Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam powered by USB Battery Pack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sbtz

Jan 18, 2016
CA
So rather than figuring out how to get always-on USB (5V?) power, has anyone tried to just power a dash cam with one of those USB batteries/powerbanks?

Seems like the typical ways of powering a dashcam are the 12V in the mic grill (would have to be stepped down for 5V), the cigarette lighter port (kind of obtrusive), or the car's USB ports (some dash cams mistake this for plugging into a computer).

I figured I could just run the dashcam to a USB Battery, which is continuously topped off by the car while I drive. I'm guessing that this would shorten the life of the USB battery, but by how much, I don't know...

I was going to do this for my Amazon Dot but there are very few USB battery packs that support pass through charging and even those generally switch the power off when a new charge input is detected. That means you would have to manually turn the battery pack back on every time you get in the car. I couldn't find a way to do it completely hands free and automated.

I was going to do this for my Amazon Dot but there are very few USB battery packs that support pass through charging and even those generally switch the power off when a new charge input is detected. That means you would have to manually turn the battery pack back on every time you get in the car. I couldn't find a way to do it completely hands free and automated.

I use this pack to keep my "free" LG Android phone charged up automatically (which I use as a hotspot for my BlackVue dashcam):
Amazon.com: RAVPower Deluxe Series 10050mAh 2.4A Output, 2A Input Universal Portable Charger - White: Cell Phones & Accessories

Keeps the phone on when the X 12V accessory outlet turns off (and recharges when driving or when HPWC at night).

I use this pack to keep my "free" LG Android phone charged up automatically (which I use as a hotspot for my BlackVue dashcam):
Amazon.com: RAVPower Deluxe Series 10050mAh 2.4A Output, 2A Input Universal Portable Charger - White: Cell Phones & Accessories

Keeps the phone on when the X 12V accessory outlet turns off (and recharges when driving or when HPWC at night).

I looked at the RavPower line, and some articles mentioned they had pass-through charging. I didn't see any mention of pass-through charging for this model though. Does it also continue to power the phone automatically when the 12v system comes on or do you have to manually start it each time? That would be less of an issue for something that has an internal battery like a cell phone. I was trying to use it to power a Dot which has no internal battery, so when the power cut off so did the Dot.

The 12v outlet in my MS does not come on when the car is plugged in to the UMC, only when I am driving it. I wish it did as that would be great to make sure everything was fully charged up every night, but it doesn't.

I looked at the RavPower line, and some articles mentioned they had pass-through charging. I didn't see any mention of pass-through charging for this model though. Does it also continue to power the phone automatically when the 12v system comes on or do you have to manually start it each time? That would be less of an issue for something that has an internal battery like a cell phone. I was trying to use it to power a Dot which has no internal battery, so when the power cut off so did the Dot.

The 12v outlet in my MS does not come on when the car is plugged in to the UMC, only when I am driving it. I wish it did as that would be great to make sure everything was fully charged up every night, but it doesn't.

This model does indeed power the phone automatically whenever the 12V outlet is powered, no need to press a button or "shake to wake..." I did go through a few different ones before finding this Rav power unit that does have the pass through capability. I'm using the others elsewhere so no loss there. You do have a point with the phone having it's own battery in addition to the capacity of the power pack. If the power pack runs out, then the Dot will turn off. I might try getting a Dot and testing it together with power pack. Soon I'll have Alexa, and Siri, and perhaps Jarvis, or whatever Tesla will call it's voice AI when it finally actually "works."

This model does indeed power the phone automatically whenever the 12V outlet is powered, no need to press a button or "shake to wake..." I did go through a few different ones before finding this Rav power unit that does have the pass through capability. I'm using the others elsewhere so no loss there. You do have a point with the phone having it's own battery in addition to the capacity of the power pack. If the power pack runs out, then the Dot will turn off. I might try getting a Dot and testing it together with power pack. Soon I'll have Alexa, and Siri, and perhaps Jarvis, or whatever Tesla will call it's voice AI when it finally actually "works."

Now that the Amazon Tap supports the use of the wake word without having to push a button, it might be a better option. I am trying it out now (had one already) and like it better than the Dot. It has its own battery, and also a much better speaker than the Dot. I like to keep my phone connected to Bluetooth, so having the Tap with a decent speaker is helpful as I mainly use it for home automation related items. I sometimes use it for the flash briefing and audio books as well, and the Tap's speaker works great for that and lets me keep my phone connected in case a call comes in or something.