Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Install Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had Calibred Customs (who did my X install) come out for my 3 install today...I was there first 3 customer (they are traveling to the Bay Area tomorrow for additional installs).

I will have a full write up + video + pics soon but here is a summary:

- The install is more difficult than the X and S.
- They said everything is much better put together compared to the S and X.
- They did a super-clean job.

IMG_3250.jpeg

But unfortunately the power source we used (passenger footwell area) shuts down the power to the dashcam within 3 minutes of leaving the car
IMG_3247.jpeg

Any tips on alternative power sources? I am gonna have them comeback and fix this.

Did my front dash cam today. I don't have a lot of electrical knowledge, so I am waiting to hear what the solution for continuous power is. But, here are some panel removals I did for my routing to the center console 12V socket.

To see if we would get lucky again with an extra connector, I pulled down the hazard/dome lights housing. Its held up with 2 clips. No joy for any extra connectors there.

20180107_060454.jpg 20180107_060513.jpg

So, then I just did a route to my center console. I started at the center console end by taking off the trim piece on the passenger side of the console:
20180107_062815.jpg

It is just attached with clips and wasn't hard to unpin. There are screws underneath for the center console assembly itself. They are a specialty bolt, but a T20 worked in them. So I took a few out to gain access under the silver trim piece.

20180107_063822.jpg

You can see how I routed the 12V adapter by the little rubber pad, then under the trim piece. I then fed it up along the center console side, and around to the base of the glove box.

20180107_064328.jpg

I originally left it like shown, but once the glovebox is closed, the wire kept falling out. So I used a panel tool to shove it under that bit of trim right below the glovebox hinge. Then I removed the small bit of trim next to the glove box

20180107_064656.jpg

And routed the wire up into the A-Pillar. I pulled the A-pillar panel loose so that I could route the wires around the airbag. Used some teflon tape I had to secure the dash cam wire to the bundle already in the A-pillar and keep it clear of the airbag.

20180107_061253.jpg 20180107_065246.jpg

I then routed it across the headliner (big gap - easy), and to the dash cam mount which I have placed next to the AP housing.

Bah, I ended up mounting the camera upside down because I wanted it on the passenger side of the AP housing and still have access to the power cord (I have to unplug it where I work). Found there is no option to flip the video 180 on the front camera, so will just live with upside down video and will fix in post if I need.

Last edited:
Did my front dash cam today. I don't have a lot of electrical knowledge, so I am waiting to hear what the solution for continuous power is. But, here are some panel removals I did for my routing to the center console 12V socket.

To see if we would get lucky again with an extra connector, I pulled down the hazard/dome lights housing. Its held up with 2 clips. No joy for any extra connectors there.

View attachment 271681 View attachment 271682

So, then I just did a route to my center console. I started at the center console end by taking off the trim piece on the passenger side of the console:
View attachment 271683

It is just attached with clips and wasn't hard to unpin. There are screws underneath for the center console assembly itself. They are a specialty bolt, but a T20 worked in them. So I took a few out to gain access under the silver trim piece.

View attachment 271684

You can see how I routed the 12V adapter by the little rubber pad, then under the trim piece. I then fed it up along the center console side, and around to the base of the glove box.

View attachment 271685

I originally left it like shown, but once the glovebox is closed, the wire kept falling out. So I used a panel tool to shove it under that bit of trim right below the glovebox hinge. Then I removed the small bit of trim next to the glove box

View attachment 271686

And routed the wire up into the A-Pillar. I pulled the A-pillar panel loose so that I could route the wires around the airbag. Used some teflon tape I had to secure the dash cam wire to the bundle already in the A-pillar and keep it clear of the airbag.

View attachment 271687 View attachment 271689

I then routed it across the headliner (big gap - easy), and to the dash cam mount which I have placed next to the AP housing.

Bah, I ended up mounting the camera upside down because I wanted it on the passenger side of the AP housing and still have access to the power cord (I have to unplug it where I work). Found there is no option to flip the video 180 on the front camera, so will just live with upside down video and will fix in post if I need.

Thanks for sharing...my installer is coming today to connect the constant power so I will share pics and video once the install is complete.

I am surprised you were able to open the hazard light compartment...we didn’t risk opening it over the fear of breaking something

View attachment 271683

View attachment 271684

View attachment 271685

View attachment 271686

So the 12v adapter does not offer continuous power?

Are the hazard lights not supposed to work even when the car is powered off?

Could be a good place to look for always on current, no? Even if there seems to be a lot of wires to check...

We basically checked it all in the interior but can’t find anything that stays at 12V after the car goes to sleep. The best was 10V so we probably have to go to the frunk and tap into the battery

View attachment 271683

View attachment 271684

View attachment 271685

View attachment 271686

Was it fairly easy to pop out the trim and center console? No special tools required?

Another super clean Blackvue 2-channel dashcam install completed by Johnny and Darius from Caliber Customs today. I believe I am their second Model 3 installation. I should thank MTG for being the first since now they know where to find the constant 12V power :)

We had some interesting conversations like how they are going to be swamped and probably have to hire more people when Model 3 production finally ramp up. Also, they might not be able to do any custom work when Tesla switches to Low voltage wiring (no more 12V).

I also paid extra to get my Valentine One wired and mounted as well as adding the magnetic phone mount and wiring an extra lightning cable.

I used them last year to do the same 3 installs on my wife's Model X and they are great guys and I highly recommend them if you want your dashcam professionally installed.

Attachments

• IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 651
  • IMG_0344.jpg
    IMG_0344.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 646
  • IMG_0347.JPG
    IMG_0347.JPG