the intersection ahead of me to try and make an illegal left. They quickly figured out traffic was too heavy for that, and threw their car into reverse and, at a very high rate of speed, reversed back into their lane next to me. Now, if they had hit me during that process, I would have zero proof that THEY caused the accident since it would look like I rear-ended them after the fact.

After that incident, I bought dash cams for all of my vehicles.

I agree, a dashcam install has nothing to do with the price of the vehicle. Dashcam videos provide another level of verification in the event of a vehicle accident. In the case of the Model S, installing a dashcam is easy so, why not install one.

I would NOT drive without a dashcam.

You are driving a 100K car, and even if you are not, there are other similar cars on the road.
I wouldn't want me or my insurance company to be stuck with the repair bill for that, especially when its not my fault. Or for that matter a scam artist jumping in front of the car and faking an injury. Yes that does happen unfortunately.

Without a dashcam, you can't prove anything.

You are relying on damage marks on the vehicles, which frequently don't tell the story and can be concealed.
You are relying on the other guy's word - and people lie, and they do so shamelessly. If it's your word against theirs, the "innocent until guilty" kicks in, i.e. they are off scratch free.
You are relying on the other guy not going underground, which sorry to say, a lot of illegals driving around us, and they do go underground. Guess what, the other guy's insurance company will not pay until they confirm the details from their insured, and the other insured sometimes simply goes to another insurance company and doesn't answer their phone.
You are relying on a policeman taking a report - by the time police shows up, IF they do, the true picture of the situation would have changed.

Seriously, get yourself a dashcam. Over the life of the car, it will most likely pay for itself many times over. Plus, sometimes you'll find fun things to capture.

I got into an accident with my Nissan Leaf, I had then green light approaching an intersection and another driver ran the red through the intersection in front of me. I slammed on my brakes and ended up sliding in to her car between the driver side front and rear doors as she went through the intersection. At least 6 witnesses and not one stopped. I tried to get security camera footage from hotel on the corner to no avail.

Immediately following the accident I wrote down my information in a document, the next day reported it to both insurance companies. Other person couldn't be reached by either insurance company for a week or two, she finally gave her side of the accident through her lawyer. With no witnesses it became a my word vs her word, she said she had the green and I T-boned her.

My insurance company stood by me and kindly did not make me pay my deductible and cut me a check for my totaled car, however 10 months later the case still hasn't been completely settled.

I now have dashcams in all of my cars. If I get in an accident I will ask the police to review the camera footage at the scene and document it. Cheap price to pay to have an actual recording of the situation. And if I am the cause of the accident so be it, I accept responsibility for my actions.

I'd offer up that there are more than one extensive threads on this. But the main reasons are video proof in cases where someone sees a high price tag vehicle and wants to try scam money by getting you to wreck into them. Or to have parking video in case someone hits the car and takes off without leaving insurance information.
Exactly! I haven't gotten mine yet and I could have used it yesterday. I was a charger and someone backed into my hood...ya..no note.

I got into an accident with my Nissan Leaf, I had then green light approaching an intersection and another driver ran the red through the intersection in front of me. I slammed on my brakes and ended up sliding in to her car between the driver side front and rear doors as she went through the intersection. At least 6 witnesses and not one stopped. I tried to get security camera footage from hotel on the corner to no avail.

Immediately following the accident I wrote down my information in a document, the next day reported it to both insurance companies. Other person couldn't be reached by either insurance company for a week or two, she finally gave her side of the accident through her lawyer. With no witnesses it became a my word vs her word, she said she had the green and I T-boned her.

My insurance company stood by me and kindly did not make me pay my deductible and cut me a check for my totaled car, however 10 months later the case still hasn't been completely settled.

I now have dashcams in all of my cars. If I get in an accident I will ask the police to review the camera footage at the scene and document it. Cheap price to pay to have an actual recording of the situation. And if I am the cause of the accident so be it, I accept responsibility for my actions.

Had a similar experience in my Mazda, which actually is the car my Model S replaced. T-boned a young girl who ran a red light and who profusely apologized right after the accident. Once a day or two had passed, though, she said she had a green. Since it was word vs. word, the insurance company (who by chance insured both of us) would not assign fault, so I had to pay the deductible and now have an $11k claim on my record.

People here love the Blackvue, mostly because it comes with a rear view channel. I have a Streetguardian and a Panorama S, both of which are great cams as well.

DashCamTalk Is a great spot for reviews and recommendations.
Frustrated, I just now went online and bought that BlackVue 650s. There was a guy at the Palladio new SC that had one and liked it. Easy install 1 channel wifi.