Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam improved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now if only they'd include the rear camera as well. It's kind of funny how we're getting the cameras piece meal. But free dash cams is a fairly unique feature and I really aught not look a gift horse in the mouth... Hey buddy open up!

I agree but maybe they're leaving that to last because rear end collisions are always the fault of the person who rear ends, as far as I know. So with the new Dashcam you're pretty much covered for any accidents that might be considered your fault.

Yeah unless the guy behind got a front dash cam and can prove that you backed into them. This actually happened recently in my neighborhood. A semi backed into a passenger car because it was trying to make a wider turn and didn't see the car behind. When the police came, the semi driver said the passenger car just ran into him.

And this we continue to prove that free is never enough.

True but we know Tesla's MO. Build brand loyalty with constant improvement.

It's also free advertisement/talking points with these updates being written about in articles and forums. Zero dollars spent on advertisement and a million times better and more effective then those annoying Chevy real people ads.

Yeah unless the guy behind got a front dash cam and can prove that you backed into them. This actually happened recently in my neighborhood. A semi backed into a passenger car because it was trying to make a wider turn and didn't see the car behind. When the police came, the semi driver said the passenger car just ran into him.
Agreed that it would be helpful, but this would be still be satisfied by the front (and now side) cameras. If somebody rear-ends you and claims you backed into them, the front and side cameras would clearly show the car that got rear-ended was either stopped or moving forward. It would likely also show the "jolt" from the impact, depending on the severity.

Reactions: Runebane
I could have used this two nights ago where some wildlife hit the side of my car apparently running towards the car from the side where the front view narrow camera revealed nothing at side of road. The impact left three small dents and a glob of hair in the rear valence to quarter panel seam. Nonetheless, it's great to see so many capabilities evolve.

Unless they turn the car around to run... the car will pass you so the side camera maybe even the front camera will catch the rear license plate. The car hits you from behind may not even have a front plate.
I understand there are situations where the rear camera won't be helpful. But everyone who installs a 2 channel dashcam installs it so it captures the rear view. The Tesla has a rear view camera and I would like that to be part of the dashcam.

Reactions: Yonki
I've only had front and rear coverage with my Blackvue setup. Once the Tesla side cams are operational, that will be 360.

It's well worth the few hundred bucks to add a dedicated system no matter how much the Tesla system improves.

2 is 1 and 1 is none.

I understand there are situations where the rear camera won't be helpful. But everyone who installs a 2 channel dashcam installs it so it captures the rear view. The Tesla has a rear view camera and I would like that to be part of the dashcam.

It seems like they should be able to do it... if they could have 3.. why not 4 cameras? Maybe the rear camera is not normally active when you are driving? Or maybe the hardware can't handle buffering files for 4 cameras... Or they could roll it out later.. first stage, 1 camera, 2nd stage, 3 cameras, 3rd stage, 4 cameras.

It seems like they should be able to do it... if they could have 3.. why not 4 cameras? Maybe the rear camera is not normally active when you are driving? Or maybe the hardware can't handle buffering files for 4 cameras... Or they could roll it out later.. first stage, 1 camera, 2nd stage, 3 cameras, 3rd stage, 4 cameras.
Yeah I'm hoping they add it eventually. Three cameras are definitely better than 1 camera.

The rear camera is active while driving... I was sitting in traffic in a parking lot and someone walked behind my car; the screen showed a little person icon moving behind me. So it's on and watching.

• Informative
Reactions: Need