Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Day Two of owning a Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats on the car. When people ask me when I got mine I tell them August 11th, at 10am. They always laugh and say, "not like you remember exactly when, huh?". Because that date is when the ICE died to me. When my wife takes the Tesla I stay home, it's now been almost two months since driving one of "those" cars. I love it every single time I get in.

Reactions: ColBatGuano
Why do you think the car is priced less than a new car? If you want a car that hasn't had people demoing it, order a new one at full price.

Yeah, pretty much this. I will point out that any defect due to the thousands of people opening doors, sitting in seats, adjusting the steering wheel, etc... is why you have a 4y/50k warranty from your personal in-service date, not the build date!

For those familiar with my thread about my impending upgrade last March, my bf turned down my offer of a free Tesla (I wanted to give him my old one so I could keep both). At one point while he was driving yesterday he said, "well, I have to start driving my car again after today..." (A 2014 RS Camaro convertible). Guess he should've taken the free Tesla.

Dear @Btrflyl8e,

I've been hanging out in this forum since, IIRC, something like May '13. I have read many thousands of posts, including yours. But the post you just sent has now taken the prize as the single most shocking thing I've read here. Heck, maybe that I've read anywhere.

You bf may be thoughtful. He may be intellectually deft. He may be adorable. He may be as handsome as Adonis. He may be incredibly gifted and talented. He may be the cat's meow, the best thing since sliced bread, God's gift to women. He may even idolize you, in his own cute but limited way. But tragically, he's also an idiot.

So swap him out and replace him with me.

I'll gladly solve the free Tesla problem. I admit, there are a few areas in which I may differ from your current bf, perhaps radically and for the worse, including but not limited to: thoughtfulness, intellect, adorableness, handsomeness, giftedness, talentedness, meow-i-ness, slicedness, and giftliness. But I sure as heck can do idolization and I'm definitely smart enough to handle the free Tesla ownership "problem".

I anticipate no problem explaining all this to my wife, who obviously will perfectly understand the need to obtain the free Tesla(*).

Alan

(*)My wife might also impose some additional conditions, such as you have to keep me, force me to lose weight, and/or put me through several rounds of cosmetic surgery until I resemble a younger Robert Redford or at the very least a recent Bernie Sanders. She's a fantastic wife, but hey, we're talking about a free Tesla here and the possibility that she can then grab MY Tesla....

Dear @Btrflyl8e,

I've been hanging out in this forum since, IIRC, something like May '13. I have read many thousands of posts, including yours. But the post you just sent has now taken the prize as the single most shocking thing I've read here. Heck, maybe that I've read anywhere.

You bf may be thoughtful. He may be intellectually deft. He may be adorable. He may be as handsome as Adonis. He may be incredibly gifted and talented. He may be the cat's meow, the best thing since sliced bread, God's gift to women. He may even idolize you, in his own cute but limited way. But tragically, he's also an idiot.

So swap him out and replace him with me.

I'll gladly solve the free Tesla problem. I admit, there are a few areas in which I may differ from your current bf, perhaps radically and for the worse, including but not limited to: thoughtfulness, intellect, adorableness, handsomeness, giftedness, talentedness, meow-i-ness, slicedness, and giftliness. But I sure as heck can do idolization and I'm definitely smart enough to handle the free Tesla ownership "problem".

I anticipate no problem explaining all this to my wife, who obviously will perfectly understand the need to obtain the free Tesla(*).

Alan

(*)My wife might also impose some additional conditions, such as you have to keep me, force me to lose weight, and/or put me through several rounds of cosmetic surgery until I resemble a younger Robert Redford or at the very least a recent Bernie Sanders. She's a fantastic wife, but hey, we're talking about a free Tesla here and the possibility that she can then grab MY Tesla....
This had me laughing out loud, alone in my living room this morning. Thanks for the great start to my day!

Alas, the free Tesla has been long gone. Sold for actual money in late March. Your wife is just going to have to keep you.

As I was pointing out the miles already on my Tesla #2 when we got home (nearly 12,000 miles since my May 25th delivery), he showed me the mileage on his 2014 Camaro, purchased in November of 2014, I believe. 8,000. That's right, 8,000. In nearly two years. I guess he figured a Tesla would be wasted on him?

I'd rather drive one mile a day in a Tesla, but hey, that's just me.

I'd rather drive one mile a day in a Tesla, but hey, that's just me.

+1000.

Gee, I dunno, sell the low-mileage Camaro, take the free (OMG! still can't believe this) Tesla, drive another 8K miles while spending zero on gas and oil, in the awesome car, go around bragging to your friends that you are so great that your girlfriend showers gifts on you... I mean, really, there's just no downside here that I can detect....

While I'm working on taxes the rest of today -- OK, figuring out which pieces of paper to feed to the accountant -- I'm gonna be thinking of that free Tesla offer and wondering how to get The Wife thinking that she needs to compete with you.

This thread is great. My gf thought I was nuts at first then after we passed on our first deal we found a second we missed out on, then when the third and best deal popped up she said go for it.

Then she told me to keep my 335 and turn it into a street-able track car; we had to sell my M3 race car when we moved recently. I guess she needs a big shiny ... ring.

I took delivery of my new Model S 90 on October 6 in Tampa. It came with ants inside and outside, which I am still killing with bait. There is a fit and finish problem with the body in front of the driver's side rear wheel. Most annoying is that the refreshed front end comes with a license plate bracket, never shown in Tesla ads, which I don't need in Florida. The delivery gal said its easy to take off with 2 screws and some Goo Gone or other cleaner. Actually, the "2 screws" are special bolts for which I can't get a socket to fit at Home Depot or Lowes. Then Tampa emailed me and said that the bracket has to stay on because the new model was crash tested with it on and it is needed to prevent 5mph crash damage. The quality is not nearly up to the price.

I took delivery of my new Model S 90 on October 6 in Tampa. It came with ants inside and outside, which I am still killing with bait. There is a fit and finish problem with the body in front of the driver's side rear wheel. Most annoying is that the refreshed front end comes with a license plate bracket, never shown in Tesla ads, which I don't need in Florida. The delivery gal said its easy to take off with 2 screws and some Goo Gone or other cleaner. Actually, the "2 screws" are special bolts for which I can't get a socket to fit at Home Depot or Lowes. Then Tampa emailed me and said that the bracket has to stay on because the new model was crash tested with it on and it is needed to prevent 5mph crash damage. The quality is not nearly up to the price.

Took 5 minutes for me to take off the bracket. Many threads on here about it. Angle plies get the screws loose and then fingers do the rest. My glue came off quickly. if the can needs the bracket for crash reasons, I would ask why the ads (and many demo cars) don't have them.

+1000.

Gee, I dunno, sell the low-mileage Camaro, take the free (OMG! still can't believe this) Tesla, drive another 8K miles while spending zero on gas and oil, in the awesome car, go around bragging to your friends that you are so great that your girlfriend showers gifts on you... I mean, really, there's just no downside here that I can detect....

While I'm working on taxes the rest of today -- OK, figuring out which pieces of paper to feed to the accountant -- I'm gonna be thinking of that free Tesla offer and wondering how to get The Wife thinking that she needs to compete with you.
The Camaro is convertible, and I guess that's incredibly important to him? I can't it figure it out, either.

The Camaro is convertible, and I guess that's incredibly important to him? I can't it figure it out, either.
Easily solved

tesla-model-s-convertible-by-newport-convertible-engineering_100504602_h.jpg

Easily solved

tesla-model-s-convertible-by-newport-convertible-engineering_100504602_h.jpg

I liked the idea. Not really a fan of what Newport ended up doing, though. :(

I really don't understand why no one will build a plug in without a roof. There's the original Roadster, and a Smart car version. As far as I can tell, that's it.

Fisker was planning a convertible Karma version, and Road and Track teased an April Fool's Volt ragtop.

So i was fortunate enough to pick up an inventory White 75, Pano, AutoPilot, Tan leather with Sub zero on late Wednesday. Honestly I have been looking at Tesla's for a couple of years and seriously crunching the numbers since July. But i was not really ready to buy. I took one home overnight a couple of weeks ago. Which was surreal in itself. Then I found out about the discounts that were out on the inventory vehicles. Which basically sealed the deal for me. Only problem was by this time there were none on the Tesla website that met my one unchangeable requirement of no black leather seats. (gets way too hot here in the south to have black leather. Been there, done that, wont do it again) Luckily my OA found one that was "close enough" with the discounts and a some fees waived.
Everything about the sales experience was unlike any other car i have bought. First of all I did a loan. Which was a two minute application online. Received an email saying i was approved. And a four minute phone call that i did on the fifth hole of the golf course between shots. Way too simple there.
Delivery was a breeze as well. I arrived about 15 minutes early via Uber. And sat in the lounge long enough to get a water and check email. Two Tesla employees came and got me to go see the car. We walked around the car for about 10 minutes trying to find something wrong with the car. (found no problems) Then another 3-5 minutes at a computer to pay and sign docs. Then i spent about 45 minutes with a Tesla rep going over the car and its features. Which was pretty much a refresher course. And they drove it out of the showroom. handed me the keys. And i was officially a Tesla owner.
But what is weird is don't feel like i own the car yet. I did not have to go thru all of the typical BS that you have to do to get a car. No one insulted me by telling me that i might not qualify for the loan special rate. (I have gone to other dealerships to buy a car out of spite because of this in the past) No one ignored my calls or emails. No one pushed me off to someone else when i had questions. (They found the answers themselves.) And basically no one told me No!
Today driving to work it still does not seem like it is mine. I almost feel like i'm just on a two day take home test drive. A car this awesome cant possibly me mine. And I have owned very nice cars before. This one just seems very different. Almost feels like dating a Super Model. You know like she's way outta my league and i may wake up and be pissed it was only a dream.
Anyone else having trouble with the realization that "It's Mine!"
I may feel differently when that first payment comes due?
Love your story- it makes it worth the wait many of us are having for our model X!!!

I liked the idea. Not really a fan of what Newport ended up doing, though. :(

I really don't understand why no one will build a plug in without a roof. There's the original Roadster, and a Smart car version. As far as I can tell, that's it.

Fisker was planning a convertible Karma version, and Road and Track teased an April Fool's Volt ragtop.
Give it time, I'm sure once EVs are commonplace, it will happen. Right now, convertibles are second or third, or weekend cars for most of their owners and doubt many people would pay the premium for EV version right now. Yes, I know people do have convertibles as primary cars, but I think that is the minority.

Just be patient, they will come...