Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deepak vs. Wheeler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to get the group's thoughts on Jason vs Deepak. I can't help but think back fondly on Jason Wheeler.

Under Deepak, it seems like financials and operations get worse. Yes, ramping up should increase CapEx significantly, but I just felt that under Jason, we had a much tighter leash on Opex and CapEx. I worry with Deepak at the helm, things will only get worse.

Also, Jason was much better at communicating our fears to the street. With Deepak, things seem more disorganized. Elon needs more operators that are capable of executing, and although Finance should never lead the ship, it does seem that there is a difference when we switched back to the Deepak days.

Personally I love the unexpected crazy spending, it means they're not holding back. TSLA investors will always be fine, and unexpected bad financial news only means a fresh buying opportunity. I'm sure Elon doesn't care much about the needs of folks looking to trade in TSLA.

. He appeared to me to have Tesla finances in better shape/control, was more articulate and EM actually deferred to him during the conference calls.

Total speculation: He left because he was against the SCTY acquisition.

Just one person's opinion.

To be more accurate, your speculation would be that he was fired because he was against the SCTY acquisition. Very possibly. The timing backs it up.

The only good thing about SCTY is that it was 1/10 the size of Tesla, so the damage was relatively small. Oh, and the other good thing is that I made money buying SCTY bonds :).