Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Debadging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015-10-07 18.12.33.jpg

I had to debadge when I got the entire car wrapped in Xpel Ultimate.

Instead of replacing the chrome (which I've been deleting), I got a sheet of Matte Xpel Ultimate and cut out TESLA and P85D.

It really doesn't come through in this photo, but the efffect is 3D. People cannot tell what's going on until they rub across the lettering. More often than not, people think I cut the lettering out of the gloss Xpel, rather than adding the matte on top.
DSC_1437Badging.jpg

We are conditioned to focus on texts, over shapes and colors.
E.g. the test to rapidly name colors of printed texts will learn that the answer in case of the text 'RED', printed in yellow, will be 'red'.
That's why I debadge my cars and turn off the subtitles of movies, whenever possible.

IMHO the car looks "cleaner" without the extra glue on badges they insist on placing on the car. In the case of MB especially in 3rd world nations the badges on the cars denote the engine size/value of the car and some people don't like to overly ostentatious. remember in the rest of the world the MB are working cars like taxis, only in the US and the most expensive ones are considered luxury vehicles.

I have no badging at all on the back of the Model S right now, since it was removed during the xPel install, and Tesla Service center did not have any new badging in stock.

I've grown to like it this way, but would like the Center T back. It seem silly to buy a new T, since un like the individual letters, it's pretty big I should be able to use some sort of double sided adhesive or something to attach it.

I assume I could use something like this: Amazon.com: 3M (38582) 1/4 Exterior Attachment Tape: Automotive or would a glue like this work better: Amazon.com: 3M 03601 Plastic Emblem and Trim Adhesive: Automotive

Anyone have any experience or suggestions about reattaching the T?

Last edited: