Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dc combo for USA port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if this CCS combo would work on salvage Tesla cars who cannot use a Tesla Supercharger?

In fact, can a salvage Tesla cars use a CHAdeMO adapter?
There is 2 separate options
Sc
Other fc

The way Tesla is treating salvage cars is to disable all DCFC. So, the answer to the latter is no and the former is probably also no.

In general Tesla disable Sc, problem is other FC can be not enabled from factory, meaning, after disable Sc , both are disabled...

The real question is can they really not do it? Elon is the guy who can put rockets in space and electric cars on the roads, I'm sure that it is possible. Now do they WANT to do it, that is the better question. To that I would say I doubt it, they probably don't want competition for their charging network. Such as in places like Australia, where it now costs more to drive your Tesla on a road trip than a gas car: Tesla Supercharging now more expensive than petrol refuelling

In the EU they were forced to do it by regulation, but I doubt we'll see that in NA anytime soon. The Chademo adapter is NOT direct competition to supercharging, it is too damn slow. However, a well made CCS adapter could be direct competition.

At the end of the day, Tesla's mission is to advance the use of renewable energy. The supercharging network is a brilliant idea to promote that and to sell more cars. I've always felt that the ability to use any DC fast charger adds value to a Tesla. Myself, I have one Tesla, and I am seriously considering buying another. A big factor in my purchase will be the availability of DC fast charging... (And adding more service centers, but I am getting off topic now...)

Reactions: AdamMacDon
At the end of the day, Tesla's mission is to advance the use of renewable energy. The supercharging network is a brilliant idea to promote that and to sell more cars. I've always felt that the ability to use any DC fast charger adds value to a Tesla. Myself, I have one Tesla, and I am seriously considering buying another. A big factor in my purchase will be the availability of DC fast charging... (And adding more service centers, but I am getting off topic now...)
Yeah, I'm very familiar with the super secret plan, and I fully support that. I love my Tesla too, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with every decision the company makes. Forcing us to use their network for charging isn't really ideal, IMO. Back when it was free (promised initially as "free forever" by Elon), I didn't mind so much, but as the price keeps climbing every year and energy prices are actually going down, my opinion is changing.

[...] but as the price keeps climbing every year and energy prices are actually going down, my opinion is changing.

The cost of the Supercharger network to Tesla is governed by a lot more than the price of electricity.

Anyway, I am intrigued by the new third-party CCS adapter, but will wait until I have better assurance of its safety, reliability, and effectiveness.

The question remains if these guys can do it why doesn’t Tesla do it. I’m sure there are good reasons but still curious.

I am sure Tesla can easily do it. After the retrofit issues in Europe, I bet new units were designed to easily take an adapter even in North America. They see the writing on the wall.

As to why, it is simply that they want to force folks to their Superchargers. The more use they get from paying customers, the more they can build things out. Tesla is all about proprietary solutions and having a captive audience is a dream. They will only provide an adapter when forced to like they were in Europe.

I have an ID.4 on order so will be driving a Tesla for much longer or I would consider it.

Hopefully you don't need the ID.4 right away: Volkswagen's Electric ID.4 Is Already Delayed For America: Report

The U.S. rollout of the Volkswagen ID4 has been delayed from late December until late in the first quarter of 2021, in part to shift output of the electric compact crossover to markets in Europe, where the company is facing large fines for not hitting emissions targets, Automotive News has learned.

Though a three month delay, if it stays that short, isn't so bad.

• Disagree
Reactions: Reeler
I think the main reason they provided an adapter for S & X vehicles in Europe was so that they could use the V3 Superchargers that only have CCS connectors. As Tesla continues to build out the network with new sites as V3-Only, it was going to become a problem.

Say what? Is Tesla moving toward CCS only as its fast charging interface in Europe? Maybe I am misunderstanding.

Say what? Is Tesla moving toward CCS only as its fast charging interface in Europe? Maybe I am misunderstanding.
All V2 Superchargers in Europe, Australia and New Zealand have been upgraded to dual cables with the Tesla Type-2 and CCS cables.
All V3 Superchargers installed in Europe only have CCS connectors. Therefore, only Tesla vehicles with a CCS charge port like the Model 3 or Tesla vehicles with a CCS to Type-2 adapter like is available for Model S and Model X can charge at those stations. If your Model S or X vehicle is older and does not have the hardware to speak the CCS protocol, the new V3 stations will not show up on the car's navigation screen. The opposite was also true when V2 Superchargers had not been updated with CCS cables, Model 3 cars would not show sites that had not been upgraded.

So do you think that that means, long-run, the native Tesla connector is on the way out? I have not personally tried a CCS (given that I have a North American Tesla), but I have seen it and it looks a bit clunky compared to the Tesla connector. And certainly the Tesla connector is capable of V3 charging, given that is what we have on new Superchargers in North America.

I can see the advantage of a single industry wide standard, but I would be happy enough if Tesla kept its proprietary solution for its Supercharger network, provided that a good CCS adapter was also available for places where a Supercharger is not available.

So do you think that that means, long-run, the native Tesla connector is on the way out? I have not personally tried a CCS (given that I have a North American Tesla), but I have seen it and it looks a bit clunky compared to the Tesla connector. And certainly the Tesla connector is capable of V3 charging, given that is what we have on new Superchargers in North America.

I can see the advantage of a single industry wide standard, but I would be happy enough if Tesla kept its proprietary solution for its Supercharger network, provided that a good CCS adapter was also available for places where a Supercharger is not available.

Strongly doubt Tesla connector is on the way out. They have the largest charging network in North America. And you're right, it's WAY less clunky than CCS. It may also require Tesla to change every adapter on all Superchargers, not going to happen. Tesla will stick with their own connector for Supercharging, but I hope they offer a CCS adapter so we have other options as well.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Strongly doubt Tesla connector is on the way out. They have the largest charging network in North America. And you're right, it's WAY less clunky than CCS. It may also require Tesla to change every adapter on all Superchargers, not going to happen. Tesla will stick with their own connector for Supercharging, but I hope they offer a CCS adapter so we have other options as well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tesla adding CCS connectors to all new/replaced SuC 'pumps' (cans? stalls?), then going with a mix of single CCS and CCS/Telsa pumps at new sites, then down to just 1 or 2 Tesla dedicated pumps per site with the rest CCS-only, just like EA is doing with CHAdeMO (only having 1 or 2 with both, and the rest CCS per charge location). Timing will be based on aggregated statistics of vehicles they see charging at various sites and with which connection...

But, with that said, it won't been soon, at least here in the US. I would bet 5 years out before they start phasing them out.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tesla adding CCS connectors to all new/replaced SuC 'pumps' (cans? stalls?), then going with a mix of single CCS and CCS/Telsa pumps at new sites, then down to just 1 or 2 Tesla dedicated pumps per site with the rest CCS-only, just like EA is doing with CHAdeMO (only having 1 or 2 with both, and the rest CCS per charge location). Timing will be based on aggregated statistics of vehicles they see charging at various sites and with which connection...

But, with that said, it won't been soon, at least here in the US. I would bet 5 years out before they start phasing them out.
I'd take that bet. People also said that about Apple, but most people realized they never would. Just like Apple, it may take a wireless standard to finally phase their plug out.

Reactions: Janus and MP3Mike