Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Icon Missing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"CNTL-ALT-DEL" required. Fixed mine after updating to 2019.20.4.2. Turn car off in security/safety screen, pull USB drive, wait five minutes, Press scroll wheels in while stepping on brake. Insert USB drive after it boots back up. No reformatting required.

"CNTL-ALT-DEL" required. Fixed mine after updating to 2019.20.4.2. Turn car off in security/safety screen, pull USB drive, wait five minutes, Press scroll wheels in while stepping on brake. Insert USB drive after it boots back up. No reformatting required.
Just tried it and still only have sentry.

Attachments

• 15619956865415050744479114451670.jpg
    15619956865415050744479114451670.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 305
Well that was it. I have been fine all along until this update. While I did not have a 32gb USB, Just partitioned what I have to 32gb and left the rest of space alone. This worked. I will order a 32gb for my TeslaCam and have music on a separate USB. Thank you for the suggestion.

You can use a partition larger than 32gb, but Windows will insist to format any driver larger to ntfs which won't work with TeslaCam.

If your computer is Windows, you'll want to use an app to format it.

Since most flash drives tend to fail when used for a dashcam, you'll want to use a drive intended for dashcams or a SSD.

Do yourself a favor in the long run and order a larger USB device. If you park in a lot of parking lots where people are walking by all the time and Sentry files get saved, get at least a 128GB or 256GB. That 32GB will fill up in no time.

Kind of wonder if your drive has lots of bad cells and simply can't record the buffer any longer or there's no room for any sort of saved files. May not have any relation to the new software installed since I haven't seen others really having this (no TeslaCam Icon) complaint after updating. When a drive becomes unusable it will let you view files already recorded but won't let you write any more or let you reformat.

BTW when you say Sentry is working does that include recording new alert files? Have you watched anything newly recorded? or does it mean that only the red eye on the screen pops up to warn people?

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor in the long run and order a larger USB device. If you park in a lot of parking lots where people are walking by all the time and Sentry files get saved, get at least a 128GB or 256GB. That 32GB will fill up in no time.

Kind of wonder if your drive has lots of bad cells and simply can't record the buffer any longer or there's no room for any sort of saved files. May not have any relation to the new software installed since I haven't seen others really having this (no TeslaCam Icon) complaint after updating. When a drive becomes unusable it will let you view files already recorded but won't let you write any more or let you reformat.

BTW when you say Sentry is working does that include recording new alert files? Have you watched anything newly recorded? or does it mean that only the red eye on the screen pops up to warn people?
Actually have 3 128s that stopped working with 2019
20.4.2. I know this is release related as I have been using them since I bought the car. None will work above 32 on the TeslaCam. Sentry works just fine just not for normal driving.

Actually have 3 128s that stopped working with 2019
20.4.2. I know this is release related as I have been using them since I bought the car. None will work above 32 on the TeslaCam. Sentry works just fine just not for normal driving.

I’m using a card reader with a 256GB micro SD card (actually have two to switch off between them when I pull one to check files) and am on 2019.20.4.2 for a little while now. No problems here on this version with the dashcam or Sentry mode. Just checked the card the other day and working fine. I do use a Mac to format my microSD cards for FAT32 and reformat using Apple’s Disk Utilities. Using a Samsung Endurance card and a Blackvue card. Both made for dashcam use. I use the full 256GB for recording on TeslaCam.

Are your USB drives/SDcards getting hot to the touch? If so that’s sometimes an indication the card is bad.

Last edited:
Originally I was using Windows prior to this update. After being able to spend a few testing, I ended up using guiformat to format a 128gb drive. Working just fine. Also prior I had a partitioned USB but not I just am going to use a separate one for Music and TeslaCam.

You get the Sentry icon whether or not you have a usb plugged in. Sentry Mode does 2 things, 1) constant recording from cameras while parked and 2) triggers the speaker alarm with music when it detects force on the car. Without the USB, #2 is active (though Tesla says sentry video does get sent to the cloud, but there's been no way for us to access it if so).